The 90Q (07k?)

Document and share your build!

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:36 am

I haven’t worked on this in quite a long time . I started looking at a couple things i should keep moving along on .
Added 3 vacuum/pressure ports on the intake manifold , and one to the turbo for the pressure port for wastegate control.

I think After I find a way to bolt down my fuel rail , and secure the throttle cable , then I should be done adding things to the intake manifold .

For the water line to the turbo I’ll come off the Iabed engine mount block, then I was thinking of returning here, this metal pipe in the thermostat housing because it’s basically at the pump suction so I should have good flow . I would need to plug this anyways if I don’t use it .

Before I make these lines one thing I need to figure out is this . The oil cooler fits best like this but I could probably flip it if I wanted . The only reason I can thing to do that is that if I leave it this way , when I change the oil I’ll have whatever volume of oil (0.3qts) that is held in this cooler trapped and not able to drain out .
Afterthought

Re: The 90Q (07k?)

Postby mrdeye » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:55 am

In some mock up pics you had an oil cooler in front of the intercooler. Why not there or if there’s room behind it?? What if you filled the oil cooler up with ??? to see how much fluid is left in it. It’s not like all the oil completely drains out of the engine when changing the oil. I understand this is your pride and joy but engines don’t have feelings. A lil crud is not gonna kill it. It all goes through a filter.
:hide:
Mr.
Daily driver: '01 Toyota 4Runner
Project car: '84 Audi Coupe GT
Previous cars:
'95 S6 Avant, '87 5K TQ, '95 VW Golf, '84 VW Jetta turbo diesel, '84 VW GTI
mrdeye

Postby Afterthought » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:28 pm

mrdeye wrote:In some mock up pics you had an oil cooler in front of the intercooler. Why not there or if there’s room behind it?? What if you filled the oil cooler up with ??? to see how much fluid is left in it. It’s not like all the oil completely drains out of the engine when changing the oil. I understand this is your pride and joy but engines don’t have feelings. A lil crud is not gonna kill it. It all goes through a filter.
:hide:

It actually fits better the way it is in terms of hose routing , so I was leaning towards leaving it like this rather than flipping it upside down .

There is room in front of the cooler I just wanted to avoid preheating the air going into it If possible .
Afterthought

Postby Afterthought » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:36 pm

Battery box is done. I ended up using about a 19 foot cable for the positive .

Next up i think I’ll do fuel lines , maybe find a master cylinder and add some tie rods in the front .
Afterthought

Postby Afterthought » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:46 pm

Here’s some more progress .

Afterthought

Postby jretal » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:30 pm

Which fittings did you use on the hard line to AN?

Looks great!
jretal

Postby Afterthought » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:44 pm

jretal wrote:Which fittings did you use on the hard line to AN?

Looks great!

Those are AN -6 to 5/16” fittings .
The fuel line measure 0.3145 and 5/16 is actually 0.3125 to so use these you do need to do a little polishing to the tube .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Afterthought

Postby jretal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to end up doing the same thing w/ the 20vt swap. Ordered a pair of 90* ones from racetronix, but I think I like what you did better.
jretal

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:37 am

I think * I’ve added the last few things to the intake manifold . The intake air temp sensor bung is on and now I think that the throttle cable that I have should work , just need to make a simple bracket for it .
Oil cooler lines done . Hate working with large size AN hoses .
Still need to figure lines and location for the catch can but I wanted the more important things to find their place first .

I also shortened this line and made a bracket for it so it can’t twist out of place
Afterthought

Postby PRY4SNO » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56 am

It doesn't get as cold down there, but I still default to the fundamentals. The best place for your CC is on the passenger firewall, above the turbo/DP. As high up as you can get it while still allowing the hood to close normally.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24vt 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar
PRY4SNO

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:09 pm

PRY4SNO wrote:It doesn't get as cold down there, but I still default to the fundamentals. The best place for your CC is on the passenger firewall, above the turbo/DP. As high up as you can get it while still allowing the hood to close normally.

Ok. That makes sense . If I ever get it this one running I do usually drive my cars in the winter so that’s a good thought . Also I really need as much space on the other side as I can get, it’s already getting crowded over there .

Slim Rad fan and shroud

Another catch can ... version 2 .

Afterthought

Postby highlander69 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Looking Amazing !!

So looking forward to seeing it done. You've been busy, I see turbo coolant lines an oil cooler lines done.

You're getting closer.

Keep up the great work :beer: :beer: :beer:
highlander69

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Haven’t made any progress on this as I’ve been too overwhelmed with the rest of life . But anyway I am going to start working on some things here and try to get to the point where I can get close to starting the car .

Added 02 bung to downpipe

Modified the eBay throttle
Body to accept the AAN TPS

Made my main power connections . I need to figure out what to do about this plug . I have a parts harness I can get the plug from but I’m used to an alternator just having a single stud that the (exciter?)wire from the car hooks up to .

I installed the catch can I made and realized it was tiny so I made a bigger one . Ran out of 10AN hose but that will get routed back to intake pre-turbo
Afterthought

Postby dana » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:30 am

pat your welding and fab is looking awesome!
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
dana

Postby Afterthought » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:47 pm

dana wrote:pat your welding and fab is looking awesome!

Thanks man .
I like making stuff and quite often I end up remaking things, so this car has given me plenty excuses to practice tig, ha
Afterthought

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Here are a couple things I’ve been working on.

I redid my collector and manifold design , I like to redo things every once in a while to to improve what I didn’t like about the last one .
For the collector I shortened the pieces , welded the inside and out , did a little polishing on the inside . It takes a fair amount of extra time and effort and cost for consumables but the result is good .
I also switched the design around , so it’s still radial flow , however I was unhappy with how short runner #3 was on the last one so I started by running it to the farthest point on the collector now.

ImageImage
Last edited by Afterthought on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Afterthought

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:38 pm

Few small things . Oil pressure tap at front of head .

I hope to run this VEMS oil pressure sensor if I can figure out how to get it to tie in properly with VEMS .

Couple sheet metal pieces , one to hold the radiator , the other to direct air in.

And currently , working on the brakes .

For the brakes my plan was to throw it together as is , but I had fears of the stock vac booster and master being insufficient with the front and rear brakes both being upgraded . So I ended up just getting the ultra performance engineering kit to mount the dual stage vac booster .

So once I can sort out how to do the lines I should be good to go there .
I may run a bias valve to the rear as well
Afterthought

Postby PRY4SNO » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Lots of nice progress going on lately.

How did you like the brake booster kit from Alex? Finish looks immaculate, how's the fitment?

PRY4SNO

Postby Afterthought » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:03 pm

PRY4SNO wrote:Lots of nice progress going on lately.

How did you like the brake booster kit from Alex? Finish looks immaculate, how's the fitment?

Man that is a really nice kit . The only hard part of the job is getting the old stuff out .
Everything in the kit looks top notch quality . Hopefully soon I’ll be able to give some feedback on the performance aspect of it .
The hole in the firewall where the booster passes through, I did have to open that up just a tiny bit like maybe 1/16” or something .
Afterthought

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:08 pm

I’m working on something else now too. A better intake manifold .

Will be a CNC plate with built in velocity stacks , 3.5” or larger stacks , tapering down to 2.5 “ ID then circular curved runners with a bend around 45 degrees... transitioning from circular to oval at the head with a Billet flange .
Drive by wire TB setup
Just need to figure out a decent looking plenum design and TB placement .
But will Post some pics in a bit.

My goal was to make some sort of an intake that would work for front mount radiator but maybe not rule out side mount either
Afterthought

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:24 pm

I’m not planning on getting rid of my dual plenum manifold or changing anything on the 90, but I had some things I wanted to try to address from when I made the first manifold . A few things that I thought could be better if I was to make another one . I wanted to add curve to the runners, increase the size of the runners, maybe do a bigger plenum, and put the inlet over on the drivers side (not the center)
So right after I made my intake using the RMR oval tubing, I saw that LPS Fab came out with a formed piece in two halves to make the oval to circle transition in a straight or curved version and for a while
Now I’ve been planning on getting those to see what I can do

Runners :

The velocity stacks. You can see I'n the above pics I have some machined ones, and that is what I planned on using. But after I welded the runners up, I realized they are 2.5 OD not 2.5 ID. So I decided to make the plenum base in a billet piece instead with all the stacks machined in rather than making 5 more individuals then welding them all together to a plate.

2nd attempt , after cutting the first one and realizing that the radius was not as big as it could be .

I don’t have an intake flange yet and I can’t find one , so I’ll have to make it I guess . So with that in mind I know what the overall height will be , I made this piece just to simulate that height so I can figure out where the runner length should be .

Pic of a comparison to illustrate the maximum length of runners I’m shooting for , this is an IE intake- just using using this weld rod to roughly measure to the plenum base from the head... The IE intake runners are already pretty long. My head flange is pretty thick since it includes the injectors, so the LPS runners and my plenum base together is way too long which means the runners need to get trimmed .

Trimming the runners and getting them all the same again is proving to be quite difficult , but hopefully I’m in the right path .

After trimming them all with the band saw . A little on the long side - but they’re not all equal . I’m struggling to come up with a way to get them all the same .
So I just made a “jig” and that’s the first thing I’ll try. There will be a lot of sanding involved to get it right.
I think maybe what I should do is make something that will sleeve over the runner and use that for making them to make the cuts . Like a clamshell style thing . I don’t know

I really think that with the combined angle of the sealing surface on the head and the engine tilt the runners need a good bit or curve , so I think this will get me in the ballpark .

Soon ill finish the base and then figure out a decent shape and design. No idea exactly what to do with that

Foil “template”
Last edited by Afterthought on Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Afterthought

Postby mrdeye » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:09 am

WoW, nice work!! I like the wood template/pattern thingy! That’s old school baller status. ;) How do you like that angle finder/caliper ?
I like mine, good investment. :beer: ✌️
Mr.
Daily driver: '01 Toyota 4Runner
Project car: '84 Audi Coupe GT
Previous cars:
'95 S6 Avant, '87 5K TQ, '95 VW Golf, '84 VW Jetta turbo diesel, '84 VW GTI
mrdeye

Postby Afterthought » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:54 pm

That angle finder, I use it all the time .
someday I’ll get a hydraulic shear where I can cut 90 deg angles all day but for now I have to be real specific about measuring and sanding everything perfect , so I use that little thing all the time for that and for other things
Afterthought

Postby PRY4SNO » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Watching builds like this progress is why I tell guys at work that my only strengths with fabrication lies in resumes and alibis.

PRY4SNO

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:29 am

I think I have the brake lines figured out...
I remembered that there is a “tee” with the proper m10x1.0 bubble fittings in my parts car. Stole that and cleaned it up, then used an Eastwood flaring tool to make some lines.

Now before I can add fluid I just need to get the clutch sorted.
I can’t get it hooked up now because I don’t have all of the fittings I need . The fittings in the later B5+ 01E slave are odd , a weird push in fitting with a clip and then the connection from that hard line at the slave to the rubber hose is smaller than all the B3 stuff . M10 maybe .

So I’m Hoping to ditch this plastic POS and go to a metal slave cyl,.. PN 4A0721261 is what I found in an old
Motorgeek post - should be an 01A slave . I just ordered one and will see if it works . Then I don’t have to deal with the weird slip in thing and can use an adapter fitting on each end and run the braided line with AN3 to metric.

Edit : got it
Last edited by Afterthought on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afterthought

PreviousNext

Return to Projects