TCombs UrS4, Suspension question?

Document and share your build!

Re: TCombs UrS4, Steering rack boot.

Postby mrdeye » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:09 am

CVJ Axles remanufactures power steering racks. I believe they have one in stock. I was going to get it but I sold my S6. They pressure test them with air then with p/s fluid. They have been doing it for 31yrs. It might be around $350 + your core. Stevison Toyota West, over in Golden, Co is one of our biggest accounts. They stock our parts. :geek:
Matt
Daily driver: '01 Toyota 4Runner
Project car: '84 Audi Coupe GT
Previous cars:
'95 S6 Avant, '87 5K TQ, '95 VW Golf, '84 VW Jetta turbo diesel, '84 VW GTI
mrdeye

Re: TCombs UrS4, Steering rack boot.

Postby TCombs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:54 pm

I need some help. I know I have jumped around a lot asking different questions, I'm just trying to get a parts list together. But there are two things right now that need more attention then others.
First is my fan noise. I have a noise, almost like a bad belt and a roaring noise from the engine especially in first and second gear. I thought it was the belt tensioner bearing so I replaced that with a brand new bearing (Volvo). That didn't seem to help even though I was glad I replaced it because there was a ton of stuff inside. So next, I replaced the fan clutch bearing, both were posted earlier in this thread. Still the same noise. I think my next thing is to get the power steering pump replaced and change out the fan clutch. Would either of these things help with the noise I am experiencing?

Second, I need some brake help. I posted about this not to long ago and need some help finding some parts. I currently have 993 front brakes (big blacks, not the REDs/993 TT) They are just the standard Carrera 993 brakes. Finding pads wont be a problem, I just have to find 993 pads. The rotors are the item in question. 993 brakes have a big center sore, way bigger then Audi. The current rotors are a two piece crossed drilled rotor. I would like to stay with that design but I can find any rotors that work. I was doing some research but could quite find what I was looking for. I believe I can use D2 A8 rotors, but do I need the standard A8, A8L or S8 rotors. From what I could find they are all different. I would like to stick with a two piece but I can't find a two piece with the same hub bore as our Audi's. I think I can re-use my current hat but if I do I would like to find new hardware to go with it, if not get new hats depending on the cost.
I posted earlier and "vt10vt" had told me his experience and said to stick with 993 calipers. But I do have a set of 996 calipers. Would it be worth/easier to switch to the 996 calipers?

Any help would be greatly appreciate. I am still new to the UrS cars and need a bit of guidance.
1994 Audi URS4 Emerald Green
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Re: TCombs UrS4, Fan and brakes, again.

Postby speedydtp247 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:07 pm

To save money from throwing on parts to chase a noise buy this as this will help pin point where the noise is coming from exactly.
speedydtp247

Re: TCombs UrS4, Fan and brakes, again.

Postby TCombs » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:15 pm

I finished up my timing belt. Took a lot longer then I wanted but it was nice just being able to do it at work and not have it in the garage or anything like that. Broke a bolt at one point, then broke the screw extractor off in the bolt. One of the techs at work was there and use a pencil grinder and was able to get it out and re tap the hole, so all is good.
I used a kit I bought off a guy on MG. Used a gates racing belt that was the correct length and tooth number. I got id of my A/C condenser bc it was cracked and leaking, freed up some space between the rad and the frontmount so I have some more air flow now which is nice, while I was in there I also replaced the fan clutch. The car should run a bit cooler now, mainly at a stand still which is what I wanted. The radiator was filthy so I sprayed that out and got it as clean as possible, which I also think helped out a bit. It was a learning experience for sure. I had the hardest time getting the crank bolt off, I ended up using a torque multiplier that our Porsche techs use to get the center locks off our GT3RS and 918 Spyder wheels.
No more belt noise which is great and the timing belt is done, which is good to know.
Brakes and new Billy sport struts/shocks have been ordered! More to come soon.
Obviously everyone knows to replace your timing belt, especially if you don't know when it was last done. Even if the P.O says it was done recently, unless you can find proof, replace it. I just spent the last week at work replacing the engine on a 2001 S4 Avant 2.7T :shame: . I will post pictures here soon! Cost the guy quite a bit!
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Re: TCombs UrS4, Timing belt done!!

Postby IslandRinger » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Nice work! I desperately need to get mine done. Hopefully in the next short while. Got my kit from EFI Express.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:
2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 1.8T [DD/Family Wagen]
1996 Audi UrS6 [The Ongoing Project]

1986 Audi Coupe GT [SOLD]
IslandRinger

Re: TCombs UrS4, Timing belt done!!

Postby TCombs » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:40 pm

I ordered new Bilstein sport front and rear struts/shocks. I also found some of the KYB strut bearings that work well with our cars (info found on QW) but I was wondering what else I should do while I do the struts. Should I replace the strut mounts and bellows while I am in there? Any brand better then another for certain parts?
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Re: TCombs UrS4, Suspension question?

Postby IslandRinger » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:54 pm

TCombs wrote:I ordered new Bilstein sport front and rear struts/shocks. I also found some of the KYB strut bearings that work well with our cars (info found on QW) but I was wondering what else I should do while I do the struts. Should I replace the strut mounts and bellows while I am in there? Any brand better then another for certain parts?
Cheap insurance to do front strut mounts and bellows while you're at it. My rear mounts were in decent shape and cost a fortune for some reason so i opted to reuse the old. Check the condition of the bump stops as well. Mine were severely deteriorated.

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby TCombs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 pm

IslandRinger wrote:
TCombs wrote:I ordered new Bilstein sport front and rear struts/shocks. I also found some of the KYB strut bearings that work well with our cars (info found on QW) but I was wondering what else I should do while I do the struts. Should I replace the strut mounts and bellows while I am in there? Any brand better then another for certain parts?
Cheap insurance to do front strut mounts and bellows while you're at it. My rear mounts were in decent shape and cost a fortune for some reason so i opted to reuse the old. Check the condition of the bump stops as well. Mine were severely deteriorated.

Is there any brand you would rec? I will check at work and see what OEM will cost, if they are even available.
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby IslandRinger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:06 am

I believe I went with OEM replacements. I know the were other brands available but I went OEM for piece of mind and longevity. If not OEM, it was Febi I think. QuattroWorld forums does have discussions about the brands of strut mounts available. Don't recall if there were preferred brands. Worth looking into I suppose.

Tarpan (Victoria, BC)
Stable:

IslandRinger

Postby TCombs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:17 pm

IslandRinger wrote:I believe I went with OEM replacements. I know the were other brands available but I went OEM for piece of mind and longevity. If not OEM, it was Febi I think. QuattroWorld forums does have discussions about the brands of strut mounts available. Don't recall if there were preferred brands. Worth looking into I suppose.

I have read the suspension posts quite a but I must have missed it. I know they say not to use Meyle because they will fail but I couldnt find anything else. Ill try and find some more info and price them out. Would be nice if 034 or Apikol or someone would make a quailty mount.
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby ringbearer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Thuppu on S2 forum makes a nice set.
ringbearer

Postby TCombs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:03 pm

ringbearer wrote:Thuppu on S2 forum makes a nice set.

Thanks! I sent him a PM on there. Also inquired about rear brake brackets. Im am going through his thread right now!
2010 Audi A5 Meteor Gray
2006 Yamaha FZ6
TCombs

Postby ringbearer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 am

No problem!
ringbearer

Previous

Return to Projects