eS2 evolution

Document and share your build!

eS2 evolution

Postby Fbatwork » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:05 pm

It's time to start a thread on my project... This is one of two Coupes that I currently have, I purchased Afterthoughts Coupe with the intent of combining parts from both cars and ending up with black rather than white. Ultimately I decided that the slightly stiffer chassis of the 91 was my preference over the colour. I was able to sort Afterthoughts cooling issue and I will likely be putting it up for sale in the spring as I need the space…

My white car is one of the original eS2 builds, and certainly well documented. Started with this...

http://www.20v.org/s2/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did a little digging and found the original builder of the car... long story short he still had a full box of photos and documentation from the build. Very interesting looking at the effort that went into collecting the right info and then executing the build. Keep in mind that the internet was still developing and there was nowhere near the information that is readily available now. There were a few more things that went were done to the car beyond what is shown on the site. 01E 6 spd, brakes, rims…
So now on to the scope creep. Started out that I was just going to install a GT 3071, intake, header and exhaust, then a leaky head gasket and transmission 1/2 shift issues. To say the least the plan has changed. I still have a few minor things (hopefully minor) to sort out / make decisions on.
As anyone that has ever been under the dash knows there is the potential for many sleepless nights lurking under the dash. Not unlike any other Audi of this era there were a few intermittent electrical issues. Seats would stop working, battery would be dead after sitting for a night, windows, occasionally the blower motor would come on, or not and then the biggest pain was the fuel pump stopping. The wiring job that was done during the conversion was very good, the only way to tell that it is not a factory loom is because a red friction tape was used on everything related to the ECU. I think the gremlins are related to the electrical connectors age but can't say for certain. After some digging I decided that I neither have the time or patience to try to resolve the electrical issues. Installing an aftermarket ECU and separate fuel pump circuit would make it less likely that I didn’t find myself sitting at the side of the road waiting for the demons to leave, but… I decided that I would install an Infinity Box Can Bus wiring system… there are a few things that I need to integrate from the factory wiring but I am confident that won’t be as challenging. Obviously, the system isn’t cheap but I felt that my time is precious and that in the long term it was money well spent.
I won’t dive into the details on my parts list but will throw up pictures as I go along…
- FRP built engine (Big thanks to Jeff for all of his guidance / assistance with this)
- Upgraded fuel system
- Dual disc clutch
- Some Iroz and 034 parts
- Rear brake upgrade
- Rewire as mentioned
- Advanced Automotion tranny – RS4 FDP gearbox. I liked this gear boxes RPM drop… other than of course 1-2…
o After 1st Shift: 4,320 RPM. 46.00 % RPM Drop
o After 2nd Shift: 5,206 RPM. 34.92 % RPM Drop
o After 3rd Shift: 6,289 RPM. 21.38 % RPM Drop
o After 4th Shift: 6,668 RPM. 16.65 % RPM Drop
o After 5th Shift: 6,789 RPM. 15.14 % RPM Drop

o 1st Gear is 41.38 MPH at 8000 RPM
o 2nd Gear is 76.63 MPH at 8000 RPM
o 3rd Gear is 117.75 MPH at 8000 RPM
o 4th Gear is 149.77 MPH at 8000 RPM
o 5th Gear is 179.69 MPH at 8000 RPM
o 6th Gear is 211.74 MPH at 8000 RPM1

Seems like I have way more boxes stashed than this but these are the core components…
I’m going to need to decide what I am doing with some of the stock parts, RS2 Airbox, exhaust manifold etc, need to double check but I think it is an K26 7200 (RS2 turbo)…

Did the Lizard Skin noise and heat treatment... cleaning up the engine bay before I start putting stuff back together (wiring first).
Fbatwork

Re: eS2 scope creep

Postby Fbatwork » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 pm

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fbatwork

Postby Fbatwork » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:14 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fbatwork

Postby Fbatwork » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:16 pm

ImageImage

Fbatwork

Postby Afterthought » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:13 am

Man it looks so good in there . What is that tool that you used to clean the crap off the inside floor with? I’m getting ready to clean the undercoating from one of mine and trying to find the best tool.
Afterthought

1983 UrQuattro - http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1819&p=72513#p72513
1983 Ur Quattro Amazon Blue / Zebra MC
GMC 2500HD
Afterthought

Postby Fbatwork » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:27 am

It's an oscillating tool - primarily for wood work, I have the corded Bosch unit and a cordless Milwaukee. I've had mine for years - mostly for working on cabinets, hardwood floors etc. they work fantastic. There are lots of different manufactures but I would recommend spending a little more and buying a better quality due to the pressure you put on the head when removing the noise barrier crap. There are lots of attachments, I used about 3 different ones, the most effective one is made by Bosch - you can see it on the picture below on the Milwaukee. I haven't decided but I will likely do the tunnel with the ceramic coating and get rid of the factory heatshield...
Fbatwork

Postby Fbatwork » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:28 am

Fbatwork

Postby Fbatwork » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:30 am

I didn't track my time but it likely took about 8-10 hours including using lacquer thinner to get all the little bits off... then a sand, prime the bare metal, mask and then sprayed over 4 days (a day per coat)
Fbatwork

Postby Fbatwork » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:53 am

Jesus you would think I could capture my thoughts in one post... another good tip is to use tin foil on oddly shaped things - buy the heavy foil and use care when wrapping stuff...
Fbatwork

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby PRY4SNO » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:00 pm

So many things to like in your posts!

Those CF door sills are awesome... aronmatic2/CarbonDesign off S2F?

The Lizard Skin looks awesome! I'll likely go that route when I do that job. How does it compare to DynaMat, sound wise?

Would be nice to see a post about the Infinity Box, looks like a powerful unit.

That link to the 20v.org build is epic. Dates back to '98, when they were not only innovators in the eS2 realm, but across the entire web. lol Nice spin down memory lane.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby Fbatwork » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:32 pm

The CF door sills were part of the “parts” pile that I got when I picked it up, there are also b pillar carbon fiber covers on the car as well.

The Lizardskin is very good - especially when combined with the ceramic heat control, 2 coats of noise and 2 coats of ceramic, it works very well.

I will keep posting as I wire on the Infinity box but have a look through there website as well - by far the most versatile wiring system that I have found - I went with pretty much every option except for the environment control - taking my heater core in to see if there is anything that can be done with the plastic top... sooo much work to pull it out

https://infinitybox.com

The box of stuff that I received was even better - every photo, the original owners manual, stereo etc... the car was very well sorted other than the few wiring gremlins.
Fbatwork

Postby Fbatwork » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Half the forest in the heater box... switching it over to manual controls...
ImageImage

And all the initials on the assembly line.

Fbatwork

Postby FFF » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:44 pm

I had Marc port this over from MG.

I know most have dropped the bomb and moved to vac assisted brakes but I am seriously considering going with a electric power steering pump and possibly a modern accumulator... the Mini Cooper (up until 2008) has a unit that runs pentosin and a remote reservoir. Downside is 100 amp fuse and failures due to heat.. Volvo has a pump as well but reservoir is attached. Does anyone have any experience / feedback?

FFF

Postby PRY4SNO » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:43 pm

Maybe look into what they did with older BMWs. I know guys who swap out the vac assist for hydraulic because it doesn't fade as much on the track. Think they used e39 parts in an e30.

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby FFF » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Will do thanks for the suggestion. Was looking at the electric setup to get rid of the parasitic loss and make some space up front.

FFF

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Has anyone found a good solution to the foam inside the airbox. I’m converting to manual controls and have everything pulled apart... the foam is done!

Also looking for the clip that holds cable onto box.
Broken one I’m sure I’ll be able to rig something up if not.

Good one

FFF

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Has anyone found a good solution to the foam inside the airbox. I’m converting to manual controls and have everything pulled apart... the foam is done!

Also looking for the clip that holds cable onto box.
Broken one I’m sure I’ll be able to rig something up if not.

Good one

FFF

Postby Weber » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:41 pm

FFF wrote:Has anyone found a good solution to the foam inside the airbox. I’m converting to manual controls and have everything pulled apart... the foam is done!

I used a nice dense 3/16 felt from McMaster Carr and some high temp adhesive. I did a bit of destructive testing on the glued felt, I think don’t think it will be coming apart anytime soon.

Weber

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Weber wrote:
FFF wrote:Has anyone found a good solution to the foam inside the airbox. I’m converting to manual controls and have everything pulled apart... the foam is done!

I used a nice dense 3/16 felt from McMaster Carr and some high temp adhesive. I did a bit of destructive testing on the glued felt, I think don’t think it will be coming apart anytime soon.

I’ll have a look thanks.

FFF

eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Okay so ended up going with some high temp silicone foam from McMaster-Carr. Part# 1059N269
Completely disassembled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF

Postby FFF » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Foam applied.

FFF

Postby PRY4SNO » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Damnit, now I have to do that too.

Did you get from Princess Auto or actually from McMaster Carr? If from PA, do you have a part number / SKU?

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby FFF » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 pm

Got it from McMaster Carr part number 1059N269.... I got sick of looking for something that was equivalent and was kind of stalled with running wire until I get the heater box. It wasn’t that bad to take apart (and I had to take it apart to convert to RS2 controls instead of vacuum).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
FFF

Postby FFF » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Assembled...

FFF

Postby FFF » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Spent some time today prepping for wiring. Shrink wrapped what stuff is so that it is easier when working on/in the car. I think all of this tedious work will speed things up when I actually start!

And my helper... not really, but he likes hanging out in the car.

FFF

Next

Return to Projects