The 20vt Quantum Syncro Wagon - The Group B Grocery Getter

Document and share your build!

Re: The 20vt Quantum Syncro Wagon - The Group B Grocery Gett

Postby dougkehl » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Einbilden wrote:Keep me posted please.

Will do!! If I ever get to that point where I can cast it. I found a place that will do one off castings, so I may inquire about pricing.. It's not how I want to do it, but I don't have a ton of time and I just got promoted with a nice raise, so having someone else do it may be the case if I can't get it cast with my coworker by like January haha. No matter what a manifold will be getting made!

But no real updates as of late. I've been busy with my new place. I actually recently purchased a 1957 ATC Terraloader 256 to move snow from my driveway, clear some roads through my property and haul large logs out. Some of you might think this is pretty cool!

My dad and my dog checking it out.
ImageIMG_9085 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9087 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

And this past weekend I was able to get the AAN into the garage up on the stand and start working on it.. I've only got the intake off so far, but it's a start.
ImageIMG_9130 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
dougkehl

Postby dana » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm into that trackloader!!! Never heard of the make. What's the power plant?
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
dana

Postby dougkehl » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:26 pm

dana wrote:I'm into that trackloader!!! Never heard of the make. What's the power plant?

I shouldn't have abbreviated the name. It's an American Tractor Corporation which specialized in crawlers/dozers. They were bought by Case in late '57, so it's basically a Case because Case didn't change anything on these for a few years. It's got a good old Continental F140 flathead in it. I love the old Continental flatheads, and this one runs like a top!! And with the 3 speed gear box and a new set of track adjusters my dad and I fabbed up, the thing boogies along pretty darn good and can turn on a dime just about!
dougkehl

Postby PRY4SNO » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:34 pm

Man, I just look at the details in the background of your pics and think envious thoughts about how you (and plenty others around here) have a small fortune amassed in tools and equipment that make killer projects like yours possible by a one man band.

Good reminder that Rome wasn't built in a day and to keep to the grindstone. Thanks for the motivation :)
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby dana » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 am

ahh yes, that does look like a case. I have run a similar old case working on a farm in high school.

Tools and equipment is an awesome investment as far as I'm concerned. Especially older equipment if you can get something that is in usable condition. They basically never depreciate, and can pay for themselves with one big job. Plus equipment is awesome. /justification-for-dropping-thousands-per-year-old-machines.
current:
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-efi 10vt 4kq
dana

Postby the german » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 am

I hear dana can help you put a turbo on it. Flatheads need all the help they can get, right?
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
2011 A4 2.0T Avant (ok, it's my wife's car but it's sexy and I love it)
the german

Postby dana » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 am

the german wrote:I hear dana can help you put a turbo on it. Flatheads need all the help they can get, right?

megasquirted and turbo'd flathead sounds about right to me.
current:
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-efi 10vt 4kq
dana

Postby dougkehl » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:50 pm

dana wrote:
the german wrote:I hear dana can help you put a turbo on it. Flatheads need all the help they can get, right?

megasquirted and turbo'd flathead sounds about right to me.

I've got the K24 off the AAN that needs a rebuild and the first thing I thought when I bought it was, "I could rebuild that turbo and turbo this and it would be pretty goddamn cool".

PRY4SNO wrote:Man, I just look at the details in the background of your pics and think envious thoughts about how you (and plenty others around here) have a small fortune amassed in tools and equipment that make killer projects like yours possible by a one man band.

Good reminder that Rome wasn't built in a day and to keep to the grindstone. Thanks for the motivation :)

Thank you for the kind words! All good things take time whether it be collecting absurd quantities of tools or these cars we screw around with. It's all worth it in the end though!
dougkehl

Postby dougkehl » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:56 pm

dana wrote:ahh yes, that does look like a case. I have run a similar old case working on a farm in high school.

Tools and equipment is an awesome investment as far as I'm concerned. Especially older equipment if you can get something that is in usable condition. They basically never depreciate, and can pay for themselves with one big job. Plus equipment is awesome. /justification-for-dropping-thousands-per-year-old-machines.

That's exactly it with this stuff. That crawler cost me $1400 and only needed track adjusters ($15 to make), the seat reupholstered (free cause I had material) and to have the gas tank cleaned, hence the boat gas tank on top. It starts right up, idles perfect, operates under load perfect, all the hydraulics work perfect. And I know for what I'm going to be able to do with it is going to pay for itself in no time. And obviously, the cool factor was too much for me to not buy it.
dougkehl

Postby dougkehl » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:01 am

Played around and mocked up the whole intake.. It's a shame I don't have a spare head.. I'd just modify it and make this a direct-to-head throttle body set up instead of casting an adapter manifold. Anyway, it looks sweet.

ImageIMG_9178 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9179 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
dougkehl

Previous

Return to Projects