eS2 evolution

Document and share your build!

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 pm

Pulled the engine out of the crate, starting to bolt a few things on before dropping it in.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Oct 31, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby morris400 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:51 pm

Very nice!
2016 VW Jetta 1.4T Daily Driver Stock.
1994 UrS4 - K24 7400 Vems moving to EFI Experss tune.
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- ( gone! Dropped valve cyl 4)

IF YOU CANT STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS...FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!
User avatar
morris400
 
Posts: 228
Joined: May 10, 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby Afterthought » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:35 pm

Nothing would make me happier than to have one my projects with the engine finished in a crate and the body/paint done , like what you’re doing . Just installing and fabbing. You’ve got the right idea !

Which turbo is that ?
****
Afterthought

1983 UrQuattro - http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1819&p=72513#p72513
1983 Ur Quattro restoration project
1990 Coupe
2007 RS4 Piece of crap headache
Afterthought
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Jan 16, 2014
Location: Bellingham, Wa

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby jbrentd » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:02 pm

Beautiful engine! I really enjoy your updates.

Question: does the orientation of the two oil pressure sensors on the drivers side matter? Mine are the reverse of how your are installed.
jbrentd
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Aug 29, 2018
Location: Owasso, OK

eS2 evolution

Postby Afterthought » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:16 am

jbrentd wrote:Beautiful engine! I really enjoy your updates.

Question: does the orientation of the two oil pressure sensors on the drivers side matter? Mine are the reverse of how your are installed.


I’m not 100% sure if this is true in the 7A too, but i think it is . You can check my theory by looking at your old engine you pulled.
I think that you can’t switch the sensors unless one is threaded into an adapter.
In the AAN you have actually two different size threads , one hole is m10 and one is m16x1.5 . The bottom / larger hole has a check valve inside . Some of the urS cars (either urs4 or urs6? ) came without a gauge so the pressure sender( bottom hole ) is plugged with a bolt . I used it for a gauge. The larger port with the check valve sees the pressure that is going to your head .
If you ever need or want to change your gauge to an auto meter or different brand all you need is a metric to auto meter gauge adapter - I think it’s PN 2268.
My engines both have gauge sender on the bottom and pressure switch on top .
****
Afterthought

1983 UrQuattro - http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1819&p=72513#p72513
1983 Ur Quattro restoration project
1990 Coupe
2007 RS4 Piece of crap headache
Afterthought
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Jan 16, 2014
Location: Bellingham, Wa

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 am

Afterthought wrote:Nothing would make me happier than to have one my projects with the engine finished in a crate and the body/paint done , like what you’re doing . Just installing and fabbing. You’ve got the right idea !

Which turbo is that ?


Well you know how long I’ve been gathering!! And yes, having a clean start is way easier - one of the primary reasons I didn’t do a URQ (I couldn’t find anything in my price range with a good body) - I just don’t have the time (or skills) to dive into major body work... I can do basic stuff, good at spraying but am way to picky with no budget for paint given everything else I wanted to do on this project.

It’s a Xona Rotor 8267, the 9567 has the same hot side so theoretically I can upgrade to that if I “need” some more power without buying the entire Turbo. Fuel system is being built so that I can do anything with the engine without having issues even on E85 (which we just got in the city so I may actually do a map for that as well).

The center section is very nicely done -

Image

http://www.xonarotor.com/products/xrtur ... 153-xr8267






Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Oct 31, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:43 am

Afterthought wrote:
jbrentd wrote:Beautiful engine! I really enjoy your updates.

Question: does the orientation of the two oil pressure sensors on the drivers side matter? Mine are the reverse of how your are installed.


I’m not 100% sure if this is true in the 7A too, but i think it is . You can check my theory by looking at your old engine you pulled.
I think that you can’t switch the sensors unless one is threaded into an adapter.
In the AAN you have actually two different size threads , one hole is m10 and one is m16x1.5 . The bottom / larger hole has a check valve inside . Some of the urS cars (either urs4 or urs6? ) came without a gauge so the pressure sender( bottom hole ) is plugged with a bolt . I used it for a gauge. The larger port with the check valve sees the pressure that is going to your head .
If you ever need or want to change your gauge to an auto meter or different brand all you need is a metric to auto meter gauge adapter - I think it’s PN 2268.
My engines both have gauge sender on the bottom and pressure switch on top .


I didn’t know that thank you (I assumed they could be reversed because the 3b in the car had them reversed, my built motor was an AAN so I left the sensors where they were.

You can zoom in and see them in this picture.

Image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Oct 31, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby PRY4SNO » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:57 am

Om nom nom, crate engine :drool:
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
User avatar
PRY4SNO
 
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mar 3, 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby ringbearer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:05 pm

As previous stated, awesome build one of my favorites! Keep it up :)
User avatar
ringbearer
 
Posts: 1231
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
Location: Nor-Cal

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:37 pm

ringbearer wrote:As previous stated, awesome build one of my favorites! Keep it up :)


Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Oct 31, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:17 pm

Some good progress this weekend.

I keep thinking that I am close to done cleaning, then I find more grimy parts...

Image

Image

Image

Then a couple of coats of paint slapped on... meanwhile still getting other stuff ready.

Tilton twin disc, 034 flywheel and throw out bearing..

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I think that the factory exhaust manifold will do a good job of heat control... all the Iroz goodness gets hidden though!

Still needs to be cleaned up but function over fashion...

Image

Some Iabed Ind bits... thanks to Issam for the development on these old engines!

Image

Image

Doing port injection for water/meth... measure and verified a lot before drilling!!! Needed some help holding while drilling so went to the boys shop...

Image

Also needed to drill and re tap throttle body as my bracket is held by m6 bolts...

Image

Image

Don’t even know what these are called but it is a socket set that taps fit into, borrowed my sons. I won’t ever do another tap without using them. So much more control with them. You can see it on top of the tap.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Good clearance around everything, I’m pleased with the outcome.

Image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Oct 31, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby DE80q » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Very nice work! I kind of wish I had taken the time to clean everything the way you are.

Oh, and they are called "tap sockets". I use them regularly at work.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mar 4, 2013
Location: York PA 17403

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby Afterthought » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:00 pm

Nice. im gonna look into that socket set .
I get stressed out drilling into anything
****
Afterthought

1983 UrQuattro - http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1819&p=72513#p72513
1983 Ur Quattro restoration project
1990 Coupe
2007 RS4 Piece of crap headache
Afterthought
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Jan 16, 2014
Location: Bellingham, Wa

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby DE80q » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Lisle tools makes a nice set that doesn't cost too much.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mar 4, 2013
Location: York PA 17403

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby jbrentd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:56 pm

That sockets makes it a little less stressful tapping into that nice IM. I need to find some of those too. Nice work.
jbrentd
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Aug 29, 2018
Location: Owasso, OK

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 pm

And you can never have too many tools, regardless of what my wife says!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Oct 31, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby MikeB25 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:19 pm

FFF wrote:
Some Iabed Ind bits... thanks to Issam for the development on these old engines!



Image



Very inspirational (and humbling) project!
How does the Iabed breather puck thing mount to the block?
'90 Coupe Quattro (AAN swap underway)
'93 UrS4 (organ donor)
'02 A4 1.8T Quattro (bone stock daily)
'08 Q7 (lemon)
MikeB25
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Aug 21, 2018

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 pm

MikeB25 wrote:
FFF wrote:
Some Iabed Ind bits... thanks to Issam for the development on these old engines!



Image



Very inspirational (and humbling) project!
How does the Iabed breather puck thing mount to the block?


Thanks - collected parts for several years!!

It is the same as the factory unit - it just “pressed” in, some gentle tapping with a mallet to set it in place.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Oct 31, 2014

Previous

Return to Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests