Dace's '94 //s4 - Now For Sale!

Document and share your build!

Re: Re: Dace's '94 //s4-Timesert an EM stud port in the car?

Postby Mcstiff » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:38 am

So it is "good" that the stud is not in there, dealing with that in situ is a pain! I drilled out a stud and installed a threaded insert using a 90 degree drill thing and a "press" attachment from HF. Frankly it was pretty sketchy and I think the insert is a degree or so off but I think it could be done better. If I had to do it again I'd attach the drill guide to a plate that bolted to the head and think about the best way to fix the angle accurately.

Since you are not dealing with a stud, you may be able to step up to the timesert dia using the hole as a guide. I was drilling a fairly large, new, hole:

Mcstiff

Postby UrSobsessed » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:25 pm

The step up idea is a good one. Posto has a jig I might be able to use so I'll see if that can work. If only I had a machine shop at my disposal, I'd make a jig for this kind of thing...
UrSobsessed

Postby UrSobsessed » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:48 am

Mcstiff wrote:So it is "good" that the stud is not in there, dealing with that in situ is a pain! I drilled out a stud and installed a threaded insert using a 90 degree drill thing and a "press" attachment from HF. Frankly it was pretty sketchy and I think the insert is a degree or so off but I think it could be done better. If I had to do it again I'd attach the drill guide to a plate that bolted to the head and think about the best way to fix the angle accurately.

Since you are not dealing with a stud, you may be able to step up to the timesert dia using the hole as a guide. I was drilling a fairly large, new, hole:

Like this one?: http://www.harborfreight.com/angle-drill-guide-95622.html
UrSobsessed

Postby Mcstiff » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Yeah, but it's a bit awkward to hold a drill on, align the 90, push the drill in, and hold the guide while keeping it flush with the head ;) I may have used some bar clamps but I seem to have blocked out the trauma :lol:

I have the 90 and the guide if you want to use them.
Mcstiff

Postby UrSobsessed » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 pm

Ok Ed. Thanks. I'll let you know if I want to give it a try.
UrSobsessed

Re: Dace's '94 //s4 - Now For Sale!

Postby UrSobsessed » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 am

Wow. It's been a long time since I've posted! My car has been in limbo for quite some time while I sorted my bottom end issues. Well, they're sorted now. I finally got a new bottom end in, one that doesn't chug oil. Turns out the old motor had pistons that were too small for the bore and oil rings that fit loosely. :mad: So now what's in there are stock pistons with coated tops and skirts, supertech rods, ARP main and rod bolts and OEM bearings.

While the motor was apart I had the head sent to Jeff in KC to work some magic on it. Turns out, whoever did the work on the head previously did a pretty crappy job on it. Jeff ported the head, put in some inconel exhaust valves, reground the valves, and replaced the exhaust guides, which were supposed to have been replaced before but looked like they had about 150k on them according to Jeff :mad: :mad: .

Anyway, it's back together now and doesn't use oil anymore. So I finally got it tuned! It's currently putting down 402whp/354wtq on 91octane. That's what my goal has been for this car. A daily driveable ride that has some sack. There is room for more power, but I'm good with this for now. The thing runs really well, smooth and powerful.

I'll leave it for the next owner of the car to take it further if they want. That said, I'm putting the car up for sale as I have some other financial needs that take precedence over this car. Bummer for sure but I gotta.

The link to the FS ad is here if anyone is interested: http://forums.quattroworld.com/classifieds-vehicles/msgs/35446.phtml
UrSobsessed

Re: Dace's '94 //s4 - Now For Sale!

Postby UrSobsessed » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:34 am

aaaaaaand, SOLD!
UrSobsessed

Previous

Return to Projects