Gas tank question, UrS4

General automotive discussion

Gas tank question, UrS4

Postby TCombs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 pm

I have a quick question about our gas tanks on the C4 S cars. I don’t know if all C4 cars are the same but I have read several times that our gas tanks are 21 gallons. I have experienced this in the short time I had my first S4. I filled it once as it was almost empty when I bought it and got either 20 or 21 gallons. But when I bought my second one, I filled it and I was only able to get 16-17 gallons and that is with the car almost on “E”. I think it was like right on “E” when I bought it and got 17. I have only drove my car about three times in the last three weeks or so now, and when I filled it today, it was almost empty I only got about 16. Is there something maybe with my charcoal canister or anything maybe I could look into? The fuel gauge does rear full, sometimes less than a needle off from full. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has some insight.
1994 Audi URS4 Emerald Green
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Re: Gas tank question, UrS4

Postby mrdeye » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:12 pm

When I owned an C4 S6 Avant it held 18 gallons of fuel. When the fuel gauge got into the red it had 2 gallons of fuel left. The last and only time I replaced a fuel pump on a C4 S car there was some rust on the floaty thing-a-mahicky that went to some electrical stuff. (AKA the fuel gauge sender???) It’s been awhile but think I remember the fuel gauge needle not quite on the full mark on my old S6. Hope this helps.
:beer:
Matt
Daily driver: '01 Toyota 4Runner
Project car: '84 Audi Coupe GT
Previous cars:
'95 S6 Avant, '87 5K TQ, '95 VW Golf, '84 VW Jetta turbo diesel, '84 VW GTI
mrdeye

Return to General