Just drove a 2014 Corvette

General automotive discussion

Just drove a 2014 Corvette

Postby maxnadri » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:19 pm

So my co worker has a 2014 corvette that she keeps as a second car. I was telling her about my build project and how I wanted my Audi wagon to be able to beat the typical corvette on the road. She said she would bring hers in so I could hammer it and catch a clue as to what I am up against. Today she threw me the FOB and I went for a spin. 7 spd manual, we were at 120 in 4th and it was pulling hard in 5th but we ran out of room and I backed off before I charged up on any traffic. It was nothing short of amazing, and to be honest a little disheartening as I think my project may not achieve its goals. I do not want to build a 0-60 car, in fact that is the least passionate part of driving for me. I want a merging on the freeway, see an open spot and grab it as fast as my thought process can think it. Basically like being on my Aprilia motorcycle, power is instant and covering distance is immediate.

I am pretty sure that vette could beat my bike, definitely in top speed, but the one thing that I LOVED about that car was how in 7th gear at 80 mph it was cruising at 1200 RPM?!! cylinder deactivation I am assuming. It was so quiet and smooth. Turning it to Track mode electronically took some baffling out and it put out a roar, just changed the entire dynamics of the car. I also like that the car has rev matching on the downshift in that mode, really nice feature.

Just posting some of my thoughts after the experience, seemed like a general topic and wanted to vent it out of my brain. Not sure anymore that 1000cc injectors, ethanol, EFR turbo and Large FMIC is going to do the trick with the rods stuffed in it. Rolling at 60 mph I think I could stay with it, but I want to decisively walk away from it lol.

Today has been food for thought
maxnadri

Re: Just drove a 2014 Corvette

Postby Mcstiff » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:01 am

Newer cars don't make it easy, especially when you start considering flexibility and comfort. That said, guys like Jim, Sean, Hap, Hank, etc set a good example of how to build these older cars.
Mcstiff

Postby dana » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 am

A quick google says they run a 12.2 @ 117 mph. That is definitely achievable in an old audi. Its going to be a bit harder with a big chassis, but its been done.

My stock rodded 90 went 11.7 @123, I can't remember what Nicks 200 was running for 1/4 times, but I think its been in the 11's, maybe with stock rods? I dont remember.
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
dana

Postby carl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Hmm, what, your goal is building a car for taking spots in traffic? Personally i'd just get an r32 golf for that. :D

Mind you for instant torque on tap a head that has vvt and a turbo with vgt would do well.
carl

Postby FFF » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Certainly amazing engineering in the new Vette - and they make almost as glorious of a sound as a 20vt, almost!
FFF

Postby chaloux » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 pm

I'd argue that my 4k, after being on the dyno, was close in a straight line to a normal newish Vette. Corners? No. Character? x10000. Could I have built it further to be hands-down "faster?" Sure.

I actually tried to have a go with a Vette on the highway once. He didn't even acknowledge I existed, lol. A little patina 4 door doesn't scream race me I guess.
Matt

01 Allroad 6speed - RS4 clutch, catless downpipes, stuklr tune
04 Jetta TDI - DC stage I clutch/14lb fw
DEATH by rust - 96 Audi A6 Avant 2.5l TDI
GONE :( 87 4ktq - 4 FOX SNAKES
DEAD :( - 1996 S6 mit TDI
chaloux

Postby maxnadri » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:09 pm

With time to process and reflect on everything about the corvette, its simply amazing to feel and hear a new sports car these days. New already being 4 years old... I am not building a car for taking spots in traffic. I am not sure how that was inferred, possibly by talking about open spots? R32 is not me, but to each their own which is why I have kept and keep on working on this old station wagon. It is up on jack stands again after running for 3 weeks, engine torn apart getting ready to stuff the rods in it. Marc is re working the VEMS unit next week and working up a turbo adapter for the EFR to go in, I think we are on track to have it running again by the end of this month. Then I can look at putting rims and tires on it and locate an air strip or some place I can test the boost out safely... I am thinking of the Bonneville Salt Flats again, this summer may be too soon, or it may not depending on how things go.

I guess its safe to say, I am not seeking to race anyone but I will be ready regardless.
maxnadri

Postby vt10vt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:54 pm

New cars make building old ones depressing for sure. When Marc tuned my A4 (rodded 1.8t, HX35, etc.) there was a new Golf R there that put down 20whp more than me with an intake, exhaust, downpipe and flash. It hurt a little, not going to lie even though that same A4 would walk away from a stock R.
-Shawn C.
2002 01E B6 A4 Built FYF, Built 1.8T, HX35 ~330whp
2001 S4 6spd Avant blk/blk, bone stock
1989 MC-1 200 Avant- MS1 MSnS -Gone but will never forget her lessons
1987 5ktq Sedan - Best $500 beater ever
vt10vt

Postby audifreakjim » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:12 am

The Vette's are pretty cool, no doubt. Also, don't go drive a new RS3. At the end of the day, there is always someone faster. It's all about the personality of these old cars and tinkering with them.
audifreakjim

Postby maxnadri » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:41 am

audifreakjim wrote:The Vette's are pretty cool, no doubt. Also, don't go drive a new RS3. At the end of the day, there is always someone faster. It's all about the personality of these old cars and tinkering with them.
That's exactly how I feel. I am not trying to be the fastest, but fast enough. I love driving the old wagon and I will keep tinkering on it for sure. At the same time since this isn't my daily driver AND I have to turn in my vw TDI, I think its time to upgrade to a newer a7 TDI or Q7 TDI and put a stage 3+ on it. The corvette has given me a lot to ponder for sure. I like the idea of a 400hp/580# daily driven coal blower. The newer cars really give a consumer so many options these days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri

Postby PRY4SNO » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:48 am

audifreakjim wrote:The Vette's are pretty cool, no doubt. Also, don't go drive a new RS3. At the end of the day, there is always someone faster. It's all about the personality of these old cars and tinkering with them.

Amen. :beer:
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby Mcstiff » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:23 pm

2 of my coworkers have RS3s, going to be hard to resist :hammer: Might change my plans for the 90.
Mcstiff

Return to General