Tarpan's 1996 Audi UrS6 - Suspension done. What's next?

Document and share your build!

Re: Tarpan's 1996 Audi UrS6 - Suspension done. What's next?

Postby PRY4SNO » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 am

Good to have you here, hope you keep up on the updates. :)
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby IslandRinger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 am

PRY4SNO wrote:Good to have you here, hope you keep up on the updates. :)
Thanks! Things have slowed down currently. Trying to tag up on a few loose ends and preventative maintenance items so nothing special really. I am rebuilding the 996 calipers for the BBK setup ill be installing shortly worth new seals and hardware. New pads to be installed once I decide which ones I want to go with. I'm out of town for work currently so may be a little longer yet. I also received an OEM new RS2 exhaust manifold and a k24-7400 turbo with a 951 hotside this last month. Still need a couple more pieces of the hardware to make that work.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:
2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 1.8T [DD/Family Wagen]
1996 Audi UrS6 [The Ongoing Project]

1986 Audi Coupe GT [SOLD]
IslandRinger

Postby PRY4SNO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 am

Don't discount the value of a regular maintenance post... sometimes parts dry up from various suppliers (it's good to know in real time), pics in old threads disappear, etc.

Anyways, carry on.

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby IslandRinger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:29 pm

PRY4SNO wrote:Don't discount the value of a regular maintenance post... sometimes parts dry up from various suppliers (it's good to know in real time), pics in old threads disappear, etc.

Anyways, carry on.

Duly noted and great point.

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby IslandRinger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:34 pm

No real project news as I've been away from home for work. Get home next week so hopefully some of my parts will have arrived and I can get cracking on the work list. In the mean time, enjoy a #Quattroweather pic! Image

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby ringbearer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Looks white up there, enjoy!
ringbearer

Postby IslandRinger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:56 pm

Just got these in the mail via Amazon. Always nice getting new tools. I know these will come in handy for my future turbo and exhaust manifold work. Image

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby IslandRinger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Started the rebuild on the Porsche 996 calipers. Replacing all seals along with new caliper hold-downs and pins. Got as far as swapping the crossover line and bleeders on one caliper.

Top tip: use a liberal amount of penetratant and a flare nut wrench. Tap the wrench instead of using constant force. Did all the above but still managed to round off one of the crossover line fasteners. ImageImage

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby IslandRinger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:09 pm

My parts list has grown since I last posted... Not much work done since then but exciting times ahead.

As the motto goes, slowly but surely... stay tuned!

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby TCombs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 am

Where did you get the brackets for the 996 calipers? Apikol or did you buy them from someone?
1994 Audi URS4 Emerald Green
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby IslandRinger » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:26 pm

TCombs wrote:Where did you get the brackets for the 996 calipers? Apikol or did you buy them from someone?
Sorry for the late reply. I bought them from a QW UrS forum member. He got them direct from Germany. Hoping they work alright. Life has put a bit of a halt on any major wrenching so I've been acquiring parts instead lol. Most people are going with the Apikol brackets although I've seen a few folks go with brackets from Brydon Engineering.

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby IslandRinger » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Alright... little update for you folks.

Haven't been able to do much work on the car as life priorities have taken up any free time. I've been driving the car almost daily though and it's been great but it's time to put her under the knife again in the next short while. Plenty of preventative maintenance items left to be completed along with some new things. Although I haven't been working on the car, I've been gathering pieces for the next evolution.

As mentioned in previous posts, I still have the 996 caliper upgrade on the bench ready to install (almost). Just need new rear rotors and need to get rid of the brake pad wear sensor situation. I'll get there, eventually.

The parts collecting I've been doing has been for the Volvo K24-7400 turbo upgrade. Here's the parts list so far:
    OEM RS2 Manifold
    Freshly Rebuilt Volvo K24-7400 with Porsche 951 hotside
    Used Stromung Downpipe (no flex pipe)
    Newer Gen Stromung Exhaust - brand new
    044 Fuel Pump Kit with Relay Harness
    60lb Injectors
    VEMS Plug and Play Unit with Wideband

I still need a couple more items such as the IPD blanking plate and the v-band adapter. Looking to get a new bypass valve as I'm suspicious about the current original one. Also would like a boost gauge. This is all new territory for me so I'll be asking questions and looking for tips and assistance in the future whenever I get around to doing all this. VEMS as a whole is a bit scary to look at right now but I'm sure it'll be a bit of a learning curve until it starts to make sense. Just don't want that learning curve to cause any problems.

Some initial questions right off the bat:

a) Good source for new exhaust hangars?
b) Where can I go for a basemap file that will work with my hardware?
c) Is there anything I'm still missing for all of this to work?

TIA
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby TCombs » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:00 am

IslandRinger wrote:Alright... little update for you folks.

Haven't been able to do much work on the car as life priorities have taken up any free time. I've been driving the car almost daily though and it's been great but it's time to put her under the knife again in the next short while. Plenty of preventative maintenance items left to be completed along with some new things. Although I haven't been working on the car, I've been gathering pieces for the next evolution.

As mentioned in previous posts, I still have the 996 caliper upgrade on the bench ready to install (almost). Just need new rear rotors and need to get rid of the brake pad wear sensor situation. I'll get there, eventually.

The parts collecting I've been doing has been for the Volvo K24-7400 turbo upgrade. Here's the parts list so far:
    OEM RS2 Manifold
    Freshly Rebuilt Volvo K24-7400 with Porsche 951 hotside
    Used Stromung Downpipe (no flex pipe)
    Newer Gen Stromung Exhaust - brand new
    044 Fuel Pump Kit with Relay Harness
    60lb Injectors
    VEMS Plug and Play Unit with Wideband

I still need a couple more items such as the IPD blanking plate and the v-band adapter. Looking to get a new bypass valve as I'm suspicious about the current original one. Also would like a boost gauge. This is all new territory for me so I'll be asking questions and looking for tips and assistance in the future whenever I get around to doing all this. VEMS as a whole is a bit scary to look at right now but I'm sure it'll be a bit of a learning curve until it starts to make sense. Just don't want that learning curve to cause any problems.

Some initial questions right off the bat:

a) Good source for new exhaust hangars?
b) Where can I go for a basemap file that will work with my hardware?
c) Is there anything I'm still missing for all of this to work?

TIA

Very nice parts list, a bit jealous myself. I am buying 996 calipers tomorrow for a steal and will slowly gather parts for those and suspension but the timing belt is being done this weekend!
Where did you get the turbo?
As for questions I am not 100%, and others can chime in as they will know more but as far as my knowledge.
A) I have been buying parts from FCP Euro. I need one hanger as well. ECS had one for like $40, and FCP wanted $33 or something like that. So I said screw that. I ordered a Porsche one that looked the exact same, for like $8. I think it was for the 968?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsch ... 2811125902
See if that link works, even the one from Porsche is cheaper at like $12.
B) As for base map, I thought VEMS came with a base when you bought it? Could be wrong. But Marc at EFi Express is the man, only talked to him a couple times my self, but everyone has nothing but good things to say. I believe he is the one who developed/makes them.
C)For swapping everything over make sure you gather all the gaskets you need, while you are in there. 034 makes a great exhaust manifold install kit. Comes with almost everything you need.
https://store.034motorsport.com/hardwar ... -20vt.html
Even comes with the short studs. I ended up having to cut two other ones down, but all is good.
I needed two of these, depends on your bellow. https://store.034motorsport.com/gasket- ... sport.html
There are a couple for the oil feed/return and coolant feed/return depending on what you end up taking off.
Make sure you soak everything before hand. I soaked everything I could twice a day, a week in advanced. Didn't have an issue with anything. I'll find the write up on what to do.
https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/28110.phtml
Can't think of anything else right now, hope that helps a bit.
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby PRY4SNO » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:31 pm

x2 on Marc for a base map, he'll set you up properly.

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby IslandRinger » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:35 pm

TCombs wrote:
Very nice parts list, a bit jealous myself. I am buying 996 calipers tomorrow for a steal and will slowly gather parts for those and suspension but the timing belt is being done this weekend!
Where did you get the turbo?
As for questions I am not 100%, and others can chime in as they will know more but as far as my knowledge.
A) I have been buying parts from FCP Euro. I need one hanger as well. ECS had one for like $40, and FCP wanted $33 or something like that. So I said screw that. I ordered a Porsche one that looked the exact same, for like $8. I think it was for the 968?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsch ... 2811125902
See if that link works, even the one from Porsche is cheaper at like $12.
B) As for base map, I thought VEMS came with a base when you bought it? Could be wrong. But Marc at EFi Express is the man, only talked to him a couple times my self, but everyone has nothing but good things to say. I believe he is the one who developed/makes them.
C)For swapping everything over make sure you gather all the gaskets you need, while you are in there. 034 makes a great exhaust manifold install kit. Comes with almost everything you need.
https://store.034motorsport.com/hardwar ... -20vt.html
Even comes with the short studs. I ended up having to cut two other ones down, but all is good.
I needed two of these, depends on your bellow. https://store.034motorsport.com/gasket- ... sport.html
There are a couple for the oil feed/return and coolant feed/return depending on what you end up taking off.
Make sure you soak everything before hand. I soaked everything I could twice a day, a week in advanced. Didn't have an issue with anything. I'll find the write up on what to do.
https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/28110.phtml
Can't think of anything else right now, hope that helps a bit.

I've yet to do the timing belt on mine so that's going to happen first before any of this stuff gets underway.
Got the turbo from one of the UrS owners on one of the FB pages. Good and fair price since he took care of the rebuild.

I've seen those Porsche hangars before and they do look identical. Thanks for the link. Did those hangars work out alright?.

I should've mentioned I bought my VEMS unit used from another Canadian owner out east. He had his VEMS basemap setup for an RS2-type tune. Probably could get my car to run with that file but don't really want to risk it. I actually was contacted by another Canadian owner who mentioned he has a Volvo K24 basemap that will be a lot closer to my hardware setup. I do have a few different components that may warrant a bit of tweaking but at least I won't be too far off. I suppose this will give me a better platform to start tinkering and learning about tuning with VEMS. I have emailed Marc at EFI asking about a basemap but didn't get a reply. Perhaps I can try again. I know he's a busy guy.

My Exhaust Manifold has all new hardware and gaskets I'm pretty sure. The downpipe only has the manifold-side metal gasket but not the Stromung 2-bolt flange gasket. Should be easy enough to make one or something.

I'm not too worried about the coolant and oil line gaskets just yet. Those should be easy enough to get from the dealer or whoever. I definitely intend on spraying down everything with penetrant in advance. Already have the RS2 manifold install procedure printed and ready to go.

All that's left is to get the timing belt done and find the time to get this stuff on the car!
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby TCombs » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:52 pm

IslandRinger wrote:

I've yet to do the timing belt on mine so that's going to happen first before any of this stuff gets underway.
Got the turbo from one of the UrS owners on one of the FB pages. Good and fair price since he took care of the rebuild.

I've seen those Porsche hangars before and they do look identical. Thanks for the link. Did those hangars work out alright?.

I should've mentioned I bought my VEMS unit used from another Canadian owner out east. He had his VEMS basemap setup for an RS2-type tune. Probably could get my car to run with that file but don't really want to risk it. I actually was contacted by another Canadian owner who mentioned he has a Volvo K24 basemap that will be a lot closer to my hardware setup. I do have a few different components that may warrant a bit of tweaking but at least I won't be too far off. I suppose this will give me a better platform to start tinkering and learning about tuning with VEMS. I have emailed Marc at EFI asking about a basemap but didn't get a reply. Perhaps I can try again. I know he's a busy guy.

My Exhaust Manifold has all new hardware and gaskets I'm pretty sure. The downpipe only has the manifold-side metal gasket but not the Stromung 2-bolt flange gasket. Should be easy enough to make one or something.

I'm not too worried about the coolant and oil line gaskets just yet. Those should be easy enough to get from the dealer or whoever. I definitely intend on spraying down everything with penetrant in advance. Already have the RS2 manifold install procedure printed and ready to go.

All that's left is to get the timing belt done and find the time to get this stuff on the car!

I am finishing up my timing belt today, ran into some problems but all fixed now, just need to get some hardware for the intercooler. Go slowly when taking bolts out, you don't know how long they have been in there, most have loctite from the factory. Its a 27mm fo the crank bolt, recommend a 6ft cheater bar, and find either the factory tool or a way to lock the crank pulley in place.
http://12v.org/urs/FredMsTimingBeltR&RDIY.pdf
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_s ... timing.htm
I used both of these sites to help with my install. I ended up taking my radiator off completely. It was filled with stuff!!! Ill post a video later. But I spent a good two or so hours trying to get that crank bolt loose. The right tools for sure help!

The hanger was perfect. A little hard to get on but thats to be expected from a brand new rubber hanger. It stretched out a bit when it took the weight of the exhaust, but it was the right hanger.

Even with used VEMS there are a lot of guys who run different set up and should be able to get you one pretty close to what you need.

As for the oil and coolant gaskets they are pretty cheap and easy to find. Most those gaskets are the same through out Audi, and turbos in general, but I believe Garrett and Holset are differet? And PB blaster was awesome. I was a bit surprised about how nice everything came off, with the manifold being on there for so many years, and going through who knows how many heat cycles. I followed the instructions pretty closely, but there were some steps I skipped.
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Re: Tarpan's 1996 Audi UrS6 - New problems...

Postby IslandRinger » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:13 am

:bangshead:

So... Went to fire up the car yesterday after it had sat in the driveway for maybe 2 days at most. Clutch pedal has no resistance behind it. Odd...

Start the car in Neutral. Check to see if any resistance has built up behind pedal. Nothing.
Here are my symptoms and things that I've checked so far.

- Reservoir is above the MIN level mark
- No fluid under pedals
- Slave looks dry as well
- Pedal DOES return to original position

- Depressed clutch pedal to start car, very little resistance
- Car starts, will go into all 5 gears except Reverse (Very notchy and tough to get in) ***
- Car will move when in gear and when I let off the clutch pedal. Doesn't feel like it's grabbing well though. Can't test well as I only have about 2-3 feet of driveway to move.
- With car off, I can shift into all gears normally
- In 1st, start the car and slowly let off pedal to again barely move forward in the driveway

Any ideas as to what this may be? The symptoms are a bit strange to me. I'm dreading this being a failed clutch as I've never pulled a transmission before. Could it be something more simple than that? This new problem may accelerate things involving the Volvo turbo swap and exhaust as well since I'll probably do it all together since the car is now out of commission. In the case that it is the clutch that is gone, any recommendations for a clutch kit that will be enough for the Volvo Turbo kit?
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby the german » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:29 am

Sounds like a mechanical failure, probably not hydraulic as you have deduced. Could be some part of the throw-out bearing mechanism or the pressure plate it's self. I think a transmission pull is in your near future..
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
2011 A4 2.0T Avant (ok, it's my wife's car but it's sexy and I love it)
the german

Postby IslandRinger » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:24 pm

the german wrote:Sounds like a mechanical failure, probably not hydraulic as you have deduced. Could be some part of the throw-out bearing mechanism or the pressure plate it's self. I think a transmission pull is in your near future..
I fear you may be right.

Bled the clutch slave today in case. Dirty old fluid but no air. No change to the issue either.

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby PRY4SNO » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:52 am

the german wrote:Sounds like a mechanical failure, probably not hydraulic as you have deduced. Could be some part of the throw-out bearing mechanism or the pressure plate it's self. I think a transmission pull is in your near future..

First thing that came to mind was a pilot or throw out bearing. Agree it's time to pull and upgrade, all the parts, while you're in there.

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby IslandRinger » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:02 am

PRY4SNO wrote:

First thing that came to mind was a pilot or throw out bearing. Agree it's time to pull and upgrade, all the parts, while you're in there.

Wouldn't I hear noises when clutch is engaged with bad throwout or pilot bearings? I have no noises.

Again, tough to shift (notchy) and no clutch pedal resistance.

Would it be worth replacing the Clutch Master and Slave cylinders too?
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby IslandRinger » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:54 am

Alright. Done a bit more brainstorming.

I'm starting to think that a internally leaking clutch master could cause similar symptoms to what i have.

Master cylinder not able to build up enough pressure to fully disengage clutch. Could also account for lack of pedal resistance

Does that sound plausible?

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby PRY4SNO » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:44 pm

When the pilot bearing let go on my Cayenne Metallic Cq in traffic, there were no noises at all. Just lost the ability to engage any gear. Luckily I had momentum enough to pull off the road into a Rona parking lot and park it out back.

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby IslandRinger » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:32 am

Hopefully this isn't the case. Trying to keep it simple first. Strange part is I can get into 1-5, just not reverse. It definitely feels like the clutch is not fully disengaging.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the clutch master and slave. It adds up in my head. If it still doesn't work, so be it. Rather start here than dive into the tough stuff first.

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby pilihp2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:23 am

something to add.
My clutch master failed a long while back.
It was able to build pressure, but it very rapidly lost pressure. So if you held it for 5 seconds, within like 3 seconds it would be like you lifted let your foot off the pedal even if it was to the floor. Made it a nightmare to drive. It's like the seal held only some pressure, and fluid quickly made it past the seal.
See if you can put it into gear at all right after you immediately press the pedal maybe?
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
91 v8 5spd - I guess I'm a masochist
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - 2 wheeled hooliganism

-Terrible at responding to PM's
pilihp2

PreviousNext

Return to Projects