Magellan's 1991 Audi 200 Quattro 20v - 2018 (Euros are in)

Document and share your build!

Magellan's 1991 Audi 200 Quattro 20v - 2018 (Euros are in)

Postby themagellan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 am

Hello,

After successfully fixing an annoying issue with my car, I decided it would be a great time to put together a project thread to document the work being put into it.

I have a long history of volkswagens. I have owned 3 mk3's, 1 mk2 gti,1 fox, 1 type1 Bug, 1 mk4 golf. All I have maintained/fixed/wrecked/ruined myself. I love the simplicity and owe all of my mechanical knowledge to each and everyone one of those cars. (Including my mopeds)

In my professional career I have had the privileged of being exposed to extremely high powered cars, but their mainstream feeling and lack of character never really appealed to me (See paddle shift s63, C4 Cab 993, etc) they always just felt too obvious. I have always done things to add power to my vw's (Cams, motorwork, exhaust, nitrous, Carb, blah blah blah - but I always found myself rebuilding 3 different cars that were nearly rotting to the ground.

Anyway... this is where this car comes in. It was H20 2012, I drove down with 5 friends in my fox that I had just converted to a 32/36 carb, it was probably one of the most fun drives packed in a little 2000lb car doing 80mph in the top of 4th. I have always secretly lusted over the UR Quattro, and even began thinking about saving up the needed 10-20k for a prime example. After seeing a few down there I began to really understand the odd exhaust note, and insane power they possess. This made me remember all of the times I had seen a urs4/6 and I couldn't remember why I hadn't paid any attention to any of them (sans el mushasho's ruby h20 2011). Anyway, as the day progressed we rolled up on a silver audi, there was a blue mk4 R32 with a turbo kit that was ripping around. It was a really impressive car, however what happened next is the reason i'm here writing this. As the light for the other side turned yellow, the audi started 2 stepping so loud that it drowned out any noise the R was even trying to make, once the light hit green the Audi simply squatted and left, with my jaw was nearly on the floor as I putted away pig rich in my fox... looked over at my friend jeremy and asked him what in the fuck that was.

He simply replied as if nothing phased him, "Oh that's just an audi 200... but that is the 20v, most of them get chopped up for parts, cool rare cars"
Astonished I asked him if it was the same motor as the UR Quattro and his response was "Better, the US UR Quattros are 10v's this is the RS2 motor with a distributor."
We then talked about the price of these cars, as I was expecting one to be worth at least 6,000+ he replied "You can get them for 2k-4k ... IF you can find one." So whoever you are - thank you.

We went back to the hotel, I told him I was going to buy one. Drunkenly he was laughing, drunkenly I wasn't.

One week later, I lucked out and found a perfect(My opinion of perfect) example with 117k on it. It was silver stock, with:

Stock
New G60 brakes
New coolant hoses
New shocks
relatively rust free
Nice interior
TAP chip with Mod'd WG

He was asking 2500, and I offered 2100 and drove away. I will never forget rolling into boost for the first time, I was instantly hooked. It has the same safe feeling as any S classes mercedes, but with the spirit of a mk2. Let's not forget AWD to boot.

Too much talking, anyway here are some pictures.

First week I got it:

I then added a set of Nokian WRG2s for the winter/rain they are fucking epic! Image

I found the breather hose was fucked, and for whatever reason when I rolled into boost above 5k RPM without shell gasoline I would hit a boost cut or the fuel pump would just give up. The exhaust ended up being held on with zipties and flew off while doing 50mph sideways(whoops). I had the interior shampoo'd detailed, and did a lot of little cleaning up things, as my main goal with this car is to be as uninvasive as possible. I want this to be one of the definitions of OEM+ for the Audi platform.

After driving the car for a while I figured a 50$ baseline dyno would be fun, the car was running like trash this day, but still managed to put down some OK numbers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxXmI2zfU1I (Pull @ 44s)

I was really throwing around the idea of a 034 GT3071 kit, and when I mean throwing around I mean I was going to buy it. There were a few things I didn't like, and I felt like I was going to be modifying the car more than I really wanted to. I have project cars for experiments and I want to keep this one as formal and daily as possible. The more I read about this car the more I realized their potential, and the reason I realized this is because of what a few handful of people are doing with these cars. After a lot of annoying and asking questions to Sir Mushasho I finally settled I would be keeping the stock ignition/ecu and running a "Stock" Turbo!

Earlier this month I had a weird misfire issue that was starting to get me down. I had inspected everything and couldn't find anything visually. I thought about how I was diagnosing things and decided to start being a little more sophisticated using vacuum tools, and the proper diagnostics. I found a large cut on Plug boot #1 causing it to never ignite any fuel, the fuel filter was clogged, and I found a massive tear in the inter cooler hose. I had put aside a good deal of money for the go fast bits, but realized I needed to go through the cars ignition and fuel if I have any chance of ever enjoying this car how I wanted.I have ordered a nice little nest egg of parts and will be adding everything together before the end of the month.

Round 1:

Narrow Tip Rotor
Rotor Cap
Bremi Wires (Installed FIXED the problem, pulls like a freight train again)
Mann Fuel Filter (Installed added more out the open DP)
034 Molded silicone boost hoses (I didn't know there was other options and needed something quick)
Rubber Snubber

Round 2:
Hanks K26
Bosch 52# injectors (Waiting on EV adapters I bought these from a GT500)
Chip Tuning
Twin straight pipe glass packs

Round 3:
Clutch/PP (I can only slip the clutch currently with a 6k launch, so we'll see how this goes) WIll bleeding my clutch help with the clamping force in anyway?
Spare 016 4k Trans (IF I need it)

Anyway, I will keep updating as things progress, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't fix something to bring it back closer to stock.

It currently has 123k on it now.

See everyone on the street!
Last edited by themagellan on Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 16 times in total.
themagellan

Re: Magellan's 1991 Audi 200 Quattro 20v Build - 3B ALLDAY

Postby Hank » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:16 am

Yum. Gonna be fun
Hank

Postby pilihp2 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:51 am

Sweet! Lovin it.
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
91 v8 5spd - I guess I'm a masochist
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - 2 wheeled hooliganism

-Terrible at responding to PM's
pilihp2

Postby WOMBAT » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 am

Yes!! Another 2hundo!
Casey O

Current Attire:
- 2007 Audi A3 3.2 quattro

Past Projects:
- 07 Cooper S - 91 200 20vt - 91 90 20v - 85 4000CS - 96 Audi Cabriolet 5 Spd - 02 A4 1.8T - 91 V8 5 Spd - 01 A6 2.7T 6 Spd Sport - 86 5000CS - 91 100
WOMBAT

Postby mushasho » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks for the few mentions... didn't know you were actually paying attention to all that 20vt talk we've had since 2011...
" Drunkenly he was laughing, drunkenly I wasn't." - EPIC!!!

I'm gonna stop drinking around you & start paying attention,... You definitely mean business!

See you this weekend...
mushasho

Postby loxxrider » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 pm

To address a few items in your first post...

-I would be willing to bet the silver 200 you saw which inspired you was Nick's 200 (AMDisthebest).
-You really can't launch with the stock clutch no matter what you do with it. Gotta get a beefier setup. The stock one will hold power alright if you aren't beating on the clutch (launching and hard shifting), but i'd really expect it to slip with a torquey turbo like Hanks K26.
-Best of luck! I look forward to seeing progress on this one. :)
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
loxxrider

Postby themagellan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Wow, thank you for all the kind words everyone. I wasn't expecting such a nice welcome.

Loxx - That is really good info on the clutch, and I wanted to say thanks for all of your time you put into this platform. I use your advice all of the time. However I'd still like to bring you a 7A cam so you can show me how to put it in without disturbing nearly anything. I still haven't wrapped my head around your explanation you wrote to someone (Haha!)

OB - All I can say is thank you, you are a great resource as a human being.

and... in the spirit of getting all mushy here are some open downpipe pulls at 9-10 psi. I will be posting some videos to compare what it "should" be running for boost later.... if the hoses show up today.

themagellan

Postby loxxrider » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:29 pm

Thank you as well for the kind words. It's hard not to love a t44!

As far as the cam job, let me get back to you on that one when it isn't time for bed (Saudi time). Sometimes my descriptions aren't really all that clear... I'll see if I can explain it better this time around.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
loxxrider

Postby amd is the best » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Welcome! Glad to see someone else who has found love for the greatest car ever built.

Your story of H2O was 100% me. I remember spanking that turbo'd R32 after you brought it up, lol. Good times.

Seems like you're headed in the right direction and the car is in great hands! This place will only keep you wanting more :)
Nick

'00 A4 1.8t
'91 200 20v
'91 200 20v Avant
http://www.youtube.com/amdisthebest
amd is the best

Postby themagellan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:10 am

amd is the best wrote:Welcome! Glad to see someone else who has found love for the greatest car ever built.

Your story of H2O was 100% me. I remember spanking that turbo'd R32 after you brought it up, lol. Good times.

Seems like you're headed in the right direction and the car is in great hands! This place will only keep you wanting more :)

Haha, I am so glad you remember it, and thank you for all of your work and inspiration.

Well, after some hardship and a little bit of motivation the offending boost hose has been replaced. I used to think that my Boost gauge was broken because it was always stuck at .7... Well tonight I saw 1.3 steady and all I can say is holy shit - I can't believe how well this car pulls now. It is in perfect healthy working order, and ready for some bigger parts! Time to sleep... :drive:
themagellan

Postby themagellan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:03 am

Nothing too new to report, a close friend of mine recently traded in his TTRS for a 2012 BMW M3. I hit 1.5 bar for the first time last night while doing a friendly 3rd to the top of 4th pull.

I don't want to show how I excited I was when he was only a half car away at the top of 4th. This car is running as good as it can on the stock turbo. :hail: the i5!
themagellan

Postby pilihp2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:04 pm

You sir, Need one of a couple things.
A chipped ecu for moar boosts.
Or just a new turbo combined with a chipped ecu.
For even moar booststsssss

EDIT: Just caught that you have a TAP chip. You should get more than 1.5 bar with a tap chip. That is 1.5 bar on the factory gauge, right?
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
91 v8 5spd - I guess I'm a masochist
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - 2 wheeled hooliganism

-Terrible at responding to PM's
pilihp2

Postby mushasho » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:22 pm

He is on his path to Billet K26 and supporting mods...
mushasho

Postby themagellan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Phew,

Well what a weekend. It was my birthday weekend and it was by far the best I have ever had. I owe it all to my girlfriend, friends, and of course the car.

Let's start first with it being 2pm on Friday afternoon. My car had an open downpipe and I was not about to subject myself or a lady to a 4 hours drive with it like that. So... at 2pm I was turned away from the 2nd exhaust shop who would not touch my exhaust because it was "Too custom". I message El Mushasho at 2:05 and ask him an absurd question:

Me "Do you know where I can get an exhaust between now and 9am tomorrow morning?"
OB "Sure come to meet me at work"
Me "Uhhh, are you sure? OK!"

Anyway, he hooks me up gets me an appointment and I am sitting getting an exhaust put in at 2:50pm - I tried to leave 20$ on his desk as a thank you for the help, and OB runs around the back and beats me to my car to return it. I can't even thank you enough dude.

The exhaust is SICK it is not mandrel or stainless and I could care less. It is twin 2 1/4" with a seperate 2 1/4" Glass back each - I did some simple math and surface area wise it should flow as well as a 3.12" mandrel bent single system. There are no tips just 2 pipes that have taken place of the OEM spot, it sounds so good it feels like I have a new car. It is literally the best exhaust I have ever had put on my car... and it looks stock!!! I will post some pictures and videos

My girl and I headed out to Dubs on Defrost 6. After finally arriving after 3.5 hours of driving we noticed everyone was being thrown out turned around by the police.

Well, to be honest that was probably the best present I have ever been given. The police literally left the entire city/back roads to turn away and patrol in the state park area. As it turns out my new beautiful girlfriend knew exactly where she was and proceeded to take me (without telling me) on about 3-4 hours of backroads driving in 60* degree weather through multi million dollar estates. I averaged 17 mpg and I used 30gallons of Shell fuel. It was such a bonding experience I cannot even begin to explain, it was literally the best day of my life I can remember.

I'm starting to think this car is a bit of a factory freak. My new girlfriend went from thinking my car was a bit loud and old to wanting to race every sti,porsche,audi that even blinks an eye in our direction... and I always oblige.

Some memorable moments:

Driving about 10-15 miles in some random town I see AMDISTHEBEST - I couldn't believe I saw another 200! The funniest part about seeing you is that Dubraska spent the first 10 minutes of our ride while on the highway explaining to me why this car should have came with a 6 speed :hammer:

In a tunnel coming back to MA a big motor panamera starts pulling the left lane past me +15mph. I drop 4th as we exit I hit the top of fourth 3 cars ahead and blow an amazing fireball. I have never seen bigger smiles from a 40 year old yuppie couple in a porsche, they were absolutely dying.

I ran a stock s5 uphill(15* Grade), and hung with it for a quarter mile another big smile and shaking of the head.

Ran a k04'd a3 and ran away, this one was a little more confused and demanded a retry. Well.... this time I downshifted to 3rd, I got a smile that time ;)

There was probably another handful of GOOD runs, but I would be here forever typing them out.

Once we got home I got brought out for a Rodizio, and it was my first time. Damn was that good.

The next day we got up early and cleaned the house, got ready and headed up to Maine Indoor Karting for a day of racing. Same as above with having fun with other cars... I now have a new found respect for the G37, that was the only car the whole weekend I could not completely run away from in 3rd... 5th is a different story it digs deep in 5th haha. There was also an INSANE swapped e30 that was completely dying at the fact this 200 with 4 people put a few cars on him. I am really realizing this is the exact car I have always wanted.

I really hope to meet this guy, he made me realize why we build cars. Just out having a good time.

Anyway in other less exciting sad news, I had to move myself to Hanks Second batch of K26's the combination of spending an unexpected nearly 1250$ in general maintenance, along with a few other payments that fell through to me has hopefully made some lucky person move into the 1st batch.

The good news is I am now researching Brakes and Suspension (Gasp) and I will be doing a little write up on how to make your own solid rubber mounts from your OEM ones, it's an old trick I have used to great success and with how shitty the mount market is for these cars (See snapping 034 mounts) I don't see the reason to not educate a few people. (Some of you are going to hate what I do)

I also need to contact the infamous Marc Swanson to schedule some Dyno/Chip time. I promise more exciting updates with less blabbering.

I will be Judging with my lovely lady at Dustoff 2013 so be sure to say hi if you come!!

:beer:
themagellan

Postby WOMBAT » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:07 pm

themagellan wrote:I am really realizing this is the exact car I have always wanted.

This.

Haha your story is much like mine when I first had it chipped - chasing much 'faster' cars and getting a lot of thumbs up for my grandpa cruiser hauling ass :)
Casey O

Current Attire:
- 2007 Audi A3 3.2 quattro

Past Projects:
- 07 Cooper S - 91 200 20vt - 91 90 20v - 85 4000CS - 96 Audi Cabriolet 5 Spd - 02 A4 1.8T - 91 V8 5 Spd - 01 A6 2.7T 6 Spd Sport - 86 5000CS - 91 100
WOMBAT

Postby loxxrider » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Wait... so you are doing all of this with a stock (not chipped) 200 20v? Impossible! lol Must already have a chip or something at least.

Thanks for the well-written story, it was a great read. It made me stay up much longer than I have time for, but it was worth it. Glad you are enjoying the car and I can guarantee you will enjoy it tenfold more if you put a good set of coilovers and brakes on the car. Transforms the whole thing into an incredible package :)
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
loxxrider

Postby mushasho » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:04 pm

loxxrider wrote:Wait... so you are doing all of this with a stock (not chipped) 200 20v? Impossible! lol Must already have a chip or something at least.

It's TAP chipped... but unusually peppy for such a mild setup...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
mushasho

Postby loxxrider » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Well that makes more sense then. Mine was pretty damned fast on stock turbo when it was cold out with a decent tune on VEMS. I could pull on lots of pretty quick cars too, much to my surprise.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
loxxrider

Postby Fenris » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 pm

my TAP-chipped 20V avant has no problem hanging with STis... Seems people badmouth TAP a lot but I get 30mpg on the highway and the car hauls ass in 2nd-5th. No complaints from me!

Great writeup magellan. I too am planning on bigger turbo, injectors, etc... looking forward to see what route you take!
Fenris

Postby themagellan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys, this is my first build "Thread" I normally just work and be quiet.

The TAP chip is ridiculous, the only thing that scares me is unless I run Shell I definitely feel some detonation and the timing feels like it gets pulled. I can definitely see how someone could trash a low motor on low boost with how much advance this tune is running.

On a side note I'm sitting in a cafe right now going to a client meeting, I just saw a Green 200 Avant :O it was beautiful. Right at the split between 91 and 84 in CT. It's nice seeing a unicorn in the flesh!
themagellan

Postby 85oceanic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Great read man! Keep the updates coming, I love these kinds of write ups.
-Ben-
-1985 Audi 4kq: Xona 7164 AAN 488whp- -2009 Audi A4 -
85oceanic

Postby themagellan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:38 pm

85oceanic wrote:Great read man! Keep the updates coming, I love these kinds of write ups.

I love your videos!!

Side question: What is the easiest way to replace the hardline hose running to the ecu for boost. I can't seem to find a logical way to remove it and feed it through. I was simply going tape a new hose on and pull it through but it's proving to not be so simple.... Any tricks?
themagellan

Postby themagellan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:33 pm

themagellan

Postby themagellan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Small update:

Fixed the line from the ECU to the T at the motor. I replaced it with a mix of hardline and soft line. If anyone is curious the best and easiest way is to remove the carpet and filter/kick panel and simply push through your hardline as far as possible past the rubber grommet in the fire wall.

I don't think I've gained any power, but the smoothness and instant response is MUCH improved... starting to run out of these little problems big plans need to start already! :police:
themagellan

Postby themagellan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Not too much excitement -Put a mini spoiler on and tinted the tails all red.

Gathering money for some power....

Here are a few fun videos with my friends b5 s4 with rs6x turbos (He is not tuned and only running 10psi)

themagellan

Next

Return to Projects