10vt B3 (The Bandit)

Document and share your build!

Re: 10vt B3 (The Bandit)

Postby DE80q » Wed May 17, 2017 2:16 pm

This truly is how my luck goes... I'm loading the bandit so I'm not rushing around tomorrow to get to the bike ride. I go to lock the doors after closing the trunk, and nothing. Well, I shouldn't say nothing, the driver's door locked. Everything else says open. I figure I must have hit something in the truck knocking off the main power wire or something. No such luck. I go to the passenger door, and it activated the vacuum pump. Looks like I'm back where I started when I first got the car. Using the passenger door to unlock it. :bangshead:
"If you cant find one, make one!"

91 Audi 80q -10vt project
07 Mitsubishi Raider (Dakota in disguise)
DE80q

Postby PRY4SNO » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 am

Ugh. My 80q does this too... Haven't figured out if it's the tumbler or something else since it's not my daily. I feel your pain.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby DE80q » Sat May 20, 2017 12:45 pm

The messed up part is the next day it worked fine... I really don't know what happened!

DE80q

Postby elaw » Sat May 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Did you forget to say "Simon says"? :lol:
Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Eric Law
'12 A4Q completely boringly stock
'90 80Q with AAN and Megasquirt
'97 Saab 9000 Aero: sold 5/2017, sorely missed
elaw

Postby DE80q » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:26 am

First thing, yes, none of my pics work. I'm working in getting my photos hosted somewhere else, as I'm not willing to pay $400 to host them.

So it has been a while, and maybe that's a good thing. The car has been running quite well for a while now with no real hiccups. About a week ago I tried to once again put my daughter in the car, and it wouldn't start. Not only that, it back fired pretty bad. I honestly thought I might have blown up the exhaust. The next day after talking about it with Eric, the car starts and runs fine... Still not totally sure what happened. I guess it's possible the car dislikes my daughter as much as she it haha.

Anyways, on to the better stuff. With everything going in lately, Eric has managed to get the car to not knock, and AFR's to be very good the whole way through the RPM range even on a fully heat soaked engine on a hot day. I still need to make up heat shielding and replace the motor mount insert though. Hopefully I can do that this coming weekend if Georges garage is free. With everything looking good at 18psi, we are looking at turning up the boost to 20psi. I'm still using a K24, and was told I should be good to about 23psi. I wanted to see what others think about this. Seems like a solid # and the turbo seems healthy enough. I have a tune file ready to go for this as well. Let me know what you guys think.

DE80q

Postby DE80q » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Went to do an oil change today, and it took much longer than I ever expected.

It finally happened! The plug would not move in the 7A pan. I was using a 6 point socket on it, and it stripped! I couldn't believe it! Had to put vise grips on it, and beat them with a hammer to finally come loose. I inspected the threads, and they look great, on both the plug and the pan. I was warned about this happening with the large thread aluminum pans though. I'm glad I had a spare plug in the tool box!

After that was all taken care of, I decided to finally take car of my now nearly completely red hood. I picked up a couple cans of black primer and semi gloss black paint. First, I had to strip all the old primer off. A 100 grit sanding sponge that that job very well

I then did the primer and paint. Came out pretty well for a non painter like myself. There is some tiger striping, but honestly, look at the rest of the car haha.

I'm happy with it. Looks much better than the burnt off black primer on a red hood. If I were to color sand it, and buff it some, it would probably look a lot better. Maybe later... this is how it looked when I got home, all unwrapped and parked...

DE80q

Postby DE80q » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Winter is fast approaching! I thought it would be nice to be able to drive this thing in the snow this year... So, as I had planned to do last year, I now have a new set of winter meats to put on.

These are Nexen winSpikes, which get really good reviews. Hopefully I'll be able to got some winter time shenanigans in this year! They were handed over to a friend of mine with the old Ronal 15' wheels to mount and balance. Should be some fun times ahead!

DE80q

Postby DE80q » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:14 pm

YAY!!! got all my pics working again! What a PITA that was...

DE80q

Postby DE80q » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Picked up my snowies on Friday, all mounted balanced and ready to go!

Winter mode is now engaged!

I'm looking forward to some winter time shenanigans!

DE80q

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 am

Always loved those wheels on the small chassis cars.

Looking forward to some hooning vids in snowy parking lots or ski hill roads.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby DE80q » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:34 am

I'm running 35psi on all 4 corners, and these snow tires look low on pressure to me. I'm also used to performance tires, so that could be the problem.

I also forgot just how "squishy" snow tires are. It's been probably 15 years or more that I haven't owned a set. Good news is, they are saving my spine and kidneys on the rushed for winter road work they have been doing around here...

DE80q

Previous

Return to Projects