Tarpan's 1996 Audi UrS6 - Suspension done. What's next?

Document and share your build!

Tarpan's 1996 Audi UrS6 - Suspension done. What's next?

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:06 am

I've been a member of this site a while and haven't really posted a ton. As my username says, I used to own an 86 Coupe GT which is now departed to another owner. I've had this car for about 2 years already and neglected to make a build thread. I'll start by saying this will be a pretty humble and mild build in comparison to some of the stuff you guys have been doing but I figured this will be a great place to at least document the build and also get a ton of good ideas and information for the future.

I have to say I love this car and it has treated me pretty damn well. I drove the car on and off since picking it up. The big item that had been bugging me since then was the ride quality was terribly diminished. I knew I was due for a suspension overhaul on top of a few other things. Right off the bat, I installed new brake pads, rotors, flex lines, and fluid as the brake system was pretty poor. Soon after, I installed new strut mounts, as well as an HID kit from VVME. It stayed in this configuration for quite a while and was a great stock cruiser. Then, I decided to buckle down on getting some proper preventative maintenance done as well as some major work. This is the first time I've had to do a lot of this work so a lot of this has been a great learning experience for me. Nothing a Bentley manual and the interwebz can't solve! Onwards to the major work.

Round 1:
I started the whole process about a year ago. First thing I did was redo the entire coolant system. Coolant flush and change to G12+ with new hoses where required as well as new OEM sensors and thermostat. Now I shouldn't have any concerns with brittle plastics or leaks for a while to come. Next was some general maintenance items with new wipers and air filter. I don't think the air filter had been done in a long time so it was pretty gnarly. OEM paper filter in! Last for round one was some HPR 60A motor mounts. They definitely stiffened up the motor movement. I'm not sure if it was the motor mounts, the filter, or a combination but I definitely found that I could hear the engine noise a bit better overall. Screw NVH, Inline-5 ftw!

Round 2:
I picked up a TFSI conversion kit (Norbert) for the vehicle as replacement coils for the UrS cars is nearly $200 for ONE COIL!!!! F!@# that! The harness was professionally made and was super easy to install. I also took this as an opportunity to remove the valve cover and redo the Valve Cover Gasket as I was getting oil leaking into the spark plug wells. Valve cover was also sent for powdercoating at this point. Everything was cleaned well and all of it was reinstalled. I picked up some black 2.0 TFSI coilpacks to go with the conversion harness and I have to say it looks great! Not to mention, $~25 a pop for the coilpacks is a beauty.

Round 3:
Next came the beginning of the suspension rebuild. I ordered most of my parts from VM Autohaus. Kris there was solid as ever to provide me OEM quality parts. If any of you Canadian folks need quality OEM parts, order from these guys. They will gladly ship. Mention my name (Tarpan) and you may even get a bit of a discount. I also ordered a few bushings and mounts from Apikol, as well as a couple from Energy Suspension and Powerflex. Plan was to put Poly bushings where possible and then OEM bushings everywhere else. New shocks and springs were supplied from Essex Distributors (aka RPI Equipped) in the form of Bilstein Sports and H&R 29800s. This would give me a modest 1.5" drop.

I won't go into full detail but I decided to remove the entire rear subframe for ease of removal and installation of parts. Just this process was tedious as I ran into plenty of hang-ups. (ie. rusted-to-hell/seized fasteners) When I finally got it all unfastened on on the garage floor, it was clear I had plenty of work to do. A new Apikol Diff. Mount was the first thing to go on followed by Apikol Subframe Mounts. The rear subframe was cleaned up of grime and dirt and painted. Inner Trap Arm to Subframe Bushings were swapped for Powerflex units. Front Trap Arm Mount Bushings were swapped for Energy Suspension bushings. The remainder of the bushings were replaced as required with OEM rubber bushings. Both rear suspension units were installed with the new parts as well. To add to the work, both rear calipers were rebuilt and parking brake mechanisms were freed up and heavily lubricated to go along with new parking brake cables. SS Rear Brake Flex lines were installed and a new section of hard line had to be installed due to a rusty section. New fasteners were used all around and the whole rear end was reinstalled. The rear end took wayyyy longer than I wanted but my wife and I had our first child in the middle of this so progress was severely thwarted. Finally got the rear end sorted with the help of a mate and then flipped the car around and got a crack on the front end.

Round 4:
I was hoping the front end would be a lot easier and straight-forward. I'm happy to report that this has been the case so far in terms of removal/disassembly. I followed my own wisdom and removed the entire front subframe to aid and expedite the process. I currently have the front subframe deconstructed. HPR 60A transmission mounts have been installed along with OEM front subframe bushings.

Items to be done yet:
- Sway Bar and Modified Camber Plates (ECS/Igor) to be powdercoated
- OEM Front Subframe Mounts
- New TRW Control Arms
- OEM Sway Bar Bushings
- Front uprights to be rebuilt with new components
- Front Apikol Snub Mount
- 4-wheel Alignment

As a bonus, I recently picked up a set of 18x8 Avid 1 AV-20 wheels that should fill the wheel wells nicely with the new drop. They will be wrapped with 235/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. I also have my front Porsche 996 BBK all assembled so that will be on the bench waiting to be installed in the near future. Just need to pick up some pads. I'm thinking Akebono? It really doesn't need to be said but I really can't wait to get this car back on the road. I do have more plans for the vehicle but as the saying goes, "One step at a time!" First step is to tackle a few reliability and preventative maintenance items and then I'll start focusing on power mods.

Hope you folks enjoyed the procrastinated post. I'll post pictures of some of the work I've done in the near future as I'm currently away for work. Stay Dirty!
AudiCoupeGT1986

Re: 1996 Audi UrS6 - Time to stop lurking!

Postby Fourringsofhappiness » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Hey Tarpan,

Last time I seen your S6 was very stock, looking forward to seeing it again after your mods/installs etc..
Not often seeing a nice Europa/Platinum example in our area, Good to see!!

Jeff
Fourringsofhappiness

Re: 1996 Audi UrS6 - Time to stop lurking!

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks Jeff! It'll be nice once I've finally gotten this work done. Its definitely a slippery slope. I'm already starting to piece out and plan for future work. Jeez! Hope to see your car in the near future as well!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
AudiCoupeGT1986

Re: 1996 Audi UrS6 - Now with pictures!

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 am

Finally some pics! Car looks slightly different than the pics indicate but I'll get some more recent pics once I'm done the suspension work. Pardon some of the large pics, I haven't quite figured out how to resize the pics on Imgur.

The car the day I got it.

Cooling System Refresh

VVME HIDs installed

New S-badge sticker

Time for a new Valve Cover Gasket + TFSI Coil Conversion installed with powdercoated Valve Cover

Rear Suspension work

Currently working on the front end

To be installed in the near future(?) - Porsche 996 calipers with D2 A8 323x30 rotors
AudiCoupeGT1986

Re: 1996 Audi UrS6 - Now with pics!

Postby ringbearer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am

Looks great!

You will be ready for the Volvo turbo in no time :)
ringbearer

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 am

ringbearer wrote:Looks great!

You will be ready for the Volvo turbo in no time :)

Thanks! I've been planning a Volvo Turbo upgrade for a while. Surpising how pricey the used Volvo K24s have become. Pretty hard to find them at the sub-$200 mark as mentioned by Dave P. when the mod was first brought up. I've even considered the Holset HX35 route. Definitely wanted to get the suspension, braking, and preventative maintenance items done before moving onto power upgrades.
AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby Phabio14 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:48 pm

Where can I get one of them fancy silicone throttle body hoses?
Phabio14

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Phabio14 wrote:Where can I get one of them fancy silicone throttle body hoses?
Those would be Samco hoses. They were luckily on the car when purchased. You can still buy them new. Might be able to find a used set once in a while. Different colours are available as well.

AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby Phabio14 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:27 pm

AudiCoupeGT1986 wrote:
Phabio14 wrote:Where can I get one of them fancy silicone throttle body hoses?
Those would be Samco hoses. They were luckily on the car when purchased. You can still buy them new. Might be able to find a used set once in a while. Different colours are available as well.

I am an Idiot. I have a full set my just aren't pretty red like yours. I don't have a silicone hose leading to the turbo. My bad haha.
Phabio14

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Fairly productive day today.

Got the Driver's Side front shock tower disassembled. The old OEM Boge strut was blown as suspected. I then began cleaning the shock tower of rust and hit it with a couple coats of Tremclad semi-gloss Black. Then I zipped out to get my modified camber plates and strut bar out to powder coat. Lastly, I got my Avid 1 AV-20s wrapped in 235/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. Can't wait to get these mounted once the rest of the car is all back together. Just a couple pics of today's work.

AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Started reassembly of the DS shock tower. Bilstein Sport in and torqued. H&R 29800 on. New protective boot installed and top spring buffer/retainer placed. Can't completed the reassembly until I get the camber plates back from powder coat. New strut bearings to be installed with the fresh parts as well.

As I couldn't go on with that job, I moved to replacing the tie rod ends. Had issues initially trying to get the tie rod end to budge but the old heat wrench maneuver eventually worked like a charm.
AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Ugh. Ran into an issue today which slowed up my progress.

I was stoked yesterday to get my swaybar and camber plates back from powdercoat. They looked great! This meant I could finally finish assembling the front strut towers. It seems that the "modified" strut plates that I got a while back were totally not compatible with my setup. The camber compensation offset was far too aggressive which meant I couldn't install the strut mount without major interference. F$!@#$#

I contemplated my options. Find properly modded camber plates, purchase fully adjustable camber plates, or modify my own stock camber plates. As I really didn't want to spend more money, I opted to modify my plates. I have the template center-punched into the plates and pilot holes have been drilled. Hopefully, in the next day or two, I'll get the plate modifications finished and then I can continue with the process.

Minor setback!
AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Crisis averted.

Ended up ditching my newly powdercoated aftermarket camber plates. Pretty annoyed about that but they just wouldn't work. Modified my OEM camber plates to allow for the new change in camber with the new suspension parts. This should keep my front end within alignment specs. Camber plates on, strut mounts on, and new strut bearings on. DS Strut Tower to install. Need to clean up and paint the PS Strut Tower yet and then reassemble with the new parts. Then, new control arms, new swaybar bushings, plug it all together with the subframe, and then reinstall with all new fasteners...

Sounds like I'm almost there :P
AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby morris400 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Very nice looking car. good work, nice to see them still being saved. jealous of the BBK...that's my next big mod.
1994 UrS4 Intended Acceleration Chip
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- ( gone but not forgotten )
IF YOU CANT STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS...FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!
morris400

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:14 am

morris400 wrote:Very nice looking car. good work, nice to see them still being saved. jealous of the BBK...that's my next big mod.

Thanks! The car was definitely in decent condition when I first got it so it was definitely worth hanging onto. Paint isn't as nice as it was due to actually driving it. Lower part of front bumper is a bit beat up but nothing serious.

I wanted to focus on sorting the suspension and then braking before moving to power mods. The BBK will hopefully go on this winter but I'm in no rush to get it on. I got a great deal on the calipers and basically stole the D2 A8 rotors. Brackets were reasonably acquired and cleaned up. Got SS lines ready to go on. Just need to swap the crossover tubes and bleeders and it should all go on alright. Doubt I'll have any clearance issues with the new wheels going on.

Still have a couple of preventative maintenance items to get ticked off before I'm fully happy as well. T-Belt job needs to get done along with a couple others.
AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby morris400 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 am

I finished up my suspension last spring, best thing ive done so far. looking to do my HX35 install soon, have most of the parts too but I'm having second thoughts as the car is running good now and really don't want to get in over my head. I like the stock reliability and may just rebuild the stock turbo and install a larger EM. Still going to play with some other options, Volvo turbo sounds good to.

AudiCoupeGT1986 wrote:
morris400 wrote:Very nice looking car. good work, nice to see them still being saved. jealous of the BBK...that's my next big mod.

Thanks! The car was definitely in decent condition when I first got it so it was definitely worth hanging onto. Paint isn't as nice as it was due to actually driving it. Lower part of front bumper is a bit beat up but nothing serious.

I wanted to focus on sorting the suspension and then braking before moving to power mods. The BBK will hopefully go on this winter but I'm in no rush to get it on. I got a great deal on the calipers and basically stole the D2 A8 rotors. Brackets were reasonably acquired and cleaned up. Got SS lines ready to go on. Just need to swap the crossover tubes and bleeders and it should all go on alright. Doubt I'll have any clearance issues with the new wheels going on.

Still have a couple of preventative maintenance items to get ticked off before I'm fully happy as well. T-Belt job needs to get done along with a couple others.
1994 UrS4 Intended Acceleration Chip
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- ( gone but not forgotten )
IF YOU CANT STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS...FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!
morris400

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:53 am

Assistance required!

I feel like I'm losing it. I've been away from the car for the weekend and finally got back to working on it. Started with reassembling the subframe. I got the sway bar installed with new bushings. I was just about to start installing the new control arms when I thought I noticed a slight indentation on the PS of the subframe and perhaps even the center portion. I've posted some pics for reference. Am I losing it?

Driver Side

Middle

Passenger Side
AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby Hybrid_Hatch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am

my ears are burning....

in some ways s60r turbos have got cheaper. I now see them in local junkyards. Car-Part has several for 350. If you watch the Facebook Volvo Groups, i see them under 200 still. I've bought 2 this year.
Hybrid_Hatch

Postby Hybrid_Hatch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:48 am

both 250 ASKING price. they pop up and sell day in and day out.
Hybrid_Hatch

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 am

Hybrid_Hatch wrote:Image

both 250 ASKING price. they pop up and sell day in and day out.

Well damn! I thought I was doing a good job sleuthing for those turbos. Apparently not! Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep snooping around. Not a priority for me right now but if something ends up being a good deal, I may jump on it.
AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 am

Also, I think I was losing it and I believe I answered my own question regarding the subframe. If I'm not mistaken, that indent is to help clearance the exhaust piping. Subframe now reassembled and to be installed on the car.
AudiCoupeGT1986

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Big push over the last few days. Ran into a few problems which slowed the process a bit.

One of the bigger issues I had was getting the ball joint stud into the steering knuckle. The DS side went in fairly easily while the PS fought me for at least a full day. Slept on it and with the help and advice of the UrS community, I was able to pop it in a finish up the front end. Everything is torqued besides the few stretch fasteners that will be torqued up after I get my alignment done. Getting pretty excited. Car is filthy, need to insure the car again. Should be on the road soon though!
AudiCoupeGT1986

Re: 1996 Audi UrS6 - Finally!

Postby AudiCoupeGT1986 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:56 pm

I did it... it's finally done!

I actually finished putting everything back on last night but fired it up for the first time this morning. The last few days gave me another set of major headaches. I found that my PS front CV joint had popped off the axle somehow. This forced me to pull the axle, clean-up, inspect, and repack the CV joint. This morning, I took the car around the block to make sure nothing was going to fall off. I noticed some metallic scraping noise. Back into the driveway, back up on jackstands. This revealed the brake shields and the driveshaft shield rubbing. With some massaging, it was all back to normal. Took the car back around the block, no noises. Then hit the gas station for a tank full of premium, cheated and went to the touchless car was (it was filthy), and then did a couple short pulls on the way home.

I'm really so happy with how the work turned out. No more steering wheel shake when going over manhole covers, no more squeaks and rattles when going over bumps, road irregularities are hardly noticed, feels great while turning, definitely less squat when pulling, and the stance looks great. :yippie: :toothy:

What's next? Nothing this major for a little bit that's for sure. Car goes in for an alignment tomorrow morning. I'm going to enjoy the car in it's current state for a little bit. Still have some minor preventative maintenance items to do but I'll pick away at them in due time. The Porsche 996 BBK + D2 A8 rotors is basically ready to go. Just need to find the time to swap the crossover tubes and bleeder screws and then mount everything. I have a Volvo S60R turbo on the way but that'll require a few more parts before I go that route fully. Till then, here are some pics of the finished (for now) product.

AudiCoupeGT1986

Re: 1996 Audi UrS6 - Finally!

Postby Fourringsofhappiness » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Lookin' good!!
Fourringsofhappiness

Re: Tarpan's 1996 Audi UrS6 - Suspension done. What's next?

Postby IslandRinger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks for the upload Marc! :ty:
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:
2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 1.8T [DD/Family Wagen]
1996 Audi UrS6 [The Ongoing Project]

1986 Audi Coupe GT [SOLD]
IslandRinger

Next

Return to Projects