Sam's 20vt CQ - Red and PNWy

Document and share your build!

Re: Sam's 20vt CQ - Red and PNWy

Postby PRY4SNO » Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 am

It's only a ghetto repair when it doesn't work! ;)

Epic tale, was a good read and motivating too.

Seattle is a helluva town, you'll be in fine company. Congrats to you and your wife, sounds like an interesting chapter ahead.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby ringbearer » Wed May 08, 2019 12:52 pm

As usual, another awesome tale. Thanks for taking the time to share your adventures! Good luck on your transition as well :)
ringbearer

Postby 85oceanic » Fri May 10, 2019 8:51 am

Awesome read Sam! Glad to see you FINALLY posted about BBQ! I was sad that Oceanic was not prepped and ready for the event. The previous event you attended when both Wiley and I was there was a complete blast. That drive I will remember for a VERY long time. Also, congrats on the new PNW gig for the wife! That is awesome, although you're going from a dry wasteland to the exact opposite. :rofl: I hope your business flourishes up there!

Maybe this year you can road trip down with Alex and all of the PNW guys for the last BBQ??
-Ben-
-1985 Audi 4kq: Xona 7164 AAN 488whp- -2009 Audi A4 -
85oceanic

Postby Afterthought » Fri May 10, 2019 9:16 am

I felt the same way when I first started my car I had pulled the valve cover and oiled my lifters and let them sit but I was thinking this noise is like metal hitting metal. It did quiet down though. Probably took almost an hour .
That will be awesome to be up here . If you like Audis and mountain biking there will not be a shortage of any of those up in this area .
Afterthought

Postby FFF » Sun May 12, 2019 12:33 am

I'm not sure how I missed this thread - what a roller coaster ride!! Good luck on the move, no shortages of challenges ahead. I poked Jakey, any idea if your exhaust was a one of or did they by chance use jigs - it looks fantastic!
FFF

Postby audifreakjim » Mon May 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Blah blah, can you fit two bikes in the back of that thing?
audifreakjim

Postby SEStone » Tue May 14, 2019 2:48 am

audifreakjim wrote:Blah blah, can you fit two bikes in the back of that thing?

Is that a challenge?
Sam Stone
((\/)) Evolution Motorsports
SEStone

Postby audifreakjim » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Yes :)
audifreakjim

Postby jbrentd » Wed May 15, 2019 10:28 am

Great update Sam. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the future. And congrats on all the great news on the personal front.
jbrentd

Postby SEStone » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:50 am

Two updates in a month!?

A couple weekends ago, Jim, Micah (pra4wx) and I planned a guy's weekend mountain bike trip in Moab. Since I got back into mountain biking about a year and a half ago, Micah has been a great friend and riding buddy. If anyone is ever in Phoenix and into biking, look him up and go check out the trails around Estrella Mountain Ranch south of Goodyear, which is west-southwest of Phoenix. Micah got me into the Thursday night group ride put on by enthusiasts in the community, which has been a highlight of my life ever since for the fun, commraderie, fitness, skills, shenanigans, beer drinking, and friendships it has brought me. At the same time, Jim and I have gotten together on a number of occasions to go riding around Phoenix and once in Sedona. It's not a huge stretch for people who are into tinkering with cars and like going fast to get really into mountain biking, so a trip to the mountain biking meca of the southwest, arguably one of the finest riding destinations in the world, with these two was one of the best going away parties I could have asked for.

If you're an outdoor enthusiast, Moab is well worth whatever trip is needed to get there. Mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, four wheeling, dirt biking, base jumping...you name it, you can do it on some of the best shit ever within probably a 50 mile radius of downtown. Our plans were to have a good time and hit up a couple of the big name mtb trails there; doing sections of The Whole Enchilada and Hymasa/Captain Ahab. Micah and I did the entirety of 'TWE' in August of 2018, starting from the top at 10k ft, climibing to 11k, then descending all the way down through a number of distinct environments in a 30 mile ribbon of by far my favorite trail I've experienced to date. It's like taking the best features of other great trails, and stringing them in a row, over and over again, for an extremely satisfying distance.

Anyways, due to it being early in the season we started around 7 miles into TWE at the top of Kokopelli. We took the Porcupine Shuttle up, which Micah and I used last year and we'd recommend. $25/ea and 45min-1hr to the top where they drop you off. Kokopelli leads to 'Upper Porcupine Singletrack', a winding section of slickrock features and tight flowing turns along the rim of a cliff overlooking a large valley.

UPS leads into 'Lower Porcupine Singletrack', which is a similar environment but a bit slower and chunkier. LPS then connects to the Porcupine Rim trail, where things pick up speed and intensity as you move along. For about 10 miles you end up bombing ass down fast, rough rocky terrain. First a Jeep road, then a series of drops and rock gardens, before the trail starts to open up and the speeds climb while you continue to bomb down drops, through rock gardens, and off jumps. Jim took point and was hauling ass through this portion, with me behind him, and Micah (arguably the most capable rider in fitness) following close behind on the 26" steel hardtail from the 90s he'd put together for the ride. The top and middle sections of Porcupine Rim are my favorite parts of the ride, it can cure cancer.

The last 5 miles of Porcupine Rim are an epic finale to the ride. The trail narrows, the speeds drop, and suddenly you're riding on the edge of a cliff descending into a river canyon. A series of probably a dozen features provide a difficult, but mostly rideable challenge. Last Summer I got hit hard with heat exhaustion by this part of the ride (it was 95F and we were 6hr in at that point). Today we were less than three hours in and it was absolutely beautiful, in the upper 60s. I rode a number of sections I walked previously, and completed the trail feeling amazing just past noon.

We rode the bike path back into town and grabbed a few thousand calories of delicious milkshakes, burgers, and fries at Milt's. We left there in a food coma, but talked ourselves into doing another ride in the afternoon. Jim shuttled us up the canyon and we set off to ride Hymasa/Captain Ahab. Together they form a classic, but strenous and very technical loop with a long techy climb feeding into a pretty technical descent. Almost anyone can do TWE; it takes skill and fitness to do Ahab. We did the lower loop, and saw some breathtaking scenes at the top and on the way down.

Towards the end of Ahab, Jim ate shit pretty good going down a rocky chute. If he seems a little dumber than he used to be, it's because his forehead broke his fall. He's probably still ok to go for rides with in his 90...probably.

We finished the day with a total of 30+ miles of riding, a couple thousand feet of climbing, and probably a mile or so of descending. Amazing times were had by all. Jim left early the next day, and Micah and I dodged some serious downpours to do an extra credit loop on the north side of Thumb Butte in Prescott on the way back to Phoenix from Moab.

Back to work, I've been busy with work and life getting ready to move. My wife is now officially a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, having walked across the stage last week. But most importantly, I've been working on the Coupe lately to get it ready to drive up north.

First things first, I made some much needed suspension adjustments last weekend. I last messed with the suspension in...I think 2015, after the car was painted. I replaced the seized coilover adjusters and did an alignment. During that process, I accidentally uncovered the rebound adjustment on the rear Konis. This internal adjustment is done by fully compressing the shaft until it engages a camlock on the piston. Clockwise increases damping, and I think there are five turns of adjustment from soft to full stiff. Whatever I did back then, it was way too much. The car rode like shit, wanted to lock rear brakes when going into corners, and the rear tires would rub under hard cornering--especially when going over undulations mid corner, or when throwing it into tight banked stuff. I thought putting bigger front brakes on would solve the locking (which might have been a brake bias issue with the D2 S8 rear brakes). but it didn't touch it which clued me into the damping being a problem. I ended up raising the car 15mm all around, and was able to partially disassemble the rear suspension enough to reset the rear rebound to +1.5 turns from soft as a baseline. So far, so good. It rides well, handles predictably, and no rubbing or rear wheel locking so far. Plus it doesn't look bad at all.

Next on the list was to fix the windows. When I repainted the car, I replaced the driver's door, and while doing so took the time to adjust the window regulator and door latch to allow the door to close perfectly smoothly. I did a good job of that, but I didn't get the window tight enough in the seal and it had a ridiculous amount of wind noise when rolled up. I looked at that today, and found the a-pillar edge of the window wasn't contacting the door seal. I raised the regulator as high as it would go which seemed to bring it into line. It's much better, but the seal seems weak. In ideal conditions it's quiet, but in a crosswind at speed you can hear noise. I may need to shim the bottom of the regulator, or double check the height where the door is hung to get that perfect.

Next on the list were the front bumper and grilles. The more I work on and look at the car, the more it's apparent that the paint and bodywork is far from finished, despite being 'completed' in 2015. I haven't touched it since then, so it's left off where a bunch of sleep deprived dudes rushed to get it done after hours before BBQ5. It bugs me, because the car looks amazing from 20' but has so many correctable flaws up close--orange peel that still needs to be sanded, spots that were sanded but not fully buffed, residue from wet sanding that needs to be cleaned off, and overspray that can be fixed. Just seems very incomplete for how much effort I put into it. Anyways, I got this Rieger RS2 replica bumper probably 7-8 years ago, but had never installed the expanded mesh grilles. I got sick of looking at the unfinished holes in the bumper, showing the bare and aging structures behind it, and decided to start there. After a quick Facebook poll, I decided to attach them with zip ties and anchors.

My tame racing dog Linus picked our some plastic picture frame hangers and I epoxied them to the bumper. In case you weren't aware, Home Depot allows dogs in their store which is become a very valid reason for me to shop there. Linus loves hanging around while I work on cars and coming along on errands.

They make these in different sizes and styles, and the package of them was cheap. If any break, I can just epoxy more on next to them. Easy and effective, and the grilles look good.

Next on the list was something I've wanted to do for a while. I like the RS2 bumper, but it doesn't really go well on the Coupe which has large black doorsills and black lower trim. The monochrome bumper doesn't follow those lines and sticks out like a sore thumb. With some colors, painting the sills and trims looks good, but for some reason I've never liked that scheme with red. The late Cabby bumper brings the black trim to the bumper, and along those lines I've seen people paint the lowers on the bumper black before. It had potential, but the proportions they used weren't quite right. I figured that out in my head, and have wanted to do this in vinyl for some time. Vinyl with cut tape would do it, but you need two people and a lot of good, expensive material to wrap that shape--at least at my vinyl skill level. Then the thought occured that this would be a perfect use for plastidip--easy, cheap, and completely removeable if it didn't look right. I decided to give that a shot as a proof of concept.

I masked it off with 3M platinum painters tape, which has a plasticy feel to it. It lays down sharp edges and is a bit stretchy, so you can form curves better with it. I freehanded one side and tried to copy that using some basic measurement guidelines. I think I ended up doing 4 or 5 coats, medium then heavy. I let it sit in the sun for about 30min before touching it. I made the rookie mistake of peeling the tape after it had dried--this was a bit of a fail as the dip is stretchy and does not tear cleanly. You're apparently supposed to pull the tape when it's all wet. So the first try has some minor blemishes...but hey, 20' car.

I threw it back together and was excited with what I saw. But before I was going to spam that, I was going to go for a drive. I've had a really awful week, and the weekend wasn't great up until that point. I haven't put a lot of miles on this car lately, and I haven't really gotten to play with it in the mountains in YEARS. So all finished up at 4pm, I packed up the garage and was going to go for a sunset drive up to Prescott via Yarnell/Congress. This route takes you up SR89, with about 20 miles total of rather tight and twisting mountain roads at the end. It was 95F in Phoenix, but mid 70s in Prescott with no clouds in the sky. I was going to grab a burger at the Barley Hound, a great restaurant off of Cortez St in downtown.

Only problem was that Linus REFUSED to leave the garage where he'd been spending all afternoon with me unless he was getting in a car to go on an adventure first. The Coupe is barely hospitable for a human in this weather, let alone a dog in the back, but I thought I'd give it a shot. He'd gone on one trip in it before and didn't seem to be afraid of getting into it again, so that's on him. I folded the seats down and threw in a dog bed. He figured out how to climb in the back and sat down, waiting for me to get in and get the show on the road.

I set him up with a water bowl, as the first 50min of the drive aren't very high in elevation and were quite warm. He didn't seem to mind the heat and seemed stoked on everything going on. Once we started to climb and hit the curves, he played along and kept himself stable. I started pretty conservatively but by the end was driving fairly hard, and he was all about it leaning into corners and bracing for the acceleration and braking! Dogs are cool.

Anyways, by the time I got close to Prescott it was the golden hour and absolutely beautiful out. The grilles look good, and the plastidip job held up and looks good. There are a few design tweaks I want to make before it's perfect, but I think this will work until I get up to Washington. Check it out!

We stopped for dinner where Linus got to hang out with two other greyhounds that happened to be there too and then drove back. The car is working better than it has in a while, and drove great the whole way there.

The engine and tune are solid, but boost control is terrible and the one big thing I need to address on the car to make it truly good to drive from a 'toy' standpoint. I am still running the stock Borg Warner medium boost actuator, as I haven't gotten around to buying the Turbosmart twin port unit and adapting that in. Due to the mounting angles and the weak actuator, the boost the car makes is a bit random but ultimately disappointing. It will spike between 15-20psi depending on load and gear, but then the wastegate gets forced open and it runs about 10psi which is super lame. I don't want to be greedy on this stock 7A bottom end, but being able to make and hold low to mid 20s for boost seems to be proven if you aren't doing stupid shit with ignition timing, and that power level is perfect for this chassis for how I use it. The LAST thing I need to deal with now is a blown up Audi, so this will definitely wait until after I move...though maybe not very long after that.

Sam
Sam Stone
SEStone

Postby audifreakjim » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 am

Sam, that was an awesome trip! It's great to see the coupe out and about too. While I'm bummed we can't ride in AZ anymore, I'm excited to see where this next chapter in life leads for the three of you.
audifreakjim

Postby 85oceanic » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:52 am

Damn, it looks like you've been having a great time! I am jelly of all of the single track, I have no one to ride with down here so my MTB gets little to no use. Car is looking good! I too am excited to see how the PNW treats you, rest assured with this group there is at least someone local to any major city you can get your car nerd on with.
-Ben-
85oceanic

Postby SEStone » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:01 pm

85oceanic wrote:Damn, it looks like you've been having a great time! I am jelly of all of the single track, I have no one to ride with down here so my MTB gets little to no use. Car is looking good! I too am excited to see how the PNW treats you, rest assured with this group there is at least someone local to any major city you can get your car nerd on with.

I still think a Sunday morning MTB group ride would be totally doable at BBQ. There are some good trails in/near Vegas and I bet we could get at least 3-4 people together to go play. Bootleg Canyon, Three Mile Smile, etc. If we were ambitious we could go ride Hurricane...

Sam
Sam Stone
SEStone

Postby audifreakjim » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:34 pm

We should do it this year. I'll put my tampon in and deal with Sunday traffic.
audifreakjim

Postby 85oceanic » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:49 am

SEStone wrote:
85oceanic wrote:Damn, it looks like you've been having a great time! I am jelly of all of the single track, I have no one to ride with down here so my MTB gets little to no use. Car is looking good! I too am excited to see how the PNW treats you, rest assured with this group there is at least someone local to any major city you can get your car nerd on with.

I still think a Sunday morning MTB group ride would be totally doable at BBQ. There are some good trails in/near Vegas and I bet we could get at least 3-4 people together to go play. Bootleg Canyon, Three Mile Smile, etc. If we were ambitious we could go ride Hurricane...

Sam

That would be awesome, lets make it happen!
-Ben-
85oceanic

Postby themagellan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:14 pm

I've seen some home depot sh*t before but never CVS - Just kidding - very clever!
themagellan

Previous

Return to Projects