TCombs UrS4, small exhaust leak, need part#

Document and share your build!

Re: TCombs UrS4, Brakes done, and wheel fell off..

Postby audifreakjim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:49 am

Looks like the paint on the mating surface of the hat deformed and allowed the bolts to loosen. Definitely clean the paint off before the next install. I bet the other side is loose too.

Sorry this happened!
audifreakjim

Postby TCombs » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:12 pm

audifreakjim wrote:Looks like the paint on the mating surface of the hat deformed and allowed the bolts to loosen. Definitely clean the paint off before the next install. I bet the other side is loose too.

Sorry this happened!

That’s what I was thinking, it was either that or someone had messed with that wheel for whatever reason. The other side was tight. I got it on the rack last night. Looks like I just need a fender, brake rotor and custom rotor hat and small stuff, as well as a repaint on that caliper. All in all I got lucky with what happened. Probably the best case scenario for this bad event. I appreciate the kind words. This will stay in the back of my mind now when doing anything. I have emailed 2bennett, Apikol and ECS about that hats and I am waiting to hear back. Rotor is easy enough and the fender, I have found a couple on EBay.
1994 Audi URS4 Emerald Green
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby Lucky » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:05 pm

TCombs wrote:I'm in Oregon. Depends where at in Canada you are.
Ha yeah, I say bro because he was just one of those guys who thinks he knows everything. Not someone I would ever take my car too. I did that as well when I put the brakes on. Only drove about 20ft and then I torqued them. I took the wheels back off and bled the brake system at work, and then once again torqued them. Not to sure about what happened.

I'm in Nova Scotia near Halifax. At the start of your thread you mentioned you work at audi? I have a friend that manages the parts department at the halifax Audi location. Would you be able to do some sort of dealership to dealership shipping?

The fender I have is white and actually was shipped to me from Texas lol. Let me know if I can help out.

Cheers.
1988 audi 80, 1994 Urs4, 2005 Ranger
Lucky

Postby speedydtp247 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:26 pm

TCombs wrote:I have emailed 2bennett, Apikol and ECS about that hats and I am waiting to hear back. Rotor is easy enough and the fender, I have found a couple on EBay.

If your having troubles with the custom rotor hats, I say skip them and go with the D2 A8 rotors (just a tad smaller 323mm) and call it a day. That's what I used on my very 1st UrS4. Here are a few pics of the 928GTS "big blacks" on my very 1st UrS4.

Sorry the last 2 pics are small and hard to see the big blacks. If you zoom in you can see them.
speedydtp247

Postby TCombs » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:02 pm

speedydtp247 wrote:
TCombs wrote:I have emailed 2bennett, Apikol and ECS about that hats and I am waiting to hear back. Rotor is easy enough and the fender, I have found a couple on EBay.

If your having troubles with the custom rotor hats, I say skip them and go with the D2 A8 rotors (just a tad smaller 323mm) and call it a day. That's what I used on my very 1st UrS4. Here are a few pics of the 928GTS "big blacks" on my very 1st UrS4.

Sorry the last 2 pics are small and hard to see the big blacks. If you zoom in you can see them.

Bought D2 A8 rotors. They are just around 323x30mm. Which is what I thought, and everyone else has said. Went to put the rotor on and the caliper won't fit back on bracket. The rotor makes the caliper stick about half a bolt off, so it won't line up. SO back to the drawing board. I converted to studs in the front, and will do the back when I have more time, this being said I am just going to buy a new rotor ring and run the custom hats and a new rotor, while I still figure out the fender part. Got a couple of things in the works, just waiting on some cash, like everyone else haha.
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby themagellan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Unless I'm misunderstanding - You can just use a few washers to make up that 2mm to align it.

Probably not the advice you want to hear after the wheel incident though :hide:
themagellan

Postby DE80q » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:02 am

I think he means the rotors are too large on the OD. Can they be manchined down to the correct diameter?
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q

Postby TCombs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:58 am

DE80q wrote:I think he means the rotors are too large on the OD. Can they be manchined down to the correct diameter?

Sorry guys, I didn’t explain that very well. The rotor fits pretty dang good. I was happy with it. It’s the actual hat on the rotor, I guess is just to “short” so the actual rotor pulls the caliper about 2-3 off center of the bolt holes when everything is installed. So the rotor hat on the A8 needs to be a bit “taller” to allow the caliper to be sucked in more (into the wheel well) so that the bolt holes line up. The rotor pulls the caliper out toward the wheel. Or the brackets aren’t meant for these rotors.
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby DE80q » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:41 am

There is always the spacer option to fix that. That's what I had to do for the Porsche setup on a friend's 80q.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q

Postby TCombs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:14 am

Quick update. Got the new rotor on, stud conversion on all four wheels, and also got the fender off to see the damage. Looks like it’s just the fender which is good. Working on getting one of those here soon. Don’t think I will drive the car until I get a new fender on it though.
Attachments
8C168E08-2E23-46B2-ACAA-5FE571ECB7F3.jpeg
8C168E08-2E23-46B2-ACAA-5FE571ECB7F3.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 503 times
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Re: TCombs UrS4, brake rotor on, fender off.

Postby pilihp2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Maybe a sore subject, but what rotors and hats are you using? are you using Apikol brackets to run those 993 calipers?
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
91 v8 5spd - I guess I'm a masochist
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - 2 wheeled hooliganism

-Terrible at responding to PM's
pilihp2

Postby TCombs » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:50 pm

pilihp2 wrote:Maybe a sore subject, but what rotors and hats are you using? are you using Apikol brackets to run those 993 calipers?

The rotors are from a 993 Turbo. 323x32mm or alike. I bought a two piece rotor from Autohausaz and just swapped hats over. The hats are custom. Still trying to find replacements for them. But no luck so far. 2bennett has some I believe but they are $$$.

There is some great info on QuattroWorld.
https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/25331.phtml
Let me know if that link works, if not just go to Quattro World and go the FAQ for the UrS4/6.
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby TCombs » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Found an exhaust leak yesterday while I was cleaning some stuff up. It seems the gasket in between the down pipe and the cat has deteriorated. I have the Gen 4 Stomung, and need some help finding the right gasket. It’s a 3” with a two hole if that makes sense.
I have done some looking around but can’t seem to find the right one and was wondering if anyone else had run into this and knew of a part number. Doesn’t seem like there Is much of a gasket left so I doubt taking one in will be much help, if there is anything to take in that is.
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Re: TCombs UrS4, small exhaust leak, need part#

Postby ringbearer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 pm

Summit or Jegs. It's just a 3" 2 bolt hole generic gasket IIRC. I love Remflex, will never fail! If you can say that about exhaust parts...
ringbearer

Re: TCombs UrS4, small exhaust leak, need part#

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Other decent option while it's apart is remove and install a V-band which will preempt future gasket replacement and make future access much easier.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Previous

Return to Projects