Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Document and share your build!

Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:26 am

I guess it is time to put this in the forum. I do not expect this build to be anything exceptional. It seems I am doing things that have been tried and tested and with reliable results. It seems that the 1991 200 Avant club is ever shrinking but I never got rid of this one, it has moved with me from Boston to Denver to Atlanta. Each place I have worked on it and improved it for the most part and now I am going to get into it and finish (it never really ends) my grand vision of what I have always wanted the wagon to be. The history of the car is simple, I once had a 1990 coupe that I built in Portland a long time ago as a 20 something kid with plans to put a 20vt engine in it. I moved to Boston to go to school a little later in life and the coupe was perfect, body and drivetrain just waiting for a donor 20vt from a junkyard. It took a few years but I saw a car coming up at auction in Upstate NY and I ended up buying this wagon as a deer strike car, it was in perfect condition but oddly the impact of the deer was in such a way that the hoof went in between the hood and the cross brace, struck the timing wheel and broke it. Salvage car, but the hood was only slightly bent on the front lip and the right front fender bent in at the bottom back part of the wheel well where the deer wrapped around and struck it. Otherwise this was a showroom quality car.

I rebuilt it to stock spec's and started to drive it. WOW, the car was so much fun to drive and the gas mileage was impressive. Sooooo I chipped it and fell in love. I knew I could NEVER scrap this car for the engine, I needed to find one of those DIRTY sedans that were so common and wait until one got crunched....which life led me down other roads and I never built the coupe and eventually it vanished into thin air and my focus stayed with the wagon.

In Denver, I found a strong community but I also ended up stretching my funds between 2 other 1991 avants and a 2004 Allroad that I built into a monster (to me, as everything is relative). Short story is I used this car for snowboarding trips with the friends, as I believe it was meant to be used in the mountains. The car performed perfectly, and I put the Porsche calipers on it and dumped the UFO's after reading one of Loxx's many write up's. Then I found out I was going to be a father, I sold everything I could for cars and tools and moved to Atlanta. I never listed this wagon as it was going to stay with me for as long as I could keep it. Turn's out being a Father is AMAZING, so I focused on my baby girl and put the best car cover I could find on the Audi with a full tank of gas...for 5 years.

Finally bought a house with a decent garage, enough land to plant the fruit and nut tree's that I grew up with in the NW'st and put my baby girl in Kindergarten 7 months ago. My eyes once again fell onto the wagon. It took me 6 months to unpack the house and get to the garage, it took me 3 weekends to make space to work around the car and now it lives again.

I bought a VEMS unit while I was in Denver from Marc, the reciept was 6 years old when I looked at it 3 weeks ago but last weekend I finally got it in the car and it started right up! (I made sure the car ran and drove before I put the VEMS into it) but every person reading this knows what comes next....VEMS is for bigger turbo's, injectors, inter coolers and blah blah blah. SOooooo I bought a EFR 6758, 1000cc injectors and ordered an inter cooler to be made from Nick ( at Marc's recommendation). Once I tune that for around 400ish HP/Trq I will get the rods put in.

Suspension is this weekend, I am doing odd things like replacing the 2 pin clips that deteriorated clipping to the fuel injectors, fixing the instrument cluster as the hazard lights are illuminated, tackling the suspension with fingers crossed and installing an Apikol rear diff mount. I will move down the line to refreshing the interior after suspension and Vem's are dialed in. Then it is 6 speed and find a place for a top speed run....
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby dana » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 am

that story nearly brought a tear to my eye. Cool to think of how fast life progresses. Now your kid is in school, and your avant will soon be fast enough to school some kids.
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
User avatar
dana
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Oct 14, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:59 am

maxnadri wrote:I guess it is time to put this in the forum. I do not expect this build to be anything exceptional. It seems I am doing things that have been tried and tested and with reliable results. It seems that the 1991 200 Avant club is ever shrinking but I never got rid of this one, it has moved with me from Boston to Denver to Atlanta. Each place I have worked on it and improved it for the most part and now I am going to get into it and finish (it never really ends) my grand vision of what I have always wanted the wagon to be. The history of the car is simple, I once had a 1990 coupe that I built in Portland a long time ago as a 20 something kid with plans to put a 20vt engine in it. I moved to Boston to go to school a little later in life and the coupe was perfect, body and drivetrain just waiting for a donor 20vt from a junkyard. It took a few years but I saw a car coming up at auction in Upstate NY and I ended up buying this wagon as a deer strike car, it was in perfect condition but oddly the impact of the deer was in such a way that the hoof went in between the hood and the cross brace, struck the timing wheel and broke it. Salvage car, but the hood was only slightly bent on the front lip and the right front fender bent in at the bottom back part of the wheel well where the deer wrapped around and struck it. Otherwise this was a showroom quality car.

I rebuilt it to stock spec's and started to drive it. WOW, the car was so much fun to drive and the gas mileage was impressive. Sooooo I chipped it and fell in love. I knew I could NEVER scrap this car for the engine, I needed to find one of those DIRTY sedans that were so common and wait until one got crunched....which life led me down other roads and I never built the coupe and eventually it vanished into thin air and my focus stayed with the wagon.

In Denver, I found a strong community but I also ended up stretching my funds between 2 other 1991 avants and a 2004 Allroad that I built into a monster (to me, as everything is relative). Short story is I used this car for snowboarding trips with the friends, as I believe it was meant to be used in the mountains. The car performed perfectly, and I put the Porsche calipers on it and dumped the UFO's after reading one of Loxx's many write up's. Then I found out I was going to be a father, I sold everything I could for cars and tools and moved to Atlanta. I never listed this wagon as it was going to stay with me for as long as I could keep it. Turn's out being a Father is AMAZING, so I focused on my baby girl and put the best car cover I could find on the Audi with a full tank of gas...for 5 years.

Finally bought a house with a decent garage, enough land to plant the fruit and nut tree's that I grew up with in the NW'st and put my baby girl in Kindergarten 7 months ago. My eyes once again fell onto the wagon. It took me 6 months to unpack the house and get to the garage, it took me 3 weekends to make space to work around the car and now it lives again.

I bought a VEMS unit while I was in Denver from Marc, the reciept was 6 years old when I looked at it 3 weeks ago but last weekend I finally got it in the car and it started right up! (I made sure the car ran and drove before I put the VEMS into it) but every person reading this knows what comes next....VEMS is for bigger turbo's, injectors, inter coolers and blah blah blah. SOooooo I bought a EFR 6758, 1000cc injectors and ordered an inter cooler to be made from Nick ( at Marc's recommendation). Once I tune that for around 400ish HP/Trq I will get the rods put in.

Suspension is this weekend, I am doing odd things like replacing the 2 pin clips that deteriorated clipping to the fuel injectors, fixing the instrument cluster as the hazard lights are illuminated, tackling the suspension with fingers crossed and installing an Apikol rear diff mount. I will move down the line to refreshing the interior after suspension and Vem's are dialed in. Then it is 6 speed and find a place for a top speed run....
Adding picturesImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:06 pm

dana wrote:that story nearly brought a tear to my eye. Cool to think of how fast life progresses. Now your kid is in school, and your avant will soon be fast enough to school some kids.
Thanks. My older brother has a best friend that I have known since I was 6 years old. He kept his 1970 Nova that he bought in high school. Still has it today and I am in the same situation with this car. It's just something that I know I would regret selling and that I have always made adjustments to keep. I cannot justify the money spent, but now that my daughter is old enough she walks by it and asks why we have NEVER driven the Audi. I always reply that it simply goes too fast. She replies "but dad I LOVE to go fast!"

Bless her heart, it's all realitive to personal experiences lol. I want to make sure this car is 100% before she gets in it lol. ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby ringbearer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Awesome! That’s a good age to get back in the garage :)
User avatar
ringbearer
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: Nor-Cal

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby Afterthought » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Nice! Looks like an Indy turbo?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
****
Afterthought

1983 UrQuattro - http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1819&p=72513#p72513
1983 Ur Quattro Amazon Blue / Zebra MC
GMC 2500HD
Afterthought
 
Posts: 825
Joined: Jan 16, 2014
Location: Bellingham, Wa

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Afterthought wrote:Nice! Looks like an Indy turbo?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is an Indy Turbo! How would you know that lol, I am new to party so nothing is obvious to me. It seems nice and tight, nothing like the slop in the wheel of the stock turdo on my car now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:14 pm

More progress today

Let another Audi guy today and he helped out a bit with the instrument cluster today. Took it out and cleaned all the circuitry since the car had been stored for 5 plus years with water accumulating in the foot wells it was over run with mold and moisture. Now it works like new. Replaced a back bulb so all headlights, hi/low, blinkers and brake bulbs work.

I took the rear springs out and took the front brakes off in preparation for yanking the suspension out tomorrow. I took an 80 grit wire brush and knocked off some rust scaling in preparation for a rattle can of rust stop. I am going to wire in a rear view mirror that has auto dimming and 3 garage buttons in it to make the car more functional.

I have a China rs2 knockoff exhaust header that I need to adapt the EFR turbo onto. I cannot remember if it's a T3 or a T4 flange but once I figure that out I can purchase the v band adapter so I can start attempting the new turbo placement.

The connectors for the fuel injectors are just crumbling in my hands, located some at Napa for 17 dollars a piece, I think I see some on Amazon for 10ish but I would have thought this would have been a bit less for such a random common part

Tomorrow I will try to finish the suspension.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby a-talk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Love a great Avant resurrection story. Subscribed.
2010 Audi A4 Avant - daily driver!
1990 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant - rear-ended, future uncertain . . .
1984 Porsche 944 - just keeping the damned thing running :)
a-talk
 
Posts: 22
Joined: May 17, 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby PRY4SNO » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:49 pm

:metoo:

Love where this is going!
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
User avatar
PRY4SNO
 
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mar 3, 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby Nateflix56 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 am

When I was younger I never thought life would keep me out of the garage, but now I can totally relate.

Excited to see how this turns out!
90 CQ - 07k Swap Pending
15 2500HD Sierra Denali Duramax
01.5 B5 S4 (Sold)
98 Jetta VRT (Sold)
Nateflix56
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Dec 27, 2017
Location: Puyallup, Wa

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Today is Martin Luther king Jrs birthday. I am attempting to stuff as much of this into and on the car as possible...starting with suspension and diff mount. Then coil injector plugs, auto dimming rear view mirror with garage remote buttons. Injectors and turbo will wait until adapters and intercooler come in.Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:02 pm

Progress Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby pilihp2 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that rear spring perch is on upside down.

Love the story and the car though.
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
91 v8 5spd - I guess I'm a masochist
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - 2 wheeled hooliganism

-Terrible at responding to PM's
User avatar
pilihp2
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mar 1, 2013
Location: Reno, Nv

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Fronts look horrible!ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:36 pm

maxnadri wrote:Progress Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
THANK GOD I just read this! Thank you for the heads up, correcting it now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 pm

pilihp2 wrote:Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that rear spring perch is on upside down.

Love the story and the car though.
One side fixed. Just curious, would that have been a safety issue? Would the bilstiens not have functioned correctly? I would love stock ride height with a firmer suspension on this car. Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby pilihp2 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:43 pm

I believe the spring would not stay seated properly with it upside down like that. you'll notice that the perch has indents in the for the end of the spring. Without it hitting those indents I believe it could move around.
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
91 v8 5spd - I guess I'm a masochist
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - 2 wheeled hooliganism

-Terrible at responding to PM's
User avatar
pilihp2
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mar 1, 2013
Location: Reno, Nv

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Nrw Rear springs and struts in the car. Harness coils corrected. Fronts have a frozen strut cap so far it has been denying me...going on 3 hours for everything, clearly rear springs done twice lol!Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:18 pm

All in, everything seems good. Have to let it settle before I take it for alignment. So tomorrow is take it out and map the VEMS. ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby Aktapod » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Great thread and story! Pretty sure you did more in one week than I have in my 4 years on the forum lol. Definitely subbing so I can live the Avant life vicariously.
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
- 1992 Audi V8 5-speed swap
- 2002 Audi S8
Aktapod
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Dec 18, 2013
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Tonight I installed a auto dimming rear view mirror with garage door openers. I was able to buy a spring off a passenger mirror and get it onto my driver door. Apikol rear diff is in and a new rear caliper on the rear drivers side. I do not have the rotor yet so just installed it with the crusty old pads matched to the crust old rotor. Cleaned the speed sensors to have a cleaner read for the VEMS. Little by little this is getting done. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby AudiSport4000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Nice to see another Lago avant around here!!

I have a new set of rear caliper carriers if you were looking for any. Just noticed the calipers.

Keep the updates coming!
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby maxnadri » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 am

AudiSport4000 wrote:Nice to see another Lago avant around here!!

I have a new set of rear caliper carriers if you were looking for any. Just noticed the calipers.

Keep the updates coming!


PM me with how much you would like for them shipped to 30078, I was was going to yank those off and sand the rust off and paint them with Rust Stop but maybe your option would be better lol.
maxnadri
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 6, 2013

Re: Avant 200 version 3.0 new and improved

Postby pilihp2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:10 am

I'm sure it's probably okay but those rubber rear brake lines are lookin a bit crusty and brittle.

Love this car. I need an avant so bad.
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
91 v8 5spd - I guess I'm a masochist
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - 2 wheeled hooliganism

-Terrible at responding to PM's
User avatar
pilihp2
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mar 1, 2013
Location: Reno, Nv

Next

Return to Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests