anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AAN?

General automotive discussion

anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AAN?

Postby vwnut8392 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:03 pm

i was recently give a holset HX35W by a friend of mine and im considering installing it on the 4000 as it looks to be an upgrade over the T3T04E thats one the car now. i dont want to waste my time fitting this turbo if there will be no beneficial gain over what i have now.

i did realize the holset is a twin scroll turbine housing and from reading that makes the housing smaller than my current turbo although it seems there is an option for a non divided turbine housing and that makes larger than my current turbo. the compressor side inducer on the T3T04E i have now is 50mm and the holset is 56mm, not much of a jump but it will move a little more air. im just still up in the air as to if it is an upgrade, downgrade or i would be staying on the same playing field.

by the looks of it the DSM crowd has done some pretty impressive things with the HX35 and HX40 so that leads me to believe the turbo wont hinder my performance any. the only thing i noticed is that their running a custom turbine housing on them so that they are direct bolt on to the DSM turbo manifolds which i know will affect how the turbo makes power drastically.
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby loxxrider » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:52 pm

This has been discussed plenty here there and everywhere else. The Holset will be an upgrade if you want to make more power. Then again, with your luck I'm not sure that more power is what you need.

Anyway, neither a divided nor non-divided exhaust housing on an HX35 is going to be smaller than your T3/T4 exhaust housing. I don't know how you got that idea. Again, a search would tell you that. 12cm^2 is the housing you want to use if you are using a T3 flange unless you get a custom exhaust housing. The 12 cm^2 is perfect though both for spool and top end on a roughly 400 whp 5 cyl. There is no reason not to use it. The HX35 with a 12 cm^2 housing will perform approximately the same as a gt3076, except with spool coming on about 2-300 RPM later.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
User avatar
loxxrider
 
Posts: 6640
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: Jupiter, FL / Somewhere, PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby themagellan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:04 pm

loxxrider wrote:This has been discussed plenty here there and everywhere else. The Holset will be an upgrade if you want to make more power. Then again, with your luck I'm not sure that more power is what you need.

Anyway, neither a divided nor non-divided exhaust housing on an HX35 is going to be smaller than your T3/T4 exhaust housing. I don't know how you got that idea. Again, a search would tell you that. 12cm^2 is the housing you want to use if you are using a T3 flange unless you get a custom exhaust housing. The 12 cm^2 is perfect though both for spool and top end on a roughly 400 whp 5 cyl. There is no reason not to use it. The HX35 with a 12 cm^2 housing will perform approximately the same as a gt3076, except with spool coming on about 2-300 RPM later.


Why again do so many of us not choose this as a realistic option more often? Is it simply because it takes machining, and adaption?

Specifically I guess i'm curious Loxx why you have shied away from talking about using this for any of your projects that have come up recently.

The options really are:

A hybrid k26/holset

or

A T3 Exhaust Manifold + the holset.
User avatar
themagellan
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Mar 5, 2013

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby vwnut8392 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:08 pm

loxxrider wrote:This has been discussed plenty here there and everywhere else. The Holset will be an upgrade if you want to make more power. Then again, with your luck I'm not sure that more power is what you need.

Anyway, neither a divided nor non-divided exhaust housing on an HX35 is going to be smaller than your T3/T4 exhaust housing. I don't know how you got that idea. Again, a search would tell you that. 12cm^2 is the housing you want to use if you are using a T3 flange unless you get a custom exhaust housing. The 12 cm^2 is perfect though both for spool and top end on a roughly 400 whp 5 cyl. There is no reason not to use it. The HX35 with a 12 cm^2 housing will perform approximately the same as a gt3076, except with spool coming on about 2-300 RPM later.

good information!

i have the ebay tubular manifold modified with a T3 flange.
my current turbo's specs are
-Turbine: .63 A/R Turbine
-Compressor Wheel: Exducer 3" / Inducer 2"
-Turbine Wheel: Exducer 2.2" / Inducer 2.58"

what i want to know is how the DSM community is whacking 500+ whp out of the HX35 on smaller engines than ours?
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby deaner » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:14 pm

vwnut8392 wrote:
what i want to know is how the DSM community is whacking 500+ whp out of the HX35 on smaller engines than ours?


Boost. Lots of it.
deaner
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Feb 28, 2015

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby vwnut8392 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:20 pm

so the next question i want to ask is how much boost can the stock rods/pistons really handle. some say only in the low to mid 20's and other have claimed to run in the mid to low 30's PSI wise on a stock bottom end. some say max power is between 400 to 500 and i've seen a few guys across the pond claim they have successfully setup an AAN to make around 600whp on a daily driven stock bottom end car. the range of boost levels and HP claims are huge so its hard to tell who to really believe.
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby themagellan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:51 pm

On a good tune an it has been documented that an AAN or 3b can hold 400 Wheel Torque before the rods become malleable. 350 Wheel torque is a much 'safer' number but still depends on many variables including:

Torque onset - When and how quickly the torque is applied over the power band based on your tuning set up/turbo hardware.
User avatar
themagellan
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Mar 5, 2013

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby vwnut8392 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:06 pm

themagellan wrote:On a good tune an it has been documented that an AAN or 3b can hold 400 Wheel Torque before the rods become malleable. 350 Wheel torque is a much 'safer' number but still depends on many variables including:

Torque onset - When and how quickly the torque is applied over the power band based on your tuning set up/turbo hardware.

there are a ton a variables there that all depend on the outcome of the power output. guess trial and error is the only way i'll figure out what my car is capable of.
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby ringbearer » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Trial and error gets expensive :)
User avatar
ringbearer
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: Nor-Cal

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby loxxrider » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:03 pm

themagellan wrote:
loxxrider wrote:This has been discussed plenty here there and everywhere else. The Holset will be an upgrade if you want to make more power. Then again, with your luck I'm not sure that more power is what you need.

Anyway, neither a divided nor non-divided exhaust housing on an HX35 is going to be smaller than your T3/T4 exhaust housing. I don't know how you got that idea. Again, a search would tell you that. 12cm^2 is the housing you want to use if you are using a T3 flange unless you get a custom exhaust housing. The 12 cm^2 is perfect though both for spool and top end on a roughly 400 whp 5 cyl. There is no reason not to use it. The HX35 with a 12 cm^2 housing will perform approximately the same as a gt3076, except with spool coming on about 2-300 RPM later.


Why again do so many of us not choose this as a realistic option more often? Is it simply because it takes machining, and adaption?

Specifically I guess i'm curious Loxx why you have shied away from talking about using this for any of your projects that have come up recently.

The options really are:

A hybrid k26/holset

or

A T3 Exhaust Manifold + the holset.


I don't know why others don't use Holsets more. The only downside is that they perform best from a power standpoint on the holset hotside rather than the k26 (in my opinion) and therefore you have to go to a different manifold and downpipe setup. It can be done cheaply, but it is more work and if you aren't capable of fabrication like that, it ends up costing almost as much as a gt-series turbo with k26 hotside would cost. I think the value all depends on how resourceful you are.

I haven't shied away from holsets on all of my projects. I still use them where I want a cheap but effective setup. My 635csi will probably get an HX40 (I have the turbo for it already in fact) if I ever get the time to play with it instead of everything else. Also, if the e34 ever gets a rear mount that will probably be a holset too.

However, I am not really interested in using one for the Avant. Why? Because the holset is still a compromise in the spool department, and these days I can afford not to compromise if I don't want to. The avant is special enough to not make compromises for! Within reason of course lol.


vwnut8392 wrote:so the next question i want to ask is how much boost can the stock rods/pistons really handle. some say only in the low to mid 20's and other have claimed to run in the mid to low 30's PSI wise on a stock bottom end. some say max power is between 400 to 500 and i've seen a few guys across the pond claim they have successfully setup an AAN to make around 600whp on a daily driven stock bottom end car. the range of boost levels and HP claims are huge so its hard to tell who to really believe.


The DSM guys make big power by running lots of boost and their heads are much more advanced than ours. They make more power with less boost and still run more boost than most of us do anyway!

For most people, the safe limit for torque (not power because power doesn't matter in this equation) is about 380 wtq. You can make 450 whp on stock rods probably, but you'd have to be revving past 8k to make it safe. Essentially you'd be keeping the torque down while extending the power via RPM. Again, with your luck I'd err on the side of caution ;) 400 whp is about the max I'm personally comfortable with. I'm sure it could be pushed further, but that's just asking for trouble. Throw some rods in the damned thing for $500. I can't believe you haven't by now with all the rebuilds you've been doing lately lol.

Boost-wise, you're talking 27-ish psi on an HX35 as the safe LIMIT on 93 octane. I always kept mine at around 25 in the hot Florida summers. The engine was squeaky clean when I pulled it out for the revver build.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
User avatar
loxxrider
 
Posts: 6640
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: Jupiter, FL / Somewhere, PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby vwnut8392 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:29 pm

loxxrider wrote:
themagellan wrote:
loxxrider wrote:This has been discussed plenty here there and everywhere else. The Holset will be an upgrade if you want to make more power. Then again, with your luck I'm not sure that more power is what you need.

Anyway, neither a divided nor non-divided exhaust housing on an HX35 is going to be smaller than your T3/T4 exhaust housing. I don't know how you got that idea. Again, a search would tell you that. 12cm^2 is the housing you want to use if you are using a T3 flange unless you get a custom exhaust housing. The 12 cm^2 is perfect though both for spool and top end on a roughly 400 whp 5 cyl. There is no reason not to use it. The HX35 with a 12 cm^2 housing will perform approximately the same as a gt3076, except with spool coming on about 2-300 RPM later.


Why again do so many of us not choose this as a realistic option more often? Is it simply because it takes machining, and adaption?

Specifically I guess i'm curious Loxx why you have shied away from talking about using this for any of your projects that have come up recently.

The options really are:

A hybrid k26/holset

or

A T3 Exhaust Manifold + the holset.


I don't know why others don't use Holsets more. The only downside is that they perform best from a power standpoint on the holset hotside rather than the k26 (in my opinion) and therefore you have to go to a different manifold and downpipe setup. It can be done cheaply, but it is more work and if you aren't capable of fabrication like that, it ends up costing almost as much as a gt-series turbo with k26 hotside would cost. I think the value all depends on how resourceful you are.

I haven't shied away from holsets on all of my projects. I still use them where I want a cheap but effective setup. My 635csi will probably get an HX40 (I have the turbo for it already in fact) if I ever get the time to play with it instead of everything else. Also, if the e34 ever gets a rear mount that will probably be a holset too.

However, I am not really interested in using one for the Avant. Why? Because the holset is still a compromise in the spool department, and these days I can afford not to compromise if I don't want to. The avant is special enough to not make compromises for! Within reason of course lol.


vwnut8392 wrote:so the next question i want to ask is how much boost can the stock rods/pistons really handle. some say only in the low to mid 20's and other have claimed to run in the mid to low 30's PSI wise on a stock bottom end. some say max power is between 400 to 500 and i've seen a few guys across the pond claim they have successfully setup an AAN to make around 600whp on a daily driven stock bottom end car. the range of boost levels and HP claims are huge so its hard to tell who to really believe.


The DSM guys make big power by running lots of boost and their heads are much more advanced than ours. They make more power with less boost and still run more boost than most of us do anyway!

For most people, the safe limit for torque (not power because power doesn't matter in this equation) is about 380 wtq. You can make 450 whp on stock rods probably, but you'd have to be revving past 8k to make it safe. Essentially you'd be keeping the torque down while extending the power via RPM. Again, with your luck I'd err on the side of caution ;) 400 whp is about the max I'm personally comfortable with. I'm sure it could be pushed further, but that's just asking for trouble. Throw some rods in the damned thing for $500. I can't believe you haven't by now with all the rebuilds you've been doing lately lol.

Boost-wise, you're talking 27-ish psi on an HX35 as the safe LIMIT on 93 octane. I always kept mine at around 25 in the hot Florida summers. The engine was squeaky clean when I pulled it out for the revver build.

great info! so it looks like its worth it to swap it in for now. over all i only want 500 to 550whp out of the car. i dont want crazy power anymore. i think it will be plenty fast at those power levels with how light the 4000 chassis is especially if i gut it out. the dude who gave the me HX35W said he had an HX40W i can have for nothing too. this guy is really big into dodge/cummins and is always building big power compound turbo setup's and such so the stock turbo's dont really mean much to him. he thought this HX35 was locked up but in reality all that was wrong was the someone took the snap ring off that holds the compressor housing on and the housing tilted which wouldnt let the wheel spin. i even told him thats all that was wrong with it and he didnt care lol. so i need to find one of those snap rings to hold the compressor housing on and than i'll be in business.

do you know if the stock turbine housing is the same as 5 bolt ford or not? my downpipe is setup with a 5 bolt ford flange and i hope its the same.
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby loxxrider » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:29 pm

I don't know on the flange.

You will not make 500 whp on the hx35. Not physically possible for that compressor on our engines.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
User avatar
loxxrider
 
Posts: 6640
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: Jupiter, FL / Somewhere, PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby vwnut8392 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:52 pm

loxxrider wrote:I don't know on the flange.

You will not make 500 whp on the hx35. Not physically possible for that compressor on our engines.


obviously you've ran a few of these on 20V's over the years, what kind of power did you get out of them? or should i ask if you have pushed the the limit of an HX35 on the 20v to see what it can do?

i managed to get a copy of the factory holset parts catalog software! this is really freaking useful!
Attachments
12006374_10153059096836771_4449606938117245152_n.jpg
12006374_10153059096836771_4449606938117245152_n.jpg (82.23 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby mushasho » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:57 am

ringbearer wrote:Trial and error gets expensive :)


Sometimes we go the trail and error route with knowing it...


The more I think about Holsets the more I feel that the torque onset would be soo soft on those that if there was ever a turbo that can achieve a nice peak WHP number while keeping the block happy, it would be a Holset... I say do it... you can also always add sizzle to the turbo with billet wheels ect...
Image
User avatar
mushasho
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: North of Boston, MA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby dana » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:58 am

FWIW, i always felt like the torque onset on my car was brutal. It made it super fun. The dyno graph also backs this up.

I did have an hy35, so faster spool for sure.
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
User avatar
dana
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Oct 14, 2013

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby vwnut8392 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:36 pm

mushasho wrote:
ringbearer wrote:Trial and error gets expensive :)


Sometimes we go the trail and error route with knowing it...


The more I think about Holsets the more I feel that the torque onset would be soo soft on those that if there was ever a turbo that can achieve a nice peak WHP number while keeping the block happy, it would be a Holset... I say do it... you can also always add sizzle to the turbo with billet wheels ect...


i've been looking at billet compressor wheels and the bullseye performance .70 AR turbine housing to try and make flow more and spin a little faster.




dana wrote:FWIW, i always felt like the torque onset on my car was brutal. It made it super fun. The dyno graph also backs this up.

I did have an hy35, so faster spool for sure.


what holset did you run? lets see some dyno plots from it! im curious!
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby lucidmatt » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Check out my build thread for Holset HX35 turbo tidbits. I'll eventually get to installing it, but first I have to get a daily so I can take her off the road for an extended duration.
lucidmatt
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Mar 24, 2013

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby Draky » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:52 pm

dana wrote:FWIW, i always felt like the torque onset on my car was brutal. It made it super fun. The dyno graph also backs this up.

I did have an hy35, so faster spool for sure.

How much wheel power can HY35 make on the AAN?
Draky
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Jul 7, 2013

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby dana » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:29 am

I ran the hy35, it was only on the dyno once and it only made 310 whp, but I was having trouble with my boost control, and could only get low-mid 20's out of it for boost. Found the problem was a loose power supply on my auxiliary fuse board that fed the n75.

I was running it regularly at 30psi once I found that issue, but never went back to a dyno. It was enough power to get a full weight b3 90q down the quarter mile at 124 mph, so probably more than 310 wheel. Maybe 350-375 wheel? Not really sure. It was very fast as far as im concerned.

I do have a dyno sheet, but its faded old piece of paper. I guess I could take a photo of it.
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
User avatar
dana
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Oct 14, 2013

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby vwnut8392 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:17 pm

dana wrote:I ran the hy35, it was only on the dyno once and it only made 310 whp, but I was having trouble with my boost control, and could only get low-mid 20's out of it for boost. Found the problem was a loose power supply on my auxiliary fuse board that fed the n75.

I was running it regularly at 30psi once I found that issue, but never went back to a dyno. It was enough power to get a full weight b3 90q down the quarter mile at 124 mph, so probably more than 310 wheel. Maybe 350-375 wheel? Not really sure. It was very fast as far as im concerned.

I do have a dyno sheet, but its faded old piece of paper. I guess I could take a photo of it.


i'd like to see it the dyno sheet definitely! i know power to weight is the biggest key. my 4000 when it was a mostly stock AAN swap could easily run with a buddy's URS4 that had a pretty decent laundry list of mods. he was pissed lol. i was like well my car is 2800lbs with me in it, full interior, half a tank of gas and a bunch of random crap in the trunk and you car is floating around the 4000lb mark. power to weight thus why i put the AAN in the 4000 and could care less about making my over wight pig of an S6 avant go retarded fast.
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby mushasho » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:41 pm

vwnut8392 wrote:could care less about making my over wight pig of an S6 avant go retarded fast.


I like my pig though,... even though she doesn't like me at times when she's sick... I'd still like her to go fast though...
Image
User avatar
mushasho
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: North of Boston, MA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby vwnut8392 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:44 pm

mushasho wrote:
vwnut8392 wrote:could care less about making my over wight pig of an S6 avant go retarded fast.


I like my pig though,... even though she doesn't like me at times when she's sick... I'd still like her to go fast though...

I got ya. I want my pig to run good still just not focusing the time, money or effort into making it into a power house. The 4000 can go faster for less money cuz it doesnt need nearly the power the S6 requires to get there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby dana » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:56 am

here is the dyno from my hy35, not sure if you can even see whats going on here.

The setup was 7a engine with NG pistons. 8.5ish to 1, 2.3 liter. Tube header, 3" exhaust, precision 600hp intercooler, 034 IIC, 55lb injectors. Boost control was having issues (bad power connection terminal) and the boost was fluctuating around 21-24psi I think. Wish I had a run with it running solid at 30psi. I'm sure the curve would look similar with more peak hp and tq.
Image
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
User avatar
dana
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Oct 14, 2013

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby vwnut8392 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:41 pm

dana wrote:here is the dyno from my hy35, not sure if you can even see whats going on here.

The setup was 7a engine with NG pistons. 8.5ish to 1, 2.3 liter. Tube header, 3" exhaust, precision 600hp intercooler, 034 IIC, 55lb injectors. Boost control was having issues (bad power connection terminal) and the boost was fluctuating around 21-24psi I think. Wish I had a run with it running solid at 30psi. I'm sure the curve would look similar with more peak hp and tq.
Image


it doesnt look like bad power was made even with boost control issues. its a little hard to read the over all numbers at the bottom but it looks like it says 318whp and 233 ft/lbs torque. either way it looks like the turbo would still gain after hp after 7000rpm too if thats what the red plot line is. very interesting. so what im kind of seeing is build an AAN that can rev pretty high to use these turbo's. im thinking something like 8500 RPM+ perhaps? kind of like this turbo works better on engines up high. correct me if im wrong and thanks for sharing the dyno plot! if i ever get a chance to put the HX35W on my car and get it to the dyno i will post up a few plots from that train wreck as im going to call it lol.
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
User avatar
vwnut8392
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
Location: PA

Re: anyone here have experience with holset turbos on the AA

Postby loxxrider » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:49 pm

I think the HY35's hotside is too small to make much use of anything more than about 7500 RPM. The bigger hotsides available from holset are best for anything above that. Don't rev past 8k on a stock head. Past 8500 is troublesome without dry sump oiling due to limitations of the stock oil pump.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
User avatar
loxxrider
 
Posts: 6640
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: Jupiter, FL / Somewhere, PA

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest