07K swap into B2 chassis

Transplanting the new VW 5cylinder

07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby urgewalt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 am

Hi all,
I have some questions about a 07K swap into a B2 chassis.
But first I like to introduce myself a bit.

My name is Alex and I'm from Germany (you probably noticed that because of my english skills).
I'm working on Audi cars for now over 25 years (only privatly as a hobby, professionally I'm an IT guy), I owned everything from the B2 line in the past (except a sportquattro which is technically not a B2) and some other quattros like 200 20V and S2 Avant.
I also own the internet forum die-urgewalt.de - a forum especially dedicated to the b2 cars and now running for almost 20 years (the 20 year anniversary is next year).

A couple of years ago, I decided to go another route and bought some classic american cars (in the past 71 Ford Torino, current 71 Dodge Demon 340 and 71 Plymouth GTX) - but to be honest: this cars look great, sound great but drive like shit ...
SO I like to go back to the roots.

OK back to topic:
I'm currently doing some research for a 07K swap in a B2 chassis and I'm not sure if I got everything sorted out ...

To put a 07K engine physically into a B2 chassis I need the following parts:
- Oil filter adapter (http://www.irozmotorsport.com/oil-adapter-07k/)
- Motor mounts (http://www.irozmotorsport.com/07k-2-5l-motor-mounts/)
- Oil pan (http://www.irozmotorsport.com/07k-longitude-oil-pan/)
- Do I need something else ?

To mount a longitudinal transmission I need:
- Flywheel (http://www.irozmotorsport.com/07k-2-5l- ... smissions/)
- Do I need something else like a special starter ?

To convert the engine (if I use a Jetta/Golf engine ...) to turbo I need:
- Exhaust header (http://www.irozmotorsport.com/07k-tube-header/)
- Intake manifold (http://www.irozmotorsport.com/ims-07k-i ... sport-rep/)
Optional:
- Valve cover (http://www.irozmotorsport.com/ims-07k-b ... lve-cover/)
- Connecting rods
- Pistons
- Camshaft(s)
- Did I missed something ?

I know there are more things like wiring harness, ECU, wastegate, turbo ...
Also, I only found these parts as single parts, is there also a kit ?
And is there maybe a more subtle intake manifold like the one mentioned above ?
Last but not least, is the flywheel designed for 6-speed transmissions only ?

Thanks in advance,
Alex
urgewalt
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Dec 10, 2017

Re: 07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby alxdgr8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Besides the parts that are currently made for the swap, it's still a LOT of custom fab work to do an 07k swap. There is no all inclusive kit. You pretty much will need to have a TIG welder or have a friend with one.

You can use a stock starter if you modify the rear timing cover, otherwise Iroz makes a modified starter that works without the modification.

Lots of good stuff in Jim's 07k project thread:
http://forum.irozmotorsport.com/viewtop ... start=2550
Image

You'll need to trim the top two bolts off the bellhousing of the transmission to clear the timing cover.

The 07k engine despite having 5 cylinders, uses a 4 cylinder bellhousing pattern thus only works with transmissions that have the I4 pattern. Most 016's are I5 pattern and won't bolt up to the 07k (unless you can find an I4 quattro 016 there in europe), thus why most everyone uses the 01E (5 or 6spd) which is a dual pattern transmissions so it has bother I4 and I5. Whichever you use, you'll need to modify as stated above.

There have been several different 07k intake manifolds made, but all were custom. The Iroz one is the only advertised, but they can probably make you a simpler one if desired. Or you can fabricate your own. You can buy the Integrated Engineering transverse 07k manifold and chop it up to use the runners and make your own plenum: https://www.performancebyie.com/integra ... e-manifold

You'll also need to figure out what you want to do for a water pump, alternator, and power steering.
-Alex- @vexartmedia on Instagram
1992 Porsche 968 (07K transplant in progress)
1983 Aud UrQ (MC1, GT2871R, IIc)
1986 Audi Coupe GT (7A swap and more)
2003 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood; DD)
User avatar
alxdgr8
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Feb 28, 2013
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: 07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby varia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Awesome info here Alex!

Im gonna save it, whenever somebody post on FB: drop a 07K in it, i will link it.
Thx!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

project 2226
varia
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Mar 18, 2013
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby urgewalt » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 am

alxdgr8 wrote:Besides the parts that are currently made for the swap, it's still a LOT of custom fab work to do an 07k swap. There is no all inclusive kit. You pretty much will need to have a TIG welder or have a friend with one.

Yep, I'm not afraid about this, I have both TIG and MIG welder and I know how to use them (and for materials I'm not so familiar with, I have a friend who can TIG weld about everything).

alxdgr8 wrote:You can use a stock starter if you modify the rear timing cover, otherwise Iroz makes a modified starter that works without the modification.

In this case, I prefer the modified starter.

alxdgr8 wrote:The 07k engine despite having 5 cylinders, uses a 4 cylinder bellhousing pattern thus only works with transmissions that have the I4 pattern. Most 016's are I5 pattern and won't bolt up to the 07k (unless you can find an I4 quattro 016 there in europe), thus why most everyone uses the 01E (5 or 6spd) which is a dual pattern transmissions so it has bother I4 and I5. Whichever you use, you'll need to modify as stated above.

This is an interesting information, I was not aware of this !
We have a lot of 4 cylinder B2/B3 quattros around here in Germany, but I doubt that any of these transmissions can nearly hold so much power ...

alxdgr8 wrote:You'll also need to figure out what you want to do for a water pump, alternator, and power steering.

I plan on going with an electrical power steering pump.
I saw somewhere a bracket for the alternator in place of the a/c compressor. What is special about the water pump ?

Thanks for all the good input !

Alex
urgewalt
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Dec 10, 2017

Re: 07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby alxdgr8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 pm

You just have to figure out a way to drive the water pump, which depends on what accessories you decide to keep.

Stock setup:
Image

Jim went with just alternator (and custom sized pulley to make sure he had charging at idle; some concern of overspeed at 8500rpm but decided it was ok so long as it wasn't sustained)
He's using an electric water pump (BMW?) and electric power steering (MR2 I believe).

Image

Or if you want to keep hydraulic power steering, Iroz makes a kit that uses the 1.8T PS pump and replaces the AC compressor, this then allows you to drive the alternator and waterpump on the jackshaft.
http://www.irozmotorsport.com/07k-power ... onversion/

Image

If you went with electric power steering and ditched AC, then you'd need to figure out a way to drive the alternator and waterpump. Or maybe you could relocate the alternator to where the AC was and use a dual belt pulley to drive the water pump. But I'm not sure if you could get your pulley ratios correct with that route, would need to make some careful calculations.
-Alex- @vexartmedia on Instagram
1992 Porsche 968 (07K transplant in progress)
1983 Aud UrQ (MC1, GT2871R, IIc)
1986 Audi Coupe GT (7A swap and more)
2003 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood; DD)
User avatar
alxdgr8
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Feb 28, 2013
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: 07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby alxdgr8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Depending on clearances, the transverse TFSI intake manifold might be useable. Looks like Dutter Racing used it on their 07k B5 swap. I can't find it right now, but somebody makes (or made) a cast lower intake manifold for the stock TFSI intake that adds injector bungs for traditional fuel injection. Although for this build it looks like they used the Iroz billet intake runner: http://www.irozmotorsport.com/2-5-tfsi- ... g-runners/

Image

Image

Image

Image

They kept AC and then added a power steering pump at the top...which I think came on the stock 07k in beetles? Not all had electric power steering from the factory.

Image

Image
-Alex- @vexartmedia on Instagram
1992 Porsche 968 (07K transplant in progress)
1983 Aud UrQ (MC1, GT2871R, IIc)
1986 Audi Coupe GT (7A swap and more)
2003 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood; DD)
User avatar
alxdgr8
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Feb 28, 2013
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: 07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby audifreakjim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Also, the new 07k in the TTRS and RS3 has single plane accessories. So you might be able simplify your setup by using some of the new parts.
User avatar
audifreakjim
 
Posts: 2045
Joined: Mar 3, 2013

Re: 07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby alxdgr8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:02 pm

audifreakjim wrote:Also, the new 07k in the TTRS and RS3 has single plane accessories. So you might be able simplify your setup by using some of the new parts.


Good to know!
-Alex- @vexartmedia on Instagram
1992 Porsche 968 (07K transplant in progress)
1983 Aud UrQ (MC1, GT2871R, IIc)
1986 Audi Coupe GT (7A swap and more)
2003 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood; DD)
User avatar
alxdgr8
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Feb 28, 2013
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: 07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby urgewalt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:16 am

alxdgr8 wrote:You just have to figure out a way to drive the water pump, which depends on what accessories you decide to keep.

Stock setup:
Image

Thanks again,
Now I understand the problem ! The accessories are not mounted on the same level, so the a/c compressors function as an adapter for the 2 levels.
This should be fixable ...

alxdgr8 wrote:If you went with electric power steering and ditched AC, then you'd need to figure out a way to drive the alternator and waterpump. Or maybe you could relocate the alternator to where the AC was and use a dual belt pulley to drive the water pump. But I'm not sure if you could get your pulley ratios correct with that route, would need to make some careful calculations.

My plan is to bring as much weight as possible in the back of the car, so the plan is that only the alternator stays there ...

alxdgr8 wrote:Depending on clearances, the transverse TFSI intake manifold might be useable. Looks like Dutter Racing used it on their 07k B5 swap. I can't find it right now, but somebody makes (or made) a cast lower intake manifold for the stock TFSI intake that adds injector bungs for traditional fuel injection. Although for this build it looks like they used the Iroz billet intake runner: http://www.irozmotorsport.com/2-5-tfsi- ... g-runners/

I will call them, they are nice guys - I was not aware that there is already a 07K swap in the DACH region.

audifreakjim wrote:Also, the new 07k in the TTRS and RS3 has single plane accessories. So you might be able simplify your setup by using some of the new parts.

That is interesting - looked up the part numbers and the parts are really expensive - maybe a home made solution is more suitable for me ;) .
urgewalt
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Dec 10, 2017

Re: 07K swap into B2 chassis

Postby urgewalt » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:55 am

Hi,
I just bought a CBUA engine, it will take some time before it arrives in Germany.
But with that in hand, I can hopefully figure some things out.
urgewalt
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Dec 10, 2017


Return to 07k Swaps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron