Brian’s 95 urS6 Adventure

Document and share your build!

Postby blbroo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:44 pm

I bought this in November 2017 and drove it from Maine to St. Louis over two days. Made the entire trip without needing to touch a tool, but that would soon change.

Issues from the start:
A6 fenders and front bumper
Hideous wheels
Fuel cut from cheap eBay maf
Poorly done timing belt job (discovered just in time)
Poorly performing injectors
Loose clamps on boost hoses
Cracked vac lines
Rust
Worn suspension

So, I probably way overpaid at $2500, but it’s close to the best $2500 I’ve ever spent.
Progress so far:

BBS wheels with tires for $400

Fenders and bumper from Marcel

Tightened every hose clamp and replaced vac lines

RS2 replica injectors and 3 bar FPR

Spark plugs

While working in the garage with a urS4 owner, we heard a rubbing sound start under the timing belt cover. Luckily, we shut the car off in time and just at the right spot to see this.

The cog had been reuses and broke, then that piece cut the belt.

With encouragement from the FB group, I ordered parts and did a complete timing service.

Mounted my B8 roof rack, with some modifications

Sold my significantly modded B8

Installed a boost gauge
The car has had a TAP stage 2 tune since 1998 and makes boost well.

Now daily driving the S6.

To be done soon.
New springs and koni shocks
Resonator install to fix drone
Other suspension parts
Body work and paint

I thought I would miss my A4 but love the S6 a lot already.

In a couple of months I’ll buy a newer dedicated daily so the project can proceed at a calm pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
give me coffee to change things I can change, and whisky to accept the ones I can not/

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Re: Brian’s 95 urS6 Adventure

Postby Nateflix56 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Nice pick-up! It can be tough going from commuting in a modern car to one 20 years older, but when they're fun to drive it makes it all worth it!
90 CQ - 07k Swap Pending
15 2500HD Sierra Denali Duramax
01.5 B5 S4 (Sold)
98 Jetta VRT (Sold)
Nateflix56

Postby blbroo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Besides the crappy suspension and brain numbing drone, I love daily driving the S6. It has so much more character and connection than the A4 did. My A4 was also manual and had a turbo upgrade with water meth injection. With so much power, gear changing wasn't as involved as the ur.
give me coffee to change things I can change, and whisky to accept the ones I can not/

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:00 am

Nice intro and work thus far. Dodged a bullet with the tbelt for sure. Looking forward to seeing more!
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby chaloux » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:27 am

Hey that's a great save with the timing belt, yikes! Bumper looks pretty good (Marcel is me old man). I think it's time for me to get rid of the Jetta and into an S car again. Need some 5zyl in my life.
Matt

01 Allroad 6speed - RS4 clutch, catless downpipes, stuklr tune
04 Jetta TDI - DC stage I clutch/14lb fw
DEATH by rust - 96 Audi A6 Avant 2.5l TDI
GONE :( 87 4ktq - 4 FOX SNAKES
DEAD :( - 1996 S6 mit TDI
chaloux

Postby blbroo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:12 pm

chaloux wrote:Hey that's a great save with the timing belt, yikes! Bumper looks pretty good (Marcel is me old man). I think it's time for me to get rid of the Jetta and into an S car again. Need some 5zyl in my life.

Hey Marcel! Mayur’s car is running great too, with the ecu he got when you were down.

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby chaloux » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Oh, sorry. I meant that "Marcel is me old man," as in, he's my dad. Hahaha. But yes I remember him going down to my sister's with a bunch of stuff just before Christmas. Or after Christmas? I can't remember now. Always great to see it go to forum members!
Matt

01 Allroad 6speed - RS4 clutch, catless downpipes, stuklr tune
04 Jetta TDI - DC stage I clutch/14lb fw
DEATH by rust - 96 Audi A6 Avant 2.5l TDI
GONE :( 87 4ktq - 4 FOX SNAKES
DEAD :( - 1996 S6 mit TDI
chaloux

Postby IslandRinger » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Nice pick-up and good stuff on the work so far!

I'm currently prepping myself to do the timing belt and the related "while-you're-in-there" items. First t-belt job for me so a little intimidated but with a couple DIYs and Bentley manual in hand, I feel like I'll be alright. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated!

If you need any help with suspension items, give me a shout. I recently refreshed my entire suspension front and rear. Still fresh in my memory. Feel free to pick my brain.
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:
2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 1.8T [DD/Family Wagen]
1996 Audi UrS6 [The Ongoing Project]

1986 Audi Coupe GT [SOLD]
IslandRinger

Postby blbroo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:33 pm

IslandRinger wrote:Nice pick-up and good stuff on the work so far!

I'm currently prepping myself to do the timing belt and the related "while-you're-in-there" items. First t-belt job for me so a little intimidated but with a couple DIYs and Bentley manual in hand, I feel like I'll be alright. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated!

If you need any help with suspension items, give me a shout. I recently refreshed my entire suspension front and rear. Still fresh in my memory. Feel free to pick my brain.

Thanks! I’ll take you up on that right away. The strut insert was cake to get out and they are Bilstein B8s that still seem really strong.

The springs though.

What is the best method for getting a good one in and out?

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby IslandRinger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 am

blbroo wrote:

Thanks! I’ll take you up on that right away. The strut insert was cake to get out and they are Bilstein B8s that still seem really strong.

The springs though.

Damn that's pretty messed up! Heard of this happening to a few people. I don't live in a rust belt so I'm not sure how common this is. I removed stock springs and shocks/struts and installed H&R 29800s with Bilstein Sports on my car. Removal was fairly simple in my case. For both the front and rear, I dropped the subframes to aid and expedite the work that would be done to the bushings and such. This made removal of the springs fairly easy with a proper spring compressing tool. These can be found and most FLAPS. All that really needs to be done is to remove the three shock/strut securing nuts at the top of the strut/shock which secure it to the car. Make sure to use new fasteners when you reinstall everything as they use lock-nuts and they have a limited lifespan after a few torque sequences.
Here are some pics for an example. I got bunch more of assorted suspension component work if you need too.

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby blbroo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 am

IslandRinger wrote:
blbroo wrote:

The springs though.

Damn that's pretty messed up! Heard of this happening to a few people. I don't live in a rust belt so I'm not sure how common this is. I removed stock springs and shocks/struts and installed H&R 29800s with Bilstein Sports on my car. Removal was fairly simple in my case. For both the front and rear, I dropped the subframes to aid and expedite the work that would be done to the bushings and such. This made removal of the springs fairly easy with a proper spring compressing tool. These can be found and most FLAPS. All that really needs to be done is to remove the three shock/strut securing nuts at the top of the strut/shock which secure it to the car. Make sure to use new fasteners when you reinstall everything as they use lock-nuts and they have a limited lifespan after a few torque sequences.
Here are some pics for an example. I got bunch more of assorted suspension component work if you need too.

Thanks. I have spring compressors and will try to follow your advice.

Can’t wait to have mine as refreshed as yours. It looks great.

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby blbroo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:35 am

Newest addition, Bluetooth music, handsfree phone and an aux plugin. The sound quality is really good, and seems a lot better than just the fm receiver.

$15 from amazon

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby IslandRinger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:47 pm

blbroo wrote:Newest addition, Bluetooth music, handsfree phone and an aux plugin. The sound quality is really good, and seems a lot better than just the fm receiver.

$15 from amazon

This is brilliant! I was planning on installing an auxilliary input jack but this seems like a much easier option! If you wouldn't mind, I would love to get a pic/video of this thing in operation. Might snag one for my car! :ty:
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby blbroo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 am

@islandringer

Sure, I can use another phone to record it being used. I listened to it on my way to work today and the sound quality is 100X better than the stock alone.

Accomplished yesterday:

H&R 29800 front springs installed
New front lower control arms
Found that the front exhaust hanger (the one with the spring) wasn't hooked up. Fastening this in fixed my drone completely.

It's like an entirely different car, and I still have the rear to do and the koni shocks to install. Realized that I didn't have all the parts needed to switch from Bilstein to Koni, but swapping the inserts is cake.

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby IslandRinger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 am

blbroo wrote:@islandringer

Sure, I can use another phone to record it being used. I listened to it on my way to work today and the sound quality is 100X better than the stock alone.

Accomplished yesterday:

H&R 29800 front springs installed
New front lower control arms
Found that the front exhaust hanger (the one with the spring) wasn't hooked up. Fastening this in fixed my drone completely.

It's like an entirely different car, and I still have the rear to do and the koni shocks to install. Realized that I didn't have all the parts needed to switch from Bilstein to Koni, but swapping the inserts is cake.
Right on! Definitely made a huge difference for me as well. Ride is a little stiffer but I'm totally ok with that.

Keep it up!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby blbroo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 am

chaloux wrote:Oh, sorry. I meant that "Marcel is me old man," as in, he's my dad. Hahaha. But yes I remember him going down to my sister's with a bunch of stuff just before Christmas. Or after Christmas? I can't remember now. Always great to see it go to forum members!

AH, crap. My bad.

Yeah, he was down just after Christmas.

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby blbroo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Complete part list breakdown for C4s.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11o6kXf ... EjBJ4/view

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby blbroo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 pm

It’s becoming an obsession

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby TCombs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 pm

I also picked one up, or should I say 4?? haha
1994 Audi URS4 Emerald Green
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby blbroo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:21 am

TCombs wrote:I also picked one up, or should I say 4?? haha

I wish I had thought of buying more than one.

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby TCombs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:03 am

blbroo wrote:
TCombs wrote:I also picked one up, or should I say 4?? haha

I wish I had thought of buying more than one.

They are awesome shirts, and I didn't know the next time something like that would be available.
1994 Audi URS4 Emerald Green
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby blbroo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Bought something that I can drive when the S6 is up on stands for upgrades and updates. I’ve got a big pile of new parts and can’t get them on fast with it as my only daily.

First auto I’ve had in 13 years.

ImageImage

At least, I think that I bought it for me.

Last edited by blbroo on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby blbroo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:17 pm

My 13 year old driving a car ten years older than her.

She’s found it more interesting to drive than the 6MT A4 I recently sold. Solid genes.

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Postby blbroo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Finally finished the last corner of the suspension work. New springs, shocks and some control arms.

I’m liking the height, and even more so, the lack of creaking and clanking. Rides great, too

Current:
1995 urS6

Past:
2010 A4
2006 Acura TL
blbroo

Return to Projects