CQ center armrest installed. pic

Document and share your build!

Postby Frank the quattro tank » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Very nice!
Frank the quattro tank

Re: cq turbo -mod mc2+7a head. info & pics +a vette kill

Postby JonathanL » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:45 am

Awesome build. What ecu are you running how are you controlling fuel and ignition? I like your gauge pods and turbo manifold your fab skills are really good. You've left out alot of details of the build but it happens fast, Though I was doubtful of 350whp at first, it might on 30psi.. A sick video may be what we need to verify. good work again keep it up.
JonathanL

Postby karthurtq » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:17 am

:drool: Props for what seems to be an under appreciated project!!
karthurtq

Postby Mcstiff » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:50 am

What was the reason for switching from the bike COPs to remote coils?
Mcstiff

Re: cqt mc2+7a head. active exhaust

Postby pkw » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 pm

exhaust routes through the gay 1.75 muffler normally, but at boost pressure above 8ish a butterfly opens up and that provides a 3" dia. path for it to bypass said gay muffler (no offence to the gays).

*added explanation*...IIRC...
I used a crude, blacksmith type, approach, and instead of using a dedicated plate, just used the actual exhaust tubing. I added a boss on each side for the shaft pivot, one with a blind hole, one with a through hole. I cut a butterfly plate out by hand and made the pivot shaft from some stock laying around. I maybe added a step in it also to help keep the butterfly centered. I made a bell crank and added the pivot in the right spot to make use of the actuators full stroke, while rotating the butterfly plate exactly 90 degrees. I assembled and welded EVERYTHING (nothing is screwed together) at the cut off "end" of the tube, to make it easy, and when done just welded the tube back together. I used a smaller, maybe 1.75" tube and miter cut and welded together to make a little tube elbow to enclose the pivot, and mount the actuator. This mounting is also a little flexible because it utilizes a silicone coupler and does the final "sealing" of the whole mechanism so if exhaust gas makes it out around the pivot shaft on the through hole side, it's escape is plugged by the actuator, pinched in the silicone coupler. Really, as long as you plan out your pre-machining and your final machining, it all goes together fine and works well.

Attachment ( 23671 ) : pkw cq 006.jpg
500hp for $500? Holset + mc2 bottom + 7a head
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1534
pkw

Postby pkw » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:06 pm

JonathanL wrote:Awesome build. What ecu are you running how are you controlling fuel and ignition? I like your gauge pods and turbo manifold your fab skills are really good. You've left out alot of details of the build but it happens fast, Though I was doubtful of 350whp at first, it might on 30psi.. A sick video may be what we need to verify. good work again keep it up.
I use the IIc. I call my car approx 365hp not whp too many folks get too caught up in what they call drivetrain loss. I just say that it goes like a 3200lb car with a 365hp sae rating. Faster than my friends 345 or 355 hp vette and I also beat my friends 034 chip tuned 3071 urs6 which is supposed to be 355whp. His first chip was a turd though above 6000rpm so he may want a rematch the next time i see him in maybe two weeks time. My car is not meant to be a hp record car just a well rounded scoot....and now it is quieter at cruise -yay.
pkw

Postby pkw » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Mcstiff wrote:What was the reason for switching from the bike COPs to remote coils?
034 claims that the IIc works with pretty much any 12v coil. I have not found that to be true so I broke down, stopped swimming upstream and installed some 034 coils. life is better but I am still not able to run the larger plug gaps that they claim. It may be due to my wires. time will tell. Kind of a bummer because the cop just looked so right and i really did not have a lot of extra space for 034 coils. All of this mess is with stock battery location, ps pump, long runner 7a intake manifold and AC pump....does anyone realize how not easy that is? :P
pkw

Postby Mcstiff » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:35 pm

pkw wrote:All of this mess is with stock battery location, ps pump, long runner 7a intake manifold and AC pump....does anyone realize how not easy that is? :P

Um yeah!

Mcstiff

Re: cq turbo -mc2+7a head. active exhaust +a vette kill

Postby pkw » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:21 pm

haha true... but mine is a bigger turbo, not a log manifold, ic equipped, 5 034 coils, oil cooler, stock snub mount, 3" dp, audi ext. WG, and a catch can....and the hood is not held down by hood pins like many cars.
pkw

Postby Mcstiff » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Yeah, a few things on my list still; for sure.
Mcstiff

Postby speedydtp247 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:28 pm

pkw wrote:haha true... but mine is a bigger turbo, not a log manifold, ic equipped, 5 034 coils, oil cooler, stock snub mount, 3" dp, audi ext. WG, and a catch can....and the hood is not held down by hood pins like many cars.

you forgot to mention that your battey is in the hatch now
speedydtp247

Postby pkw » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:08 pm

yes:
battery in hatch now
crank case venting now taken from the oil cap thanks to a special oil cap I made.
catch can is no longer needed so venting runs to the back of the car where it goes above this funny little bend that my rear sway bar has. Oh, and I used a DSM sway bar at the back and made some spherical links that attach to the rear struts that did not come from the factory with link provisions.
carbon fiber trim has been added to spiffy up (i am bringing that back) interior. (i had to make the CF climate control piece since they do not have that in Europe.)
i will be driving it a bit more and painting it to at least some degree probably next year.
pkw

Postby 3bAudios » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:44 am

pkw wrote:crank case venting now taken from the oil cap thanks to a special oil cap I made.
catch can is no longer needed so venting runs to the back of the car where it goes above this funny little bend that my rear sway bar has. Oh, and I used a DSM sway bar at the back and made some spherical links that attach to the rear struts that did not come from the factory with link provisions.
carbon fiber trim has been added to spiffy up (i am bringing that back) interior. (i had to make the CF climate control piece since they do not have that in Europe.)
i will be driving it a bit more and painting it to at least some degree probably next year.

any chance we could see some pics of this oil cap/ venting? i have a catch can on my NA stock 20v, also any photos of the swabar? i have a 4k in the rear of mine...
3bAudios

Postby pkw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:45 am

i will try to get some pics
pkw

Postby pkw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:14 pm

pics

Attachment ( 23727 ) : DSC00974.JPG

Attachment ( 23728 ) : DSC00972.JPG

Attachment ( 23729 ) : DSC00975.JPG
pkw

Postby pkw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:25 pm

more pics

Attachment ( 23730 ) : DSC00976.JPG

Attachment ( 23731 ) : DSC00985.JPG

Attachment ( 23732 ) : DSC00980.JPG

Attachment ( 23733 ) : DSC00981.JPG
pkw

Postby pkw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:26 pm

more later like some c/o pics maybe
pkw

Re: mc2+7a head. active exhaust.DSM sway.oil cap vent.CF.+pi

Postby Longitudinal » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:44 am

Pete,

Interesting direction with the exhaust. I want to say that Jim Green tried a parallel setup a while back in which exahaust simultaneously passed through a small pipe and a 3" pipe. I have considered a small parts store muffler alongside a 3" Magnaflow at the rear of the car, but my love of simplicity usually overcomes my love of peace and quiet. Aside from that, the engine and diff are solid mounted in my car.
Longitudinal

Postby speedydtp247 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:38 pm

anything new with this old girl!?
speedydtp247

Postby pkw » Mon May 30, 2011 11:21 am

nothing really that new other than some new to me seats and an interior cleaning. still need to find another 100 hp with a turbo upgrade and intake fab, wire in some AC relay stuff, and then repaint the car so that all is well in the world.
pkw

Postby pkw » Mon May 30, 2011 11:48 am

PSA/fyi for the recored, I really like my engine. It has 7.5cr, stock 7a cam timing thanks to my off set key, is a lot more willing to rev than an MC, not quite as willing as an AAN, but close. It does have .160 milled off the pistons and deck so it is a little lighter than typical MC internals. My engine has a charming personality in that is does make decent power with revs but it has a little bit of the MC tractor feel to it. My engine wear at 140k was almost non-existant in the bores. the rod ratio does not help this but the long MC pistons do. Anyway, I personally have not seen any short lived MCs ever. Even the ones with some noticeable wear seem to do as well as or better than their 20v counterparts, from compression and oil burning standpoints. i think that one can not go wrong with a build like mine or a 20v based build.
ALSO- I do, very much like the idea of a stroker because it takes some of the RPM issue away from valve train and oil pump.
I firmly believe from what i have seen and what I think I know that the long stroke crank is really cool for the above reasons but there is no way that is belongs in a 220 deck block. I think that would be a high priced turd. sorry. A long stroke crank in the 236 deck block would be a winner though. At the inception of this build I was so close to doing a stroker at the same time as my MC/7a engine, and I would have if someone did not screw me out of a 7a head (back in the first pages of this thread). I do have another head these days but first i will be taking my MC/7A combo to its full, realistic, potential. Believe me though, for a long time i have been stewing about a stroker in a tall deck using some unlikely internals. May not work out when i dig deeper, or a standard kit may be affordable by the time I am ready to pull the trigger, but something will probably happen (after the ABZtt and 6 spd goe into the urS4).
pkw

Postby Mcstiff » Mon May 30, 2011 12:42 pm

How much hood clearance do you think you have with that oil cap?
Mcstiff

Postby speedydtp247 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:10 pm

a stroker would be cool or how about doing a VR6 turbo swap? that would be way awesome! i love the sound of the VR6 motor :drool:
speedydtp247

Postby pkw » Mon May 30, 2011 3:29 pm

Mcstiff wrote:How much hood clearance do you think you have with that oil cap?
it is only as proud as the number one intake runner so a safe ways away from denting hood on launch :wink:
pkw

Postby pkw » Mon May 30, 2011 3:32 pm

speedydtp247 wrote:a stroker would be cool or how about doing a VR6 turbo swap? that would be way awesome! i love the sound of the VR6 motor :drool:
dude, do the math- you are the one with a big heavy wagon without an engine in it at the moment. packaging dream for a C4. but yeah, they sound great and i bet spool a 600hp turbo well enough for DD duty.
pkw

PreviousNext

Return to Projects