Bill's 200 20v,head crack evaluation??

Document and share your build!

Re: Bill's 200 20v,cyl#2problem

Postby audios » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:47 pm

At the advice of Marc ( and many others ) i brought the head to the machine shop in rochester. The friend who brought it down to them just called me to tell me that the head is cracked. I didnt have time to get all the details, but I am wondering if that cracking could have been causing what seemed to be blow-by...I will call tomorrow to find out more details on exactly what is wrong with the head and on which cylinders.
audios
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mar 6, 2013

Re: Bill's 200 20v,cyl#2problem

Postby WOMBAT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:39 am

audios wrote:At the advice of Marc ( and many others ) i brought the head to the machine shop in rochester. The friend who brought it down to them just called me to tell me that the head is cracked. I didnt have time to get all the details, but I am wondering if that cracking could have been causing what seemed to be blow-by...I will call tomorrow to find out more details on exactly what is wrong with the head and on which cylinders.


I'm curious to know as well.... and where the crack is?
Casey O

Current Attire:
- 2007 Audi A3 3.2 quattro

Past Projects:
- 07 Cooper S - 91 200 20vt - 91 90 20v - 85 4000CS - 96 Audi Cabriolet 5 Spd - 02 A4 1.8T - 91 V8 5 Spd - 01 A6 2.7T 6 Spd Sport - 86 5000CS - 91 100
User avatar
WOMBAT
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Mar 6, 2013
Location: Vermont

Re: Bill's 200 20v,cyl#2problem

Postby audios » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Kevin at the shop didnt tell me where the crack is but did say that it wasn't leaking but still woudnt want to rebuild it with a crack, as they obviously dont get smaller only larger... i am sending him down my extra 7a head with a few bent valves so he can make 1 out of 2...
audios
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mar 6, 2013

Re: Bill's 200 20v,cyl#2problem

Postby audifreakjim » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Yeah, like the crack they all have between the valve seats.
User avatar
audifreakjim
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Mar 3, 2013

Re: Bill's 200 20v,cyl#2problem

Postby audios » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:39 pm

do you think that the head could be good still? this is the shop Marc sends all his heads to.... ill definately be bringing it back home to take a look when this is all over.
audios
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mar 6, 2013

Re: Bill's 200 20v,cyl#2problem

Postby WOMBAT » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:09 am

Or the somewhat typical crack by the spark plugs.
Casey O

Current Attire:
- 2007 Audi A3 3.2 quattro

Past Projects:
- 07 Cooper S - 91 200 20vt - 91 90 20v - 85 4000CS - 96 Audi Cabriolet 5 Spd - 02 A4 1.8T - 91 V8 5 Spd - 01 A6 2.7T 6 Spd Sport - 86 5000CS - 91 100
User avatar
WOMBAT
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Mar 6, 2013
Location: Vermont

Re: Bill's 200 20v,cyl#2problem

Postby audifreakjim » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 am

audios wrote:do you think that the head could be good still? this is the shop Marc sends all his heads to.... ill definately be bringing it back home to take a look when this is all over.


Have them show you the crack, if it's just between the valve seats then it's not too much of a worry. If they know the heads, then they are probably talking about a different crack.
User avatar
audifreakjim
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Mar 3, 2013

Re: Bill's 200 20v,head crack evaluation??

Postby audios » Wed May 03, 2017 10:21 am

audifreakjim wrote:
audios wrote:do you think that the head could be good still? this is the shop Marc sends all his heads to.... ill definately be bringing it back home to take a look when this is all over.


Have them show you the crack, if it's just between the valve seats then it's not too much of a worry. If they know the heads, then they are probably talking about a different crack.


Got the head back today, here is a photo of the crack. Anything to be concerned about?Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audios
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mar 6, 2013

Bill's 200 20v,head crack evaluation??

Postby audios » Wed May 03, 2017 10:21 am

audifreakjim wrote:
audios wrote:do you think that the head could be good still? this is the shop Marc sends all his heads to.... ill definately be bringing it back home to take a look when this is all over.


Have them show you the crack, if it's just between the valve seats then it's not too much of a worry. If they know the heads, then they are probably talking about a different crack.


Got the head back today, here is a photo of the crack. Anything to be concerned about?

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audios
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mar 6, 2013

Re: Bill's 200 20v,head crack evaluation??

Postby dana » Wed May 03, 2017 10:23 am

I think thats a pretty normal 20vt crack to me. I would run it, thats just me.
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
User avatar
dana
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Oct 14, 2013

Re: Bill's 200 20v,head crack evaluation??

Postby WOMBAT » Wed May 03, 2017 12:42 pm

dana wrote:I think thats a pretty normal 20vt crack to me. I would run it, thats just me.


That's a textbook 20v crack. Apparently I would run it :P
Casey O

Current Attire:
- 2007 Audi A3 3.2 quattro

Past Projects:
- 07 Cooper S - 91 200 20vt - 91 90 20v - 85 4000CS - 96 Audi Cabriolet 5 Spd - 02 A4 1.8T - 91 V8 5 Spd - 01 A6 2.7T 6 Spd Sport - 86 5000CS - 91 100
User avatar
WOMBAT
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Mar 6, 2013
Location: Vermont

Re: Bill's 200 20v,head crack evaluation??

Postby audios » Wed May 03, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm thinking I should put some valve guides in before I throw it back together? What about reusing a head gasket spacer?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audios
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mar 6, 2013

Re: Bill's 200 20v,head crack evaluation??

Postby WOMBAT » Thu May 04, 2017 7:45 am

Definitely go guides and seals, I never did them. I'd go new HG too, but have heard some people reuse them a bit.
Casey O

Current Attire:
- 2007 Audi A3 3.2 quattro

Past Projects:
- 07 Cooper S - 91 200 20vt - 91 90 20v - 85 4000CS - 96 Audi Cabriolet 5 Spd - 02 A4 1.8T - 91 V8 5 Spd - 01 A6 2.7T 6 Spd Sport - 86 5000CS - 91 100
User avatar
WOMBAT
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Mar 6, 2013
Location: Vermont

Re: Bill's 200 20v,head crack evaluation??

Postby PRY4SNO » Sat May 06, 2017 3:54 pm

That crack is within the Bentley spec, which (*I think) is no more than 3 threads.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
User avatar
PRY4SNO
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Mar 3, 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB

Previous

Return to Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests