Mike's 4kq project

Document and share your build!

Re: Mike's 4ktq project

Postby AudiSport4000 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Small road trip update. Took the car to Euro Hangar, which is a euro show up in Holland, Michigan. Its about a 3hr drive there, and we ended up staying in Grand Rapids, and swinging down to South Haven the day after, so a nice weekend on the road with the 4kq. Car did amazing got I got a lot of people asking about it at the show. Its amazing the people you'd never think say "I owned one of these back in the day!"

I was in good company :)

I have not had to pretty up a car for a while. Tim Maskus was there with his rally car and was nice enough to snap a few pics of mine.

1986 4kq Commemorative Design
2012 Jetta TDI

Follow me on YouTube at Mike's Virtual Garage!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMvwkjuW7Ziy5pmfVh_PJQ/
AudiSport4000

Postby PRY4SNO » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:27 pm

AudiSport4000 wrote:
ringbearer wrote:I use diluted Simple Green and hot water, works great.

That is good to know because I have a lot of SG sitting around!! Much appreciated on that.

x2, thanks!!
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24vt 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar
PRY4SNO

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:54 am

Well crud, it doesnt seem any of my photos work anymore. I'll work on that at some point.

Car has been sitting in the garage and rarely driven, but thats ok. Scored a few small things from Audi Tradition which I'll add to the parts stash for much later. At this point I pretty much scrounge for oddball CE parts. Suspension and brakes are done, engine has about 3k on the timing belt service, exhaust is nice, etc. Car will get some winter duty here soon. Just tossed on the snows and did an oil change. There is a good chance I'll be looking for a new place with land in the future, so I'll be saving a few extra pennies for lodgings for more cars.

Only thing that is really new is a new stable mate. Snagged a 2018 GTI to tool around in. I had a 2010 and really enjoyed it. I missed something faster than my 4kq :)
2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Postby DE80q » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:55 am

Bad Mikey, bad! You don't buy another car when you want to go faster! You make the 4k faster! :P

Just messing with you! I was looking at a new vehicle myself, although, it won't be fast...
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2019 Chevy Cruze RS hatch (wife's little red sporty car)
DE80q

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:05 pm

DE80q wrote:Bad Mikey, bad! You don't buy another car when you want to go faster! You make the 4k faster! :P

Just messing with you! I was looking at a new vehicle myself, although, it won't be fast...

I was thinking about my original 4ktq project and how much easier it was since I was in college, had few bills, etc :). I still have no idea what route I'll go with the engine, but the car will be getting repainted when I do it, so the whole process will take quite a while.

I have been considering an additional project though. VW Caddy with a 5cyl swap (keeping it fwd though). I can dream :)
2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Only update is the trip to and from Carlisle. I procrastinated on getting the car ready and scrambled last minute. Thankfully I didnt really need to do anything except for swap on the summer wheels, toss in the nice floormats, replace the instrument cluster bulbs, and check fluids. With any trip I get a bit nervous but the car performed extremely well on the 15hr round trip. Only issue I came across was the upshift light not working anymore. No real plans for it this summer aside from a few other shows. Will tie up a few other loose ends and replace small parts, but she is good to go for a while now that all major service was done last year.

2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Postby jbrentd » Mon May 20, 2019 7:06 pm

Looks like a great show. I hope to make it some day. I enjoyed all the pics you posted on IG.
jbrentd

Postby AudiSport4000 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:30 pm

jbrentd wrote:Looks like a great show. I hope to make it some day. I enjoyed all the pics you posted on IG.

Come next year :)

Every show has its own feel. Carlisle is so relaxed and the venue really makes it enjoyable. I'm thankful to work directly with Carlisle every year so we have the same spot and everything we need. Attendance numbers are down from 10 years ago BUT that is due to varying factors. We had 51 cars this year which was really strong. We are going to get a dedicated website up for 2020 which will make a lot of things easier both for me and those going. I'd love to double our number for next year and will really challenge others to help promote the show.

Glad you enjoyed the photos. I didnt bring my camera but phones nowadays do such a good job I dont mind leaving the gear at home :) :)
2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 pm

Anyone have a source or hook up for 85-87 lower lip spoilers? Timing was never on my side whenever I looked for one over the years, but the 4kq is just asking for one.

Will be wiring in the fogs sometime soon to get those working. With all the work done last year there isnt a whole lot to do at the moment. Missed the local car show last weekend due to a funeral. Other things have occupied time this summer but end of summer and early fall bring pockets of time to work on cars. :D
2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Postby alxdgr8 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:05 am

Cupra R lip is cheap and I think looks pretty decent on facelift B2.

http://forum.irozmotorsport.com/viewtop ... 125#p80128

-Alex-
@vexartmedia @odd.cylinders @5cylinder_porsche
Odd Cylinders YouTube Page
1992 Porsche 968 (07K transplant in progress)
1983 Aud UrQ (MC1, GT2871R, IIc)
1985 Audi 4kq
2003 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood; DD; 6MT swap)
alxdgr8

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:58 pm

Yikes, been a minute! Update time :)

Covid has brought an interesting twist on things. Working from home has its benefits. I've been able to plan out and get a lot of stuff done on the 4kq. With Carlisle moved to August I have even more time to get stuff done.

Just some regular maintenance items done:
Oil, filter change
Air filter change
Headlight switch plug replace/re pin
Door latch/handle remove, lube, replace
New door strikers
Reinstall stock tail lights and reseal

I've had a slew of items/parts laying around for a while. These are next:
Transmission mounts and new hardware
Fuel pump, both filters
Fog light wiring
AC condenser/check/get working
Reverse lights not working
Fuel injector service
Rear defrost (quattro portion not working)
Install H4's and remove H1H4's

Lots of small details here and there, but I've begun driving this thing instead of the Jetta and its amazing.

Some photos of the less exciting processes in the garage ;)

2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:34 pm

Looks like I need to find a different place to host photos. Sorry about the ones in the thread not showing up :(

Got the fuel stuff under the car replaced. The pump that was on there (maybe original?), always made odder than normal noises. Bought parts a few years ago and went at it. Documented the best I could on my channel :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLfVH58BMM

- Bosch pump
- Filters (pre and post pump)
- Fuel pump bracket
- Fuel pump clamp
- Fuel pump and main filter mounts
- New soft line between pump/accumulator and accumulator/main filter
- Misc hardware as needed

Honestly I had never replaced anything except the main filter on any Audi I've owned. I wasnt prepared to replace any fuel line, but after I removed the pump and accumulator and assessed how fragile the plastic lines were, I knew replacing was the safest route. Aside from clocking the fuel pump so that everything fit right (due to the slightly larger diameter fuel line) it wasnt too bad. Pump is super quiet now and I should be all set for many years to come.

I'll be pulling the radiator next to get a very small seepage leak fixed. Once that is out I'll clean up the engine bay as well.
Still a lot to do, but if there wasnt it wouldnt be any fun :)
2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Postby DE80q » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:58 pm

I'm still waiting for the "T" part to happen. Good work on getting a ton of things sorted out. Maybe I'll see you next weekend.

Dallastown, PA
DE80q

Postby AudiSport4000 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:48 pm

DE80q wrote:I'm still waiting for the "T" part to happen. Good work on getting a ton of things sorted out. Maybe I'll see you next weekend.

Beat me to it :) I'll likely remove the "t" for now since that is more long term. If I could score an engine locally and cheap, maybe it would happen sooner? My thought for this is kind of wild...
Have everything on hand needed for the swap and spares if need be. Coordinate 3-4 other die hard Audi folks to my place. We see how fast (but being realistic and not rushing) we can get the swap done. This is if I go basic 10vt like I did with my original 4ktq. Thought it would be something fun to do as some have their specialties.

Maybe? :)
2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Re: Mike's 4kq project

Postby AudiSport4000 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:03 pm

Well, car made it to and from Carlisle with no issues. I was a bit nervous since I had just replaced all the fuel stuff underneath, but no leaks and I am rewarded with a super quiet pump now. Car got around 25mpg according to the computer, which seems accurate for the stops for fuel I made. Yet another yearly trip since 2004 without incident.

I was doing some vac line checks since my upshift light stopped working a few years ago and found a vac line I forgot to hook up after replacing the battery and negative cable. It was totally open on my trip to/from Carlisle. Guess thats my answer for the funky idle.

I was gonna pull the radiator next and have that serviced but I also ordered a cheap Amazon fog light harness. I'd like to install that this weekend to see how it works. Just deciding which video to film next for the channel ;) So much more to do but I've really enjoyed driving this car most of the summer.
2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:17 pm

Upon further investigation I found that the upshift light works when shorting the 2 wires together, so at least everything from there back is good. I saw Jim post something on one of the fb groups about the vacuum advance. I hadnt thought to check that, so I tossed my dads mightyvac on it, and no vacuum. I thought that it makes total sense if that isnt working then the upshift light wont work.
I did a lot of research and tried to find an OEM dizzy, but they are tough to find. After talking with another 4kq owner out in CA who recently got a reman unit, I rolled the dice and ordered one of those. I originally tried to find just the vacuum advance part, but its NLA and tough to find on its own. Got the dizzy and was really impressed with how nice it is. I've had a stockpile of OEM plugs and have had a new cap, rotor, and wires laying around for a few years. Tossed all of those in and ensured the timing was all dialed in.
Car runs great and the upshift light works again! I know some people think the light is pointless, but I like everything to work as it should if at all possible. I'll be getting a short video up of this shortly.

Just waiting on a spare defrost switch plug before I go at the fog light harness install. Hoping to wrap that up in the next few weeks. Will be cool to have working fogs that have been on the car for 3 years :)

I did also get some brand new H4's and another Amazon relayed harness. Contemplating ditching the H1/H4's for a while. Like everyone, I go through phases with lights and that sort of stuff.

Aside from that, we'll see what all I get done before winter. I really dont like working on stuff in the cold unless I have to. I'm also working from home until April at the earliest, so I'll have some fun in the snow with the car, but it wont get driven as much as it has been recently. Some of the items I wanted to get done will be on hold until the spring, which is ok with me.
2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Postby DE80q » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Nice work. Always satisfying to get something working as it should

As for working in the cold, nobody likes that... Maybe it's time to insulate the garage? I'll be working in that soon as well. Along with running new outlets and wiring.

Dallastown, PA
DE80q

Postby AudiSport4000 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 am

DE80q wrote:Nice work. Always satisfying to get something working as it should

As for working in the cold, nobody likes that... Maybe it's time to insulate the garage? I'll be working in that soon as well. Along with running new outlets and wiring.

The garage is actually pretty comfortable in the winter, so I'm just complaining :). I'll be home A LOT, so maybe I'll have to kick the Jetta out and only have the Audi in there.

Been considering moving elsewhere with more garage space, so we'll see what happens there.
2012 Jetta TDI

AudiSport4000

Previous

Return to Projects