Pat's S4... hundred? grocery getter

Document and share your build!

Pat's S4... hundred? grocery getter

Postby Lilgreydentwagen » Sun May 13, 2018 12:08 am

I bought this 100 wagon in July last year. It was cheap, very dirty and full of water. P.O. told me the trans module had gotten some water damage so I figured, hey easy fix. New module and we're golden. Yeah. Nope. I bought a basket case. The interior was garbage from the world go. Someone had PAINTED the seats ecru. Brushed on. Not sprayed. They used a goddamn brush. The driver's seat was broken, so I had to take it apart to remove it. The carpet was green with algae, the headliner was held up with staples, When I took the passenger seat out the carpet moved like a waterbed when I pushed on it, and finally, when I got the carpet out I found the ecu... looked like someone dipped the poor thing in sulphuric acid, wire harness and all. I was gonna swap it anyways but I hoped I could at least put around in it for a few months. So it's been sitting here in my yard sinking into the grass while I figure out what I need to do. Then things just started falling in my lap. First I picked up an s4 for the drivetrain. That came with an rs2 tune and injectors, and 3 inch exhaust. It too became a collector of pine needles and random things until a few weeks ago I get a message from my buddy Jeremy with a link for a black a6 wagon on craigslist. Since then my yard, sheds and tiny workshop have been pure chaos. We're literally stripping 3 cars in my driveway but damn it's fun. Anyways. Some pics.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
"A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster."
-Jeremy Clarkson-
Lilgreydentwagen

Re: Pat's S4... hundred? grocery getter

Postby FFF » Sun May 13, 2018 8:48 am

Big project! Keep it rolling with updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
FFF

Postby Lilgreydentwagen » Sun May 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Got the 2.8 out of the 100 today against my wife's instructions to "take it easy." I have a guy that wants to buy it and he only has a couple day window to pick it up. I've never pulled two engines in a weekend
I'm just glad my buddy was over to help yesterday and that my teenage son is as enthusiastic about this as I am. My "shop" is filling up fast.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
"A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster."
-Jeremy Clarkson-
Lilgreydentwagen

Postby Lilgreydentwagen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:39 pm

Been getting more done a little at a time. This project is turning into a huge masochistic shit show. But we're getting it done. I don't remember how many miles are on this thing, but it is crusty. I had to pull the entire chassis harness because all the connectors are corroded and the wires were musty and slimy. I figure with the two parts cars I'll have everything working nicely. I didn't expect that V6 exhaust to weigh so damn much. ImageImageImageImage

-Jeremy Clarkson-
Lilgreydentwagen

Postby Lilgreydentwagen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Just out of curiosity, I have an rs2 chipped ECU with injectors, the p.o. of the donor car pulled the mani and turbo and put the stock parts back on it. I'm thinking crazy thoughts because I have a k26 ith a #6 hotside that's been collecting spiders and dust for 10 years and an hx35 I've been itching to put in something. (I was gonna put it in my fox, but I might be going flat out mental for that car.) Does anyone know if the rs2 electronics would run right with that big ass compressor? I figure the extra hugeness of the compressor housing would be quite a difference in airflow, but would the computer compensate for the extra flow? I guess I can get someone to program me a chip down the road but right now money is a bit tight. ImageImageImage

-Jeremy Clarkson-
Lilgreydentwagen

Postby speedydtp247 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 pm

So your swapping in the engine and whole drivetrain from the UrS4 into the 100 avant? What's your plan with the A6 avant? Also is that a pearl UrS6 avant that I see?
speedydtp247

Postby Lilgreydentwagen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:14 am

speedydtp247 wrote:So your swapping in the engine and whole drivetrain from the UrS4 into the 100 avant? What's your plan with the A6 avant? Also is that a pearl UrS6 avant that I see?
Yes. Everything is going into the 100. I'd fix the a6 instead, but it's banana shaped from being rearended and has a scrap title. The pearl s6 belonged to the p.o. of the donor urs4. He sold it a couple months ago.

-Jeremy Clarkson-
Lilgreydentwagen

Postby vt10vt » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Lilgreydentwagen wrote:Just out of curiosity, I have an rs2 chipped ECU with injectors, the p.o. of the donor car pulled the mani and turbo and put the stock parts back on it. I'm thinking crazy thoughts because I have a k26 ith a #6 hotside that's been collecting spiders and dust for 10 years and an hx35 I've been itching to put in something. (I was gonna put it in my fox, but I might be going flat out mental for that car.) Does anyone know if the rs2 electronics would run right with that big ass compressor?

Check with Marc of EFI Express, I think he's tuned a couple K26/HX35s and might have an off the shelf option for you.

If you really have to run it with the RS2 software I'd get a wideband and a manual boost controller, find out where it starts leaning out a bit and back it off a couple pounds. I bet it would still be good for 15psi. Not the "right" or "safe" way but...
-Shawn C.
2001 S4 6spd Avant blk/blk - stock daily
2002 01E B6 A4 Built FYF, Built 1.8T, HX35 ~330whp
1989 MC-1 200 Avant- MS1 -Gone but will never forget her lessons
1987 5ktq Sedan - Best $500 beater ever
vt10vt

Postby Lilgreydentwagen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:55 pm

That's a pretty good idea. I have an LC1 stashed away already. I read the limit of the rs2 injectors is around 320-340 CHP... I'm probably over thinking this because I'm pretty sure by the time I get everything ready I'll be able to afford the chip, injectors and rods.

-Jeremy Clarkson-
Lilgreydentwagen

Return to Projects