jbrentd's 2nd Chance CQ - working that punchlist...

Document and share your build!

Re: jbrentd's 2nd Chance CQ - She Runs!

Postby jbrentd » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:57 pm

Spent some time in the garage today. Replaced a leaky fuel line. Had to make one.

Also started flushing the cooling system. While the car was idling, I did some clean and organizing to make room for the 3B. I grabbed my old radiator to throw it out. Glad I gave it good look because I noticed I never took the NLA lower rubber isolator off.

Snapped a couple pics too.

jbrentd

Postby jbrentd » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 am

I drove the car into work for the first time last Friday. My commute it ~20 miles, one way. The temps are pretty low while driving, like in the 60C to 70C range. They normalize when sitting still though. I can't remember if that normal for these cars.

Got one of these Bravo radios for cheap. Seems like people like them and they look way better that most aftermarket radios. If it's daylight, I can't see anything on my Kenwood that's in the car now, due to the reflections.

Made a run down the turnpike to my friends house to pick up the 3B. We did a quick compression test on it. 180, 165, 180, 180, 170. Got it home and on the stand.

jbrentd

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:07 pm

My Cq would be right in the middle of the coolant temp dial, summer or winter. It's possible you have too warm a thermostat.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby jbrentd » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 pm

I looked at my order on autohauzAZ. I bought the 80C version, rather than the 87C. That might explain it.
jbrentd

Postby jbrentd » Fri May 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Have just been working on odds and ends, lately. And driving the coupe a couple times a week to/from work. The no voltage issue at the hall sensor has come back many times lately, but each time, I just have to wiggle the connector at the ECU and it fires right up. Just one of those quirks, I guess.

Got some Euro bits in the mail today, for future use. 3B S2 intercooler and crossmember and an RS2 fan shroud to go with the 3B high powered fan. I need to figure out the wiring side of this.

jbrentd

Postby jbrentd » Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 am

Finally got around to flushing the cooling system, before adding some g13. 1st one on the left was just water. 2nd one, I ran some Prestone flush product for about 5 hrs of driving time.

jbrentd

Postby DE80q » Wed May 15, 2019 8:43 am

That...is...nasty... Glad you got that crap out of there.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q

Postby ChrisAudi80 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:28 am

Regarding that hall sensor on the dizzy, I had similar issues when my B4 had the 2.0 ABK, which is also a dizzy motor. It looks identical. Had to wiggle it or push on it and it started right up. Might just be a shitty/brittle wire connection in the connector. Old wiring.
96 S6 auto
95 80Q AEB VEMS
ChrisAudi80

Postby jbrentd » Thu May 16, 2019 7:20 am

ChrisAudi80 wrote:Regarding that hall sensor on the dizzy, I had similar issues when my B4 had the 2.0 ABK, which is also a dizzy motor. It looks identical. Had to wiggle it or push on it and it started right up. Might just be a shitty/brittle wire connection in the connector. Old wiring.

Yes, very much a possibility. Thanks Chris
jbrentd

Postby jbrentd » Wed May 22, 2019 7:42 am

Had some time to myself last night while the wifey was watching the Bachelorette with her girlfriends. So, I installed the Bravo radio (IND-600BT). Love it so far, especially for only $22. One thing I noticed...the Bravo radio accepts the exact style connectors as the OEM connectors. I would have tried to just "plug n play", but the harness had been hacked on before and totally new wires had been run to some of the speakers and they weren't run through the original connectors.

jbrentd

Re: jbrentd's 2nd Chance CQ - working that punchlist...

Postby ChrisAudi80 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:07 am

That old skool look. Nice.
96 S6 auto
95 80Q AEB VEMS
ChrisAudi80

Postby jbrentd » Tue May 28, 2019 8:12 am

ChrisAudi80 wrote:That old skool look. Nice.

Thanks.

I spent a little time yesterday messing with the coilovers and the ride height. Back when I bought all of the stuff for the DIY coilovers, I decided to go with 7"/300# and 8"/350# Eibach springs. Can't remember exactly why, but I do remember doing a lot of research and reading. So, I'm hoping/betting I made the right choice. However, the guy I sold the car to was the one to finish the coilover project and I think he put the fronts on the rear and vice versa. Currently, the 7" springs are on the front and the 8" springs are on the rear. With them installed like this, I ran out of adjustment in the rear. And there's another 2+ inches of adjustment on the fronts. So, it looks like I'll be swapping these at some point...probably when I install my stash of AKM bushings.

While I'm at it, I would also like to add some helper springs, because the springs are now losing contact with the upper piece when my suspension droops. Does anyone have suggestions on where to buy them? They seem too expensive for what they are...almost as much as the main springs. I assume there's some sort of piece that goes between the main and helpers springs too?

Front set up...

Rear set up...

How it sits currently...

jbrentd

Postby DE80q » Tue May 28, 2019 8:23 am

You can get "cheap" helper springs on eBay from multiple brands. As for the piece between then, there should be a piece yes. Energy suspension makes some, along with many other brands. As for the spring placement, I think you are right, they seem to be on backwards.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q

Postby jbrentd » Tue May 28, 2019 9:40 am

DE80q wrote:You can get "cheap" helper springs on eBay from multiple brands. As for the piece between then, there should be a piece yes. Energy suspension makes some, along with many other brands. As for the spring placement, I think you are right, they seem to be on backwards.

Thanks Dave, I found these on eBay. $65 for a pair. $130 for all 4 corners compared to $200+ elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/coilover-helpe ... 2749.l2649
jbrentd

Postby PRY4SNO » Tue May 28, 2019 5:11 pm

Yeah a lot of people put the higher spring rate in the rear to try to dial out understeer, maybe that's what the PO was going for?

Either way, that'll be a nice thing to have fixed going forward.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby jbrentd » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 am

So, it's getting pretty hot here in my part of the world, and I'd like to charge up the A/C system. But I need to sort out why the system won't direct the air to the main vents. I am only getting air out of the defrost vents, currently.

The flaps were recovered several years back. And the system holds a vacuum when I apply a vacuum at the line on the rear of the intake manifold. Vacuum unit "C" on the picture below was repaired when I had it all apart before, but it might be bad again. However, when I look at the diagram, I think my issue is with vacuum unit "B" (the only one that controls air to the instrument panel vents).

Before I start to rip the dash out, I'd like to do some less intrusive troubleshooting. Is the vacuum distribution thingy (circled in red) easily accessible? I'm wondering if I can get to it by removing the knee bolster?
jbrentd

Previous

Return to Projects