My 1993 URS4

Document and share your build!

My 1993 URS4

Postby Neacail » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Thought I should start a thread to share, and track progress.

1993 URS4, bought in may of 2016.

At that time, it had a broken water pump, a bad MAF and a bad internal map sensor in the ecu. I fixed that stuff, and enjoyed driving it for a while, installed a Kenwood head unit integrated to the stock Bose amps. Made several different exhaust systems, didn't like any of them.

Started collecting parts to make it a wee bit quicker. Got an Aeromotive 340lph pump, RS2 replica manifold, Bosch "green giant" 440cc injectors (flow 480cc@ 4 bar which I'm running) a Volvo S60R K24 7400 turbo and a billet wheel for it. Also scored an early Stromung stainless downpipe, and modded it with a flex coupler and a V-band flange to make it easier to work with and less prone to cracking. Got a very large e-bay intercooler from a kid on kijiji for almost nothing.

Once I had this stuff together, I stalled for a while trying to figure out how to tune the Motronic 2.3.2 .

Not a lot of info, and I'm no hacker, so that wasn't gonna happen.

So I got a VEMS PnP

Now that I had all the ingredients, I went ahead and put it all together. Fabbed up intercooler plumbing, flow tested the injectors, made a breather tank, installed fuel pump. It started up on the first crank with the VEMS after setting the injector constant. I was able to get a fairly close base map for an RS2. Tweaked the fuel map quite a bit to get it running strong around 0.85 lambda under boost. RS2 ignition map works well enough, but I really need to get it on a dyno and get a real tuner to set up the ignition advance map to get every last drop out of it. The closed loop boost control really threw me for a loop until I got the PID dialed in. Now it peaks at 2 bar of boost and holds ~1.7 to the rev limiter which I set to 7700rpm.

Next up is 6 speed swap, dyno tuning, brakes and suspension. Still have to make a better intake setup, I'm not too happy about the cone filter 3" from the exhaust manifold, though in 30 degree C weather, my peak intake temps were 38 degrees C under full boost on the drag strip. Picking up a set of H&Rs assembled on Bilsteins today, and I've got my 17z brackets ordered from Brydon Engineering. Calipers and rotors should be here soon as well.
Neacail

Re: My 1993 URS4

Postby Neacail » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Also, I'd really like to thank the members of this forum. I've found the information here invaluable for charting the course of my upgrades and maintenance. I've been lurking and absorbing info, and hope to become more of an active contributor in the future.
Neacail

Postby Afterthought » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Looks good . The bronze wheels look good on the red .
I really struggled with the boost control initially . Somewhere I found a thread (I think by edigreg) with some suggested PID settings that helped me with where to start. I just found that small changes went a long way sometimes in the wrong direction . Also it’s hard to find a place where I can go WOT all the time .
Props for doing everything yourself . The welding looks good . I have a similar set up on my catch can , currently venting to atmosphere but I wasn’t sure If it needs to be tore into the intake . See anything building up in There ?
Afterthought

1983 UrQuattro - http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1819&p=72513#p72513
1983 Ur Quattro Amazon Blue / Zebra MC
GMC 2500HD
Afterthought

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Good to see you post brother! I didn't realize when we met up today that you had a build thread posted :)

Looking forward to the upcoming stages at hand, and I really need to get a ride some time. By memory, that suspension is firm but not enough to rattle loose any fillings, and I'm sure that the Bilstein B8's fronts you scored for nearly free will help even more.

Have any acceleration or 1/4 mile vids for us? The masses are a demanding bunch, haha
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby Neacail » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Afterthought wrote:Looks good . The bronze wheels look good on the red .
I really struggled with the boost control initially . Somewhere I found a thread (I think by edigreg) with some suggested PID settings that helped me with where to start. I just found that small changes went a long way sometimes in the wrong direction . Also it’s hard to find a place where I can go WOT all the time .
Props for doing everything yourself . The welding looks good . I have a similar set up on my catch can , currently venting to atmosphere but I wasn’t sure If it needs to be tore into the intake . See anything building up in There ?

My last oil change was a 6500km interval of hard driving, tuning, drag strip runs, and there was about 15-20ml of oil in the can, and the little filter is dry. The inlet to the catch can has a 90 inside pointing toward the bottom, extending down about 3". That's the extent of the baffling. It baffles me. I guess my engine is pretty tight. The compression numbers were all between 165 and 170.

I do everything myself within the limits of the tools I have available. TIG welder is the best tool investment ever, in my opinion.

Now that I own an Audi repair shop, it's getting easier to buy tools for the shop (myself) although I doubt I'll ever get to a point where I'm getting a large metal lathe or milling machine. My next purchases will likely be a metal bandsaw, and a large belt grinder for doing exhausts.
Neacail

Postby Neacail » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Up next, 17Z conversion (should have my brackets in mid-feb) Bilstein B8s, and H&R 29921s.

Got these Cayenne calipers from a local wrecker, bead blasted them and hit them with 3 coats of VHT yellow. Baked each coat, applied the decals, and then 2 coats of VHT clear coat, also baked to cure.

I'm gonna try it with an S200SX-E 7070 later in the summer. Trying to find a K26 #8 hot side housing to machine for this, otherwise will try a #6 and see what happens. If this doesn't pan out, I'll have to get a T3 flanged manifold and go with the Borg Warner housing.

The 6 speed 01E I have to put in (B5 S4) is very stiff in the 1-2 gate. The JHM 1-2 shift collar kit should fix this, right? Sometimes if I bork a shift on my 5 speed it gets stiff for a while, but then clears up...
Does anyone have the contact for the fellow that sells the center torsen washers? I'd like to do the high-bias diff mod while I have it apart.
Neacail

Postby PRY4SNO » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Calipers look great!

The JHM kit is very likely to be what you need. The updated version is the carbon kind.

And the trans guru is Scott DeWitt of Advanced Automotion. Tell him I sent you!
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby morris400 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:11 pm

all my 7400 stuff has came in. going to have to swing by the shop soon to pick your brain on some stuff. also running Vems.
1994 UrS4 Intended Acceleration Chip
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- ( gone but not forgotten )
IF YOU CANT STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS...FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!
morris400

Postby vt10vt » Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 am

VWVortex user "sellingb5stuff" has the washers for the early S4 diffs. I bought his but ended up laving a later center diff (still B5 though) so I machined down his washers. Seems to work well enough. JHM parts should fit all 01e's so you should be good there. Won't improve shifter feel hugely, but it won't lock up 1/2.
-Shawn C.
2001 S4 6spd Avant blk/blk - stock daily
2002 01E B6 A4 Built FYF, Built 1.8T, HX35 ~330whp
1989 MC-1 200 Avant- MS1 -Gone but will never forget her lessons
1987 5ktq Sedan - Best $500 beater ever
vt10vt

Postby Neacail » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:30 pm

I'm picking up a '94 parts car today, with an allegedly blown engine. There's nothing poking out of the block that I can see, and the coil cover hasn't been off in a while by the looks of it. I'm hoping it's just a burned valve or crispy piston and will be a buildable block for future endeavors. It's got an Ecru interior as well, so I'll finally get my shitty drivers' seat replaced.
Will be a for sale thread soon in the swap meet for all the stuff I'm not keeping (carbon trim for example...)
Neacail

Postby IslandRinger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Just found this. Great stuff! More Canadian content! I'm more or less going the exact same route as you. I've got a very similar hardware profile too. Going to be a bit of a learning curve figuring out VEMS. Mine come with an RS2 basemap file as well. Subbed. Will be posting more info on my build thread shortly as well.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:
2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 1.8T [DD/Family Wagen]
1996 Audi UrS6 [The Ongoing Project]

1986 Audi Coupe GT [SOLD]
IslandRinger

Return to Projects