We drive Time Machines

Non-automotive discussion

We drive Time Machines

Postby nsimps » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:42 am

Backstory:

- Whenever I sell things on the local classifieds and get the "will you trade anything for your stuff?" text, I promptly respond with "If you have any Audi 5cylinder turbo parts." Needless to say I've never received a "Why yes, I do. What do you need?" response. So it was today when I sold something. As we were loading the sold snowmobile onto his trailer he brought up the Audi conversation. I told him that my obsession started about 5 years ago and it's been a fun ride ever since. Showed him the current motor being put back together and he mentioned a friend that moves a lot of older German cars.

So he gets the guy on the phone and starts asking him if he has any older Audi 5 cylinder cars. He says "the 20 valve?" Yeah, the 20valve. Audi 90. "Those are time machines!" Apparently the guy had a 200 Avant 20vt at one point and loved it. He kept calling the 20 valves Time Machines.

It's not very often I run into someone that shares the same enthusiasm for these older Audi's that isn't already on here or on...you know where ;) so it puts a smile on my face every time :D

So there you have it. We drive Time Machines. :drive:
nsimps

Re: We drive Time Machines

Postby 40v4kq » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:50 pm

:thumbsup: Besides "time machine" there is another fitting term for our cars...Money Pit. :lol:
Dan
1984 Ur quattro
1985 4000 S QUATTRO Crashed 4KQ + 40v S8 engine + tubing bender + My BFF = ;)
1987.5 Coupe GT Special Build
40v4kq

Postby ringbearer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Well Dan, have you ever found a cheap time machine? ;)
ringbearer

Postby nsimps » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:44 pm

ringbearer wrote:Well Dan, have you ever found a cheap time machine? ;)

Especially if you are trying to make this time machine get there faster :D
nsimps

Postby 1wheelpeel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:28 am

When my sister first saw my silver 83 UrQ she thought it was the car from Back To The Future. :shame: I wasn't impressed. Now every time I see her she asks " So how's your Delorean restoration going?" :foff:
1wheelpeel

Postby Mentosman42 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:09 am

Haha, on multiple occasions ive been at a gas station or parking lot and had people yell "Back to the future car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
95.5 ur-S6
83 20vt urQ
Mentosman42

Postby Audilard » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 am

I should really put Audi rings on the back of my car. I see more and more people trying to get a look at the front of my car to figure out what it is! It's comical to see people leaning out their window or peaking out their mirrors checking it out. I love my Time Machine!
Darin
1989 80 20vt
Audilard

Postby nsimps » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:49 pm

You and me both Darin. I need to get something to glue the rings back on the deck lid and then figure out how to rig them up on the grille.

That's pretty funny that people try to figure out what you drive. For a while I'd see this GTI at the 7eleven every morning. They'd check out my car but we never talked. Then I show up to a VW meet in Orem and there it was. Turns out he and his girlfriend thought my 90 was a Nissan! Yeah, rings will help me not be part of that ;)
nsimps

Postby JasonNorin » Mon May 11, 2015 10:43 pm

For me, nothing beats the old school. Old cars are crafted to last a lifetime. Compared to newer models, older cars are not economically deprived to the fact that each parts are made of cheap materials. This includes the body of the cars. If you tap them, you can't hear a hollow sound but an armor that is ready for combat. haha!
Provides football news to various sports websites.
JasonNorin

Postby dalspaugh » Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 am

Reviving this thread...

It always blows me away when I pull a part off one of my cars and it reads "W. Germany"

For me, who was too young to remember all that... these cars really ARE a tangible piece of history...
'95 Audi 90Q
'91 Audi CQ Project: Davescq.wordpress.com
'00 Buell X1 Racing Stripe
dalspaugh

Postby PRY4SNO » Wed May 27, 2015 5:33 pm

dalspaugh wrote:Reviving this thread...

It always blows me away when I pull a part off one of my cars and it reads "W. Germany"

For me, who was too young to remember all that... these cars really ARE a tangible piece of history...

Precisely.

Especially when you consider the difference in quality and craftsmanship between a part that is made in Hungary, Mexico or *gasp* China. Even little things that should be easy to screw up, like an o-ring for the power steering pump x-plug.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby 90quattrocoupe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Interesting. Doesn't VEMS come from Hungary?

Greg W.
90quattrocoupe

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:11 pm

LOL

Busted.

But that's still small scale production, probably still built mostly by hand; not mass manufactured with who knows how many corners cut and questionable QA/QC.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby 90quattrocoupe » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:57 am

Ok, how about the Audi TTs and A3s that are produced in Gyor. The A & B Class cars for Mercedes in Kecskemét.

Just a thought.

Greg W.
90quattrocoupe

Postby varia » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:33 pm

90quattrocoupe wrote:Ok, how about the Audi TTs and A3s that are produced in Gyor. The A & B Class cars for Mercedes in Kecskemét.

Just a thought.

Greg W.

not just cars, engines too, like the V8 for the R8, and Volkswagen, Seat and Skoda brands with engines as well.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

project 2226
varia

Return to Off-Topic