Coilover springs

General automotive discussion

Coilover springs

Postby Mentosman42 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Had one of the front lower spring perches let go in the s6, planning on going the a1 coilover route but not because I want to go low. I have read through the DIY threads here and on MG and see that most people are saying to go with a 6" spring, would you still go with a 6" spring for a daily driver that sees snow? I honestly have no desire to lower the car from stock height and was wondering if a taller spring would be better for "stockish" height seeing how the OEM spring is like 15 inches.

Secondly, I was seeing that some people were saying that there is some clearance issues with the retaining nut for the strut and the 2.5" springs. Can this be cleared up by grinding the nut a bit or should I be looking for a barrel style spring to make some more room?

Lastly, what spring rates would everyone recommend for a comfortable ride. This is a land barge that needs to get me to work no matter the conditions so my biggest concern is keeping the subframe off the ground :lol:

Thinking 275-300 lbs/inch for a heavy car like the s6 would be ok?
95.5 ur-S6
83 20vt urQ
Mentosman42

Re: Coilover springs

Postby ringbearer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:17 am

Check out the barrel springs on the ground control site, I don't have any clearance issues with the gland nut and barrel springs. I'm 430 front and 500 rear, it's stiff for sure. I forget the length but you could probably go 8" or longer if you want stock height.
ringbearer

Postby Mentosman42 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:41 am

Awesome, I didnt specifically see barrel springs listed on their website but I sent an email and we will see what they say.
95.5 ur-S6
83 20vt urQ
Mentosman42

Postby ringbearer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:53 am

I haven't looked at it in a few years but it was its own menu/section. I hope they still offer them.
ringbearer

Postby speeding-g60 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:23 pm

You can clearance the nut a little bit that's not a big deal I just built another set myself here. For stock I would do 3 - 350 for weight and 8 inches or even more 10 inches but I'm not familiar with the S6 suspension just the B3 Coupe Quattro stuff

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
speeding-g60

Postby Mentosman42 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks Aaron, used your coilover DIY thread for most of the information I have now.

Talked to ground control and they have barrel springs but the lowest spring rate they have in 8" is 340# so I think thats what I am going to end up with. Ill probably grab a couple helper springs just to keep the main springs seated when unloaded if it is necessary. Ill figure out the rear in the near future but this is just to get the car back on the road to get to work and home. Gonna be funny driving it with 340 springs in the front and the stock springs in the rear :drive:
95.5 ur-S6
83 20vt urQ
Mentosman42

Postby pilihp2 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm not sure about Small chassis, but 6" was too small to work with on my Large chassis car on the fronts, I had to run at the top of the coil sleeve and it was slammed.
I had to go to a 7" at a later time and that's pretty perfect. Keep in mind I'm pretty low. The 6" work okay for the rears, but those aren't a macpherson strut design on the rear of the large chassis.

YMMV

EDIT: You literally said for your S6. I am idiot. Thanks.
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - just because

-Terrible at responding to PM's
pilihp2

Return to General