Jim Green's 90q 20vt - 636whp 07k

Document and share your build!

Re: Jim Green's 90q 20vt - 636whp 07k

Postby 85oceanic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:37 am

audifreakjim wrote:I've solved the problem by switching to Evan's water-less coolant. The problem with my setup is the electric water pump is not constant flow. This would lead to hot spots in the head when I would hit boost and the pump wasn't flowing, or flowing enough and flash boil the coolant. Jeff Gerner had to switch to this on his top speed car as well.

The stuff is amazing, The EPS Pikes peak car ran the last half of the course without a water pump, 180C coolant temps, and still finished with a good time and without incident. They just pulled the motor for inspection, but it still ran fine. The only thing cooling the car was the massive oil cooler.

After seeing this, I was sold. Plus it barely pressurizes the system so it's not as hard on the hoses and less likely to burst all over the place.

HOLY CRAP. I am going to get this stuff, looks awesome!
-Ben-
-1985 Audi 4kq: Xona 7164 AAN 488whp- -2009 Audi A4 -
85oceanic

Postby audifreakjim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 am

Afterthought wrote:
audifreakjim wrote:I've solved the problem by switching to Evan's water-less coolant. The problem with my setup is the electric water pump is not constant flow. This would lead to hot spots in the head when I would hit boost and the pump wasn't flowing, or flowing enough and flash boil the coolant. Jeff Gerner had to switch to this on his top speed car as well.

The stuff is amazing, The EPS Pikes peak car ran the last half of the course without a water pump, 180C coolant temps, and still finished with a good time and without incident. They just pulled the motor for inspection, but it still ran fine. The only thing cooling the car was the massive oil cooler.

After seeing this, I was sold. Plus it barely pressurizes the system so it's not as hard on the hoses and less likely to burst all over the place.

That eps car is a work of art ! Have you seen the oil pan they made? well, and the rest of the car .
It’s crazy that they ran that long without a pump without some sort of major meltdown, it seems like they’ve been putting that engine to the test.

On the water pump I wonder if there is a way to have it just constantly circulate some small amount . You’d think there would be some sort of natural thermosiphon effect that would keep the hotter water moving toward the cooler area .

I've tried forcing the controller to a lower setpoint to kick the pump on constantly but was still seeing it happen from time to time. The old setup with the big BMW water pump on full blast all the time worked well, but it was prone to failure.

I'm happy where it is now. The coolant is expensive, but the setup works well.
audifreakjim

Postby ringbearer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 pm

I've been running the Evans for 6 years or so and it has been great. I really like having no cooling system pressure, plastic bits last longer and my silicone coolant hoses don't weep! Glad it is working for you too :)
ringbearer

Previous

Return to Projects