An Alpine URQ in Utah - Knee deep in Swarf

Document and share your build!

An Alpine URQ in Utah - Knee deep in Swarf

Postby Wheeljack » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:34 pm

Nov. 2012:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Original Posting Content Below>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I picked this Ur Quattro up last year. I had been looking for a while, and this deal just happened to work out smoothly. It happened to come up during my periodic searches...Houston Craigslist listing (first listing)...

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?p=428779#p428779

"For Sale by Owned, 1983 Audi Ur-Quattro with only 72,XXX miles and in very good condition! 6000obo.

Estimated (1-70) left in the United States! This car was used by Audi in the early 80s and dominated the Rally Circuit up untill it was banned for being too amazing. (no joke, it dominated every single vehicle that was in competition with it.... oh lets face it there was no competition for this state of the art car back then) It is All-Wheeled Drive with power windows and doors, and even a differential control knob located on the INSIDE of the car!

The car has very little rust on the body and undercarrige of the car. Interior is in pretty good shape too, only a couple minor cracks in the dash, no rips in the leather seats. The car is white will a little over/under 76,000 miles (I mean by hundreds, not thousands, there is less than 73k on the odometer right now) It DOES NOT run. Back seat/stereo/speakers were all stolen some time ago. The car has been sitting for the better part of 8 years but before myself there was only 1 owner and it was regularly serviced by Audi and ran flawlessly untill he had to park it. The car needs alot of attention and money than I can give it. As far as I know it needs a FULL fluid and gasoline flush and a new battery and it should fire right up. Here's your chance to own a really rare, historical and all original piece of rallying history!

Email me for pictures of any part of the car you would like to see (undercarrige is going to be tricky seeing as I lack a car lift)
and I will try my hardest to get the angle/shot you desire. My email is XXX
6000obo, NO TRADES, CASH ONLY!!"

6K was too much, but it was listed about a week or two later for 4K. Then the negotiations began and it ended up on a truck to SLC.

So, I had the car shipped from Houston, TX to SLC, UT. It was not running, but very complete and with virtually no rust. It also happened to be my favorite urq color-Alpine White. It supposedly had been sitting for about 8 years.

I spent a few hours at some point last summer cleaning it up a bit…

At first, the plan was to just give it a minor restoration and get it running on the 10V. The condition was unknown, but didn’t take long before to realize the bottom end was seized up. I was still on the 10V train of thought as I started to tear into the engine bay…A few hours later, the 10V was no longer a consideration as there was no way I wanted to work in an engine bay with CIS and 10V.

So, a built 20V it is. The goal for the car is a clean update (fuse box, updated interior, all new wiring), about 500whp backed by an 01E, AC with newer components, 2 piece suspension with coilovers all around. That’s about it. Focus on reliability and maintainability by upgrading from many of the NLA related problems.

Oh, I may tuck the bumpers and such. I have enough large shelving around. That was open air transport dirtiness all over the place.

I have spent the last year and a half since I picked this thing up planning and gathering pieces. I am finally to the point, with the eS2 mostly wrapped up, where I can start to move this thing forward.

Part of the parts gathering was picking up an AAN longblock. There are obviously a few ways to build a 20VT, and this was my choice to start. I have a whole 7A as well to utilize from the CQ, as it was replaced by the 3B.
Pulling apart the long block to begin the build-up showed a few issues. The AAN head was badly cracked around the plug holes. About 7 threads deep on that one shown; maybe fixable, but for now it is a spare on the shelf.

That is a chance you take when picking up a turbo head—luckily I had a backup plan. The 7A head will now get some love.

Fits like a glove…

The next thing is to move the car into the garage and pull all of the running gear off. Then I can clean up the shell and start moving forward on getting the suspension built up and test fitting for the motor and tranny installation. There is also a bit of wiring to do…
The Projects: eS2 Coupe /// ur quattro /// urS4 /// Diesel Vanagon
http://brydon-eng.com
Wheeljack

Re: An American URQ in Utah - The Beginning

Postby fasterthenrs2 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:52 pm

nice project luv te machining vid
fasterthenrs2

Postby Hank » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Had I known this was going down, I would have brought over a couple of heads! Looks nice Chris! I am amped for the perfection to begin!
Hank

Postby Quattro v1.0 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:26 pm

ShavedQuattro wrote:Had I known this was going down, I would have brought over a couple of heads! Looks nice Chris! I am amped for the perfection to begin!

I woulda sent one up as well!

All projects need a deadline - when are you shooting for?
Quattro v1.0

Postby Mentosman42 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:33 pm

I think 2012 is going to be the year of the 20v URQ

car looks great and a great setup there
95.5 ur-S6
83 20vt urQ
Mentosman42

Postby 84urq20v » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Nice, Chris! Obviously you have the means to not have to deal with it - but when I did my conversion the 3B head had cracks like that. Had them drilled out, refilled - been running the head for 35,000 miles....

Looking forward to watching this one.
84urq20v

Postby Quattro v1.0 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Mentosman42 wrote:I think 2012 is going to be the year of the 20v URQ

I think there is some truth to that!
8)
Quattro v1.0

Postby Wheeljack » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:27 pm

I was thinking BBQ 2012, unless I can make it to Pikes Peak.
Wheeljack

Postby Wheeljack » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:33 pm

84urq20v wrote:Nice, Chris! Obviously you have the means to not have to deal with it - but when I did my conversion the 3B head had cracks like that. Had them drilled out, refilled - been running the head for 35,000 miles....

It's good to know the other options out there. 20v heads are going to get scarce, so people will need to start fixing more of them. My 3b head had some minor cracking, but nothing like this one. How was it filled? I've heard of welding, if a valve job was to follow...
Wheeljack

Postby quattro87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Nice Chris!! I was wondering if we were going to get a project page going on this build or not. I'm glad to see it going. I too would have brought a few heads to machine.....seems ashamed to have a one off program and not use it a few more times. Don't toss the program. :-) I also like the white on the Urq, but you do realize that red is faster don't you? LOL Pikes peak huh? That would be way cool. I wonder if mine will be running by then.
quattro87

Postby Wheeljack » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 pm

quattro87 wrote:Nice Chris!! I was wondering if we were going to get a project page going on this build or not. I'm glad to see it going. I too would have brought a few heads to machine.....seems ashamed to have a one off program and not use it a few more times. Don't toss the program. :-) I also like the white on the Urq, but you do realize that red is faster don't you? LOL Pikes peak huh? That would be way cool. I wonder if mine will be running by then.

lets see these heads!! It WOULD be a shame, no?

and are you really trying to tell me your red cars are faster? That is a good one :lol:

I'd say they are ALL pretty damn slow right now!
Wheeljack

Postby quattro87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:41 pm

I've got a few 7a heads kicking around the garage....just had to hide them from prying eyes at Battle Born.

I guess I stepped into that one with the red being faster statement. I'd settle for a slow red car at this point....oh wait I guess I have three already. :(
quattro87

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:59 pm

quattro v1.0 wrote:[/quote]
ShavedQuattro wrote:Had I known this was going down, I would have brought over a couple of heads! Looks nice Chris! I am amped for the perfection to begin!

I woulda sent one up as well![/quote]
lol i would have brought 1 as well...

glad you got a project thread started, now we can harass you and keep you going!
Dave

Postby Mcstiff » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:18 am

cbrydon wrote:I was thinking BBQ 2012, unless I can make it to Pikes Peak.

Pikes Peak could be fun (though 100% paved), Val Ivanitski will be running his V8 B5A4 again.
Mcstiff

An American URQ in Utah - The Beginning

Postby nsimps » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Awesome Chris! I would leave it white because although red gets more attention, it gEts more attention ;) I don't have any heads to add to the list, need to graduate to that level of spare parts.
nsimps

Postby 84urq20v » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:57 pm

cbrydon wrote:
84urq20v wrote:Nice, Chris! Obviously you have the means to not have to deal with it - but when I did my conversion the 3B head had cracks like that. Had them drilled out, refilled - been running the head for 35,000 miles....

It's good to know the other options out there. 20v heads are going to get scarce, so people will need to start fixing more of them. My 3b head had some minor cracking, but nothing like this one. How was it filled? I've heard of welding, if a valve job was to follow...

Sorry I don't know the specifics - I was referred to a guy in Colorado Springs - he drilled out the cracked area and filled it back in - then yes I had a full valve job done....

I assume it's still good - have never had the head off in the 8+ yrs since the conversion....
84urq20v

Postby Wheeljack » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:05 pm

nsimps wrote:Awesome Chris! I would leave it white because although red gets more attention, it gEts more attention ;) I don't have any heads to add to the list, need to graduate to that level of spare parts.

Stop by sometime, Nick. You can grab Johnny's parts and take the eS2 out for a spin. And maybe we can even run the codes on your car.

I'd offer use of the lift, too, but I have a feeling something else is going to be hogging it up all winter long...

And just because everyone likes more pictures...pretty rust free underneath

Wheeljack

Postby quattro87 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Wooooh!!! Do you have to wear gloves to work on that? It looks like you have had a bit of an oil leak that is making things messy!! You may want to try spinning a filter back on and take care of that leak before cleaning things up. :wink:

In all seriousness, it does look pretty clean and rust free. Looks like a Texas car as opposed to my Wisconsin car. :(
quattro87

Postby ralleyquattro » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Very nice, wish they were all this nice and rust free, looking forward to updates!!
Martin Pajak

http://www.quattro.ca

82 Audi Ur-q, SQ project
83 Audi 80 q, Euro 2-Door
85 Audi Ur-q, Euro mit 3B
91 Coupe Quattro
93 Audi 80 q Avant, 2.5 TDI with 6-speed
04 Audi A4 1.8Tq Avant USP 6-speed
04 Audi A4 3.0q Avant USP 6-speed
ralleyquattro

Postby URQ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:09 pm

It is for me :-)
URQ

Postby chris.miller » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:39 pm

URQ wrote:

It is for me :-)

Me too.
chris.miller

Postby Wheeljack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Got a new image to put in one of the frames in my office. I seem to be easily distracted this week.

*Many thanks goes to Roger on quattroworld for supplying the source image.
Wheeljack

Postby PRY4SNO » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:45 pm

^^^ LOVE the pic!! Would kill for one of my own, B3 Cq of course :P

Great machine-work video, not only was the song an apt choice but one of my favourites from way back!

Keep up the good work, as always I'll be looking forward to your posts.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby 4v6 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Nice project Chris, aint she sweet?
Youre doing pretty much the same as i am only without the welding.:)
Interesting milling idea too!
4v6

Next

Return to Projects