Dace's '94 //s4 - Now For Sale!

Document and share your build!

Re: Re: Dace's '94 //s4-Technology makes a better snail...

Postby UrSobsessed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 pm

It's not capped to atmosphere. Just to the intake.
UrSobsessed

Postby PRA4WX » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 pm

UrSobsessed wrote:Ross pistons. 83mm.

The turbo is getting pulled to look closer into that part but I can't imagine how that could be the cause with so few mikes on it

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but there would be VERY strong evidence of that kind of oil exiting the turbo such that it wouldn't necessitate pulling the turbo for inspection......?
PRA4WX

Postby rogermoz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Correct if that much oil was going through the turbo you'd see black smoke and smell burning oil. Any oil in your coolant or milkshake looking stuff on your oil fill cap?
rogermoz

Postby ringbearer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Any smoke coming out of he oil fill cap when it's off?
ringbearer

Postby seiche » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:11 pm

How is the coolant doing?
seiche

Postby UrSobsessed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:00 pm

The oil has no milky badness. It's not losing coolant and it looks fine.

There's no evidence of the oil in the exhaust, at least in the tail pipe. It's a bit sooty back there from running a bit rich at idle. Losing 1qt in 1k miles is quite a bit so it should be evident in the intake or exhaust, which it's not. I was thinking it was getting pulled up past the rings and burning off. According to the oil analysis that was done, the oil was "within normal parameters". Whatever those are. I assume if the oil is getting past the rings, then fuel or exhaust gasses would be getting into the crankcase and contaminating the oil, which would show up on those tests.
UrSobsessed

Postby Hank » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:07 pm

IF it was rings, it would show up in leak down. I bet turbo.
Hank

Postby UrSobsessed » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 am

Turbo seems to be the consensus. That's what Dave has been thinking also. What would cause turbo seals to go out in 25k mi.?
UrSobsessed

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Heat and cooling cycles?
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby chaloux » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Also... updates?
Matt

01 Allroad 6speed - RS4 clutch, catless downpipes, stuklr tune
04 Jetta TDI - DC stage I clutch/14lb fw
DEATH by rust - 96 Audi A6 Avant 2.5l TDI
GONE :( 87 4ktq - 4 FOX SNAKES
DEAD :( - 1996 S6 mit TDI
chaloux

Re: Dace's '94 //s4-Technology makes a better snail...

Postby UrSobsessed » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:43 am

Ok, so now that I got this thread moved over here(thanks Marc!), I will(hopefully) be a little better with updates! Maybe. ;)

Anyway, the car has been running well, but I haven't been driving it much because winter and also the oil consumption has NOT improved with the new seals in the turbo (see this thread: http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=463). After talking with Dave at S-Line Motorsport more about it, he has built another bottom end for me to replace mine. At this point, I'm waiting for him to work through a back log of jobs that have piled up since he was put on IR for about 3 or 4 months. Also, he's decided to shut his business down, so people who are paying are first priority right now. He's just got back to working mostly full weeks, so hopefully sometime next month...

SO, in the meanwhile, I've decided to help with the breathability of 'ol Hungry. I contacted Hank about a few bits and pieces and am eagerly awaiting their arrival! :) Once that phase of work begins, I'll be posting more. I'm also looking into getting knock set up in VEMS. It appears that they have a working solution for it in some of the latest FW versions. That one is something I really want to get working for safety so we'll see how that goes...
UrSobsessed

Postby chaloux » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Uh oh, what's hap gonna do! Crazy that Dave's shutting down but gotta take care of yourself first right.

And hey, spill the beans on the hankenstein parts!
Matt

01 Allroad 6speed - RS4 clutch, catless downpipes, stuklr tune
04 Jetta TDI - DC stage I clutch/14lb fw
DEATH by rust - 96 Audi A6 Avant 2.5l TDI
GONE :( 87 4ktq - 4 FOX SNAKES
DEAD :( - 1996 S6 mit TDI
chaloux

Postby mushasho » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:22 pm

UrSobsessed wrote: I'm also looking into getting knock set up in VEMS. It appears that they have a working solution for it in some of the latest FW versions. That one is something I really want to get working for safety so we'll see how that goes...

I asked about it and was asked to refrain from upgrading until further testing was done....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
mushasho

Postby UrSobsessed » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:37 pm

mushasho wrote:
UrSobsessed wrote: I'm also looking into getting knock set up in VEMS. It appears that they have a working solution for it in some of the latest FW versions. That one is something I really want to get working for safety so we'll see how that goes...

I asked about it and was asked to refrain from upgrading until further testing was done....

How long ago was that, and who did you ask? When I asked about it, I didn't get any hold off warning. But that was through the vemssupport forum.
Last edited by UrSobsessed on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UrSobsessed

Postby UrSobsessed » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:53 pm

chaloux wrote:Uh oh, what's hap gonna do! Crazy that Dave's shutting down but gotta take care of yourself first right.

And hey, spill the beans on the hankenstein parts!

Hap's prolly got Dave on retainer for eternity...

Well, what with oversized valves and increased displacement, 'ol hungry needs to breathe better. A Hankenstein IM will help get more air in there. Since there's more air in there, well, it gotta get out right? His Hankness is meeting the needs with one of his tasty EM's. That's gonna have a ss .82 housing v-banded to it. Then, there's the all Hanked up downpipe. The EM and DP are getting some Swain-o-liciousness. Enough of the cheapo cermic coatings that I was getting locally. Those liked to flake prematurely. A TiAl WG will be dumping exhaust pressure. The exhaust side of things is just like Ed's setup on his car, with a much lesser turbo.

I can't wait to get this stuff going. I'm just waiting for delivery...
UrSobsessed

Postby Marc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:06 pm

UrSobsessed wrote:
mushasho wrote:

How long ago was that, and who did you ask? When I asked about it, I didn't get any hold off warning. But that was through the vemssupport forum.

I told him that.

its not really a 'warning'. just that I haven't done a lot of testing on it yet. feel free to play, just dont expect a lot of support from me on it yet because I haven't tested the new features yet and felt out how they work.
Marc Swanson
Proprietor, EFI Express

Marc

Postby UrSobsessed » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Marc wrote:
I told him that.

its not really a 'warning'. just that I haven't done a lot of testing on it yet. feel free to play, just dont expect a lot of support from me on it yet because I haven't tested the new features yet and felt out how they work.

Gotcha. After posting, I figured it was you. Whenever you get into it, will you do testing on the dyno with a listening device to calibrate? I was thinking this would be the safest route once getting it going initially.
UrSobsessed

Re: Dace's '94 //s4-Time to open up the airways a bit...

Postby UrSobsessed » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Up here at 9000 ft. 'ol Hungry needs to breathe a little easier. I gots some Hank bits to put in there(still waiting on the IM, which should be coming soon) and started to pull the old stuff out. A couple of things that struck me as odd were when I pulled the stock IM off, I noticed some oil on all of the runners, some of which were worse than others.
Would incorrect valve timing cause this? I'm running a catch can vented to atmosphere and the intake plumbing to the throttle body is dry as a bone so that rules out the turbo and PCV system. The motor is using oil, which will be handled hopefully sooner than later, which I was thinking might assist in this, but what do you guys think?

Another thing was that all of the EM studs came out with the nuts, except the two seen in the picture. Is that normal or were the studs not tight enough in the head? I've read that they aren't supposed to be tight, only just snugged in. Those copper nuts really put a bite on those studs!

I'll be doing a mock set up so I can do the custom oil/water line intall, along with a custom hard line that goes all the around from the water manifold to the turbo. With the bigger IM, I don't want to have to deal with that short piece of hose that's under there should it leak. I can't wait to get this thing back together and start to get back to tweaking the tune, and perhaps play around with the knock control in VEMS before the new bottom end is put in.
UrSobsessed

Re: Re: Dace's '94 //s4-What type of vacuum hose to use?

Postby UrSobsessed » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:08 pm

So I need some new vacuum hose to fit the larger vacuum ports of the intake. I'm not sure if I should use the thick walled silicone or if there is something that is better to avoid vacuum collapse. I can't say that I've noticed any collapse in mine thus far, but I want it to be as responsive as possible.

Am I over thinking this? What do you guys think?
UrSobsessed

Postby PRY4SNO » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 am

Consensus seems to be -- and someone correct me if I'm wrong -- silicone works fine for vacuum, but not for coolant in which case OEM fares best.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby Marc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:49 am

PRY4SNO wrote:Consensus seems to be -- and someone correct me if I'm wrong -- silicone works fine for vacuum, but not for coolant in which case OEM fares best.

personally we use carburated fuel line for vacuum hose (or, better, instant tube 1/4" DOT air brake line and the associated couplers).
Marc Swanson
Proprietor, EFI Express

Marc

Postby UrSobsessed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Marc wrote:personally we use carburated fuel line for vacuum hose (or, better, instant tube 1/4" DOT air brake line and the associated couplers).

Air brake line? Interesting. Do you use the push lock connectors directly in the manifold?
UrSobsessed

Postby Marc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:48 pm

yep.
Marc Swanson
Proprietor, EFI Express

Marc

Postby amd is the best » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:20 am

I get real high quality silicone vacuum line from here: http://boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=8

I have all sorts of sizes on my car from 3mm to 8mm. Very thick walled and very high quality. Fair pricing too.
Nick

'00 A4 1.8t
'91 200 20v
'91 200 20v Avant
http://www.youtube.com/amdisthebest
amd is the best

Postby UrSobsessed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:11 pm

I've used that stuff before. It is good stuff. I've also used hose from www.siliconeintakes.com, which I think is the same manufacturer. I'm looking for some hard walled stuff for the BOV ref line and also for the ECU and FPR. The rest of the stuff can flex all it wants. I'm thinking about using some Pro-Lite Ultra hose since I have some around. Seems to be nice and sturdy...
UrSobsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Projects