Shitty fix of bad VNT turbo with Industrial Dump Valve

Non-automotive discussion

Shitty fix of bad VNT turbo with Industrial Dump Valve

Postby Foscora » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:27 am

Hey guys,

Nothing really interesting there but I thought I'd share this "shitty fix", just for fun.

My company owns a worn out VW Caddy TDI from the 2000's with ALH engine.
The car is falling appart from each and every side but lately, the VNT turbo started to get stuck and the ECU went to limp mode ... pretty annoying.

Since we don't give much f*** about it, we're not going to fix it, but instead of throwing it in a junkyard, we went for a temporary shitty fix : add a "non automotive" dump valve before the boost sensor. :D

So here it comes, we picked up a 7 to 11 bar (100-160 psi) safety valve

replaced the original spring with a softer one laying around and began setting it

0.9bar (stock pressure IIRC), boom it's done

Then comes the piping process, the plumber way :lol:

Fitted in the car

I went for a test run, it whistles so hard, it's so much fun, then goes the boom, hose went off, oil everywhere :D

We added some retaining springs for the hose not to fly (yet, mostly for fun, we know this wont last), and I went for another, longer testrun and well ...

Success(ish*), the ECU won't go in limp mode. The sensor still shows some pressure peaks, yet the valve blows everything away quite quickly (a bit too hard tho, pressure goes down very fast).
* : Hoses still tend to fly away :D

It's a lot of fun hearing the (way too) loud whistle over 3k RPM ... now we wait for the turbo to blow (judging by the oil in the hoses, it's coming soon) :lol:
Last edited by Foscora on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foscora

Re: Shitty fix of bad VNT turbo with Industrial Dump Valve

Postby A1QSHIP » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:02 am

:rofl:
Nulla tenaci invia est via
A1QSHIP

Return to Off-Topic