Alex G's URS6 AAN Billet hybrid K24-7400 build (new thread)

Document and share your build!

Postby PLANETARY4 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:03 pm

:boom:

Oh shit, so I wanted to make an in progress build thread, but photobucket and time crunch didn't help that.

2 years ago I was running lean and broke #5 connecting rod. The MTM chip was unfit for my other mods. Since I worked at a speed shop that built HEMI engines I figured Ill build an AAN.

After collecting parts and dealing with other shit I started build the engine close to a year ago. I would do as much as I could myself and learn how to do it, this is my first engine build!

I had a built up head that I rebuilt and resurfaced. I used all forged components for the bottom end. I wanted to upgrade the turbo but didnt want to spend the money on a new one or one that I would have to change other parts. I was intrigued by the Volvo S60R/V70R K24 7400 turbo that is similar to the stock turbo but larger.
Since I ran the machine shop at my work, machining out the turbine housing or whatever isnt a problem.

Thanks to a couple of my co workers that taught me and helped me with this project!!!!!

On to the photos

I have DM Forge H beam rods and coated bearings.

On to the turbo, I learned that there are billet compressors for the K24 7400. I decided that since I can machine the compressor housing i might as well install an oversize compressor.
I bought this billet 11 blade 55mm inducer.

It was around this point that my employer told us that the company was sold and they will be closing the facility! :bangshead: :oops: :thumbsdown:
Last edited by PLANETARY4 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
'90 V8q
'95 S6
PLANETARY4

Postby Afterthought » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 am

Awesome .
I don’t know how many miles you have on the car now, but one question , with the Forged pistons, Did you have any / or have you had any issues with burning oil in the warmup period or otherwise ?
Afterthought

1983 UrQuattro - http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1819&p=72513#p72513
1983 Ur Quattro Amazon Blue / Zebra MC
GMC 2500HD
Afterthought

Re: Alex G's URS6 AAN Billet hybrid K24-7400 build (new thre

Postby PLANETARY4 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm

So I hurried getting this shit together and tried to secure a new job. Fortunately, I was one of the last employees still needed. So, I got it done.

That lift broke a couple days before I claimed the spot. And yes I plan to get the car painted. My ex GF and I had some plaistidip fun before the engine blew. Its all faded, it looks kinda interesting in person.

My plan was to get it tuned at EFI Express and visit my family while I was in between jobs.
I also had this crazy frustrating clutch issue. Non of my 7A clutch setups would hold the torque which were well under their rated capacity. That was something I wanted to sort out when I went up to EFI Express.

After myself and the guys at EFI Express installed 2 pressure plates, 3 different disks, the flywheel was resurfaced twice, even the slave cylinder was pulled out and we scoped the bell housing. South bend brand components would not hold, I know this is not normal. We used a dual mass that I had and a stage 4 South bend kit. It sucks to drive, but it holds the power, it is quick at shifting. I suppose I got 2 bad pressure plates. Anyways, EFI express was awesome, I spent longer than anticipated there but they are a great crew. I enjoyed hanging there even though this clutch issue was frustrating.

On with the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql5m8Ejkjrw
I cant seem to embed this

So at some point I will try to go single mass flywheel setup again. Maybe a different brand this time.

I was a little hopeful that it would spool a bit quicker but for an inexpensive turbo upgrade I'm pretty happy with it.
Alex
'90 V8q
'95 S6
PLANETARY4

Postby vt10vt » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Awesome! Not so much about the job... but definitely about the project! Sucks about the clutch, but Marc and crew know all about unplanned speedbumps so glad they were able to help get you sorted. Looking forward to seeing some in-car video.
-Shawn C.
2001 S4 6spd Avant blk/blk - stock daily
2002 01E B6 A4 Built FYF, Built 1.8T, HX35 ~330whp
1989 MC-1 200 Avant- MS1 -Gone but will never forget her lessons
1987 5ktq Sedan - Best $500 beater ever
vt10vt

Postby PLANETARY4 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Afterthought wrote:Awesome .
I don’t know how many miles you have on the car now, but one question , with the Forged pistons, Did you have any / or have you had any issues with burning oil in the warmup period or otherwise ?

I have less than 3k on it, on its second oil change. i have not noticed consumption with any significance.

Thanks. It was crazy. However, I did just get hired for a better job!
Alex
'90 V8q
'95 S6
PLANETARY4

Postby Afterthought » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks! I was only asking because I had some issues with my own running Forged pistons , basically visual smoke and oil burn for the first few minutes or even minute of warm up. And some consumption . Being that you are a machinist I didn’t know if there was anything special to do with the gaps when using aftermarket metallurgy pistons .

Sounds like you got er dialed in- EFI express is a good crew to have on your side . Marc has helped me out a ton with my builds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Afterthought

1983 UrQuattro - http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1819&p=72513#p72513
1983 Ur Quattro Amazon Blue / Zebra MC
GMC 2500HD
Afterthought

Postby morris400 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 am

Very nice build. Great work.
1994 UrS4 Intended Acceleration Chip
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- ( gone but not forgotten )
IF YOU CANT STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS...FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!
morris400

Return to Projects