The Hot Mess: quattro converted + 07k swapped Coupe GT

Document and share your build!

Re: The Hot Mess: quattro converted + 07k swapped Coupe GT

Postby Afterthought » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:09 pm

vt10vt wrote:
Afterthought wrote:Man this is nutz. So much work I can’t imagine the time you have into it .
Did you blast it all yourself ?
Do you know what shift linkage you are going to run?

Yeah I blasted it all in my garage. Threw up some plastic sheeting and went to town. The good news was that my new compressor kept up the whole time, but it was still a solid two 6-8hr days over a weekend to get it all done.

I haven't gotten to a shift linkage yet, I was planning on starting with a B6 01E linkage but I ended up selling it. I need to go back and look at what you did in more detail and see if building from scratch is an option. I think the only way scratch-built is an option is if I do it now before the tunnel is in place.

Well yeah, so the reason I was asking about the linkage is you may want to look into that before you weld the tunnel in. You can look at what I did but there is a difference between B2 and B3 I know , the tunnel or the amount of clearance.
Basically all I did, in short - I didnt get any linkage or parts with my GBE. So I found an 01E lever arm and welded the small chassis ball on it, then I made the small arm that is perpendicular to the shift linkage , and i made a bracket for it to attach to the trans. But if you have a parts yard nearby you may not need to go through all that. Chris (Varia) has done both methods and in his B3 he used a B5 S4 shifter box and linkage and he said its night and day way better. So you may want to look into that as you could make it bolt up to your tunnel now. not sure... researching the linkage is like researching 5 - lug swaps so I just picked a direction and went with it ha.
On my B2 project I would like to use an S1 shifter if I can find it and mod the tunnel
Afterthought

Postby vt10vt » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Afterthought wrote:Well yeah, so the reason I was asking about the linkage is you may want to look into that before you weld the tunnel in. You can look at what I did but there is a difference between B2 and B3 I know , the tunnel or the amount of clearance.
Basically all I did, in short - I didnt get any linkage or parts with my GBE. So I found an 01E lever arm and welded the small chassis ball on it, then I made the small arm that is perpendicular to the shift linkage , and i made a bracket for it to attach to the trans. But if you have a parts yard nearby you may not need to go through all that. Chris (Varia) has done both methods and in his B3 he used a B5 S4 shifter box and linkage and he said its night and day way better. So you may want to look into that as you could make it bolt up to your tunnel now. not sure... researching the linkage is like researching 5 - lug swaps so I just picked a direction and went with it ha.
On my B2 project I would like to use an S1 shifter if I can find it and mod the tunnel

Great minds think alike. The linkage is definitely on the next round of things to look at, there's no S4s at the local yard but there's a couple 6spd Allroads so I think that should work. Been thinking about grabbing an Allroad trans and diff for the gearing anyway so maybe an opportunity to package deal? Lol

Getting the tunnel from the shifter back tacked into place is next on the list, then I should be able to deal with coolant pipes, shift linkage, and exhaust clearance and driveshaft/carrier bearing placement I think, so I'm sure I'll have some questions for you and the collective Audi brain trust in the next few weeks.
-Shawn C.
2001 S4 6spd Avant blk/blk - stock daily
2002 01E B6 A4 Built FYF, Built 1.8T, HX35 ~330whp
1989 MC-1 200 Avant- MS1 -Gone but will never forget her lessons
1987 5ktq Sedan - Best $500 beater ever
vt10vt

Postby highlander69 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Looking good :beer:
highlander69

Postby dana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:40 am

looking sweet. That old coupe had no idea what was in store for it sitting in that yard in Middlebury
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
dana

Postby vt10vt » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:31 am

dana wrote:looking sweet. That old coupe had no idea what was in store for it sitting in that yard in Middlebury

I certainly hope it's happier now than it was with that 3spd auto.
-Shawn C.
vt10vt

Postby 90quattrocoupe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:57 pm

I would like to make a suggestion. Since you are not going to have a front air supply to your radiator, I would suggest a triple pass radiator. Fluid takes the path of least resistance. If you use a single pass radiator, you will not get the full cooling effect. The fluid in the radiator will always flow easiest from the entry point to the outlet.
I say this from experience. One of the problems with having a V8 in my coupe, is that there is basically a wall 4 inches behind my radiator. Not good air flow. The air bounced back off the engine and slows down the movement of air through the radiator.
The first radiator installed by 034, never cooled the motor, enough. On track days I had to back off to keep the temps down, even on cool days. The radiator was single pass.
I changed it out to a triple pass. The fluid is now forced to go through a specific path from the inlet to the outlet. Now the temps are never high. I have a 87 degree thermostat and my fans are set for 92 degrees. If I am on the highway, the cooling is controlled by the thermostat. The fans don't even come on.

Just a thought.

Greg W.
90quattrocoupe

Postby vt10vt » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:39 am

90quattrocoupe wrote:I would like to make a suggestion. Since you are not going to have a front air supply to your radiator, I would suggest a triple pass radiator. Fluid takes the path of least resistance. If you use a single pass radiator, you will not get the full cooling effect. The fluid in the radiator will always flow easiest from the entry point to the outlet.
I say this from experience. One of the problems with having a V8 in my coupe, is that there is basically a wall 4 inches behind my radiator. Not good air flow. The air bounced back off the engine and slows down the movement of air through the radiator.
The first radiator installed by 034, never cooled the motor, enough. On track days I had to back off to keep the temps down, even on cool days. The radiator was single pass.
I changed it out to a triple pass. The fluid is now forced to go through a specific path from the inlet to the outlet. Now the temps are never high. I have a 87 degree thermostat and my fans are set for 92 degrees. If I am on the highway, the cooling is controlled by the thermostat. The fans don't even come on.

Just a thought.

Greg W.

I appreciate any input at all! The Subaru team actually used to run a 2 pass radiator, and what they found was that the additional pressure needed to push the coolant through the radiator twice dropped flow to a point where it couldn't effectively cool the motor. If the radiator was front-mounted I don't think that would ever become an issue, but when you have ~16 ft of coolant lines (8ft back, 8ft forward) flow becomes the main obstacle to overcome. If I do run into issues turning this radiator into a 2 pass wouldn't be hard and shouldn't require rerouting of any of my coolant lines.

In terms of airflow, I'm not too worried, I'm going to be running some pretty beefy fans and the fans/radiator will be very well ducted with a nice big outlet on the rear of the car, so I'm not sure I'll be sacrificing much in terms of airflow vs a front mount, but really who knows :idunno:
-Shawn C.
vt10vt

Previous

Return to Projects